X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Bow
    Still tender and callow f
    • Jul 2008

Political Science

When college folks say they are majoring in political science, what are they talking about?
    What courses do one take to get such a degree? What kind of employment does such a degree lead to?
    Is politics a science? Seems to me its more of a performance art.
    “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

Re: Political Science

Undergraduate

What is Politics?

Politics is the making of collective decisions. It is an inescapable part of our lives, like health: just as you can have good or bad health (but never no health), so politics around you can be good or bad but is never absent. It operates across all aspects of your life: from international affairs, to federal, state, and local government, to business, to universities, to all sorts of other arenas.

Understanding the dynamics of politics, and how to make them serve you, is a critical element of understanding and shaping your own life.

Why major or minor in political science?

The major or minor in political science teaches you how collective decisions are made—and how you can have a role in them—across all the arenas of your life. Our program prioritizes a concrete skill set of critical thinking, analytic and writing abilities, and sharp communication.

This skill set and knowledge base leads graduates into a huge range of careers in government, law, political activism, international affairs, business, journalism, social-studies teaching, or organizational management.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• TomF
      Recalcitrant Heretic
      • Jun 2003

Re: Political Science

In the schools I attended, PoliSci had a bunch of sub-disciplines in which one needed a certain number of course credits for a degree. Political theory (required survey courses of political philosophers over centuries, then study in specific topics or schools), comparative political systems, international relations and foreign policy, domestic politics specialization, empirical research methods, etc.

Most of my former classmates work in law or other professions, public administration, the media, management consulting, or are entrepreneurs. A few are academics.
      If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

Working...