PDA

View Full Version : Results of Termite tenting and an unexpected varnish test.



Jay Greer
09-02-2016, 06:03 PM
As most of you know, we had termites in one of the main mast spreaders of our H28 "Bright Star". I am happy to say that only the one spreader and no other components of the boat were infected. This was the result of using a scrap piece of ash that was already infected with one or two of the critters. The evidence showed up shortly after making a new spreader to replace one that was split from an over zealous, former, owner torquing down too much on one of the heel pivot attachment bolts. After making up the new spreader, I had found a neat pile of wood dust under a tiny hole in the tang slot of this rigging part. Having taken it to a termite exterminator and being told to toss it in a freeze locker for a week to kill the bugs I had followed their advise. And it appeared to work for several years until more bug poop and wood dust showed up on the canvas coach roof one day. This left us with no other choice but to pull the sticks and booms, lay then along side the hull on horses and tent everything, hull and all. The tent and gassing went on for three days over a fortnight just to be sure of total death to all the bugs, larvae and eggs as well as no taking of prisoners! Upon removal of the spreaders and opening the bad one on the band saw, it was obvious that no critters or their relatives survived. Again here is the photo posted earlier this month.
https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a6d909b3127cceececb58aab8f00000030O00QYsmrNy5bsQ e3nwg/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00107990352120160728164310098.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a6d636b3127cceecb64d7ebb7700000030O00QYsmrNy5bsQ e3nwg/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00107990352120160817171931034.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/A pair of new spreaders was made up out of some Hondurous that was left over from an other job. I made damn sure there were no bugs in the stock before starting into carve the shapes.

Jay Greer
09-02-2016, 06:28 PM
We had been forced to delay the haul out until we could get ready for the changes in rigging and tenting. In truth we usually haul every other season for doing a bottom job. But this time it was three and a half years since the last haul out and mast pulling. The amazing thing was that the varnish on the spars was still good and only required a washing to remove air born pollutants, a sanding with 120 grit paper and three coats of Behr Spar Varnish. the second coat was layed on as a hot coat with no sanding and the last was sanded with 180. Some on this forum will remember my speaking of the lasting qualities of this product as well as the fact that it was much more reasonably priced than other products that were advertised to be extremely durable. One of them has a name that sounds like a book from the Bible and has a cost that is both astounding as well as outrageous to the consumer that does not have a bottomless supply of funds! I did mention the fact that the EPA was forcing the Beher Co. to modify their product but their answer was to cease its manufacture rather than to compromise the quality there of. Any way here is how the spars looked after three and a half years of exposure to the elements 24-7. Pretty amazing?
The second photo shows the same spar after three fresh up coats. My wife Annie did the job along with Todd Rogers who owns Common Sense 1.
Jay
https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a3ce33b3127ccef40de39318b800000030O00QYsmrNy5bsQ e3nwg/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00107990352120131013010520966.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a6d636b3127cceecb6f9853ae600000030O00QYsmrNy5bsQ e3nwg/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00107990352120160818005112713.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Phil Y
09-02-2016, 08:32 PM
How was the bottom, and what bottom paint do you use?

chuckt
09-03-2016, 06:57 AM
I've heard tenting is horrendously expensive. My condolences.

Jay Greer
09-04-2016, 11:22 AM
How was the bottom, and what bottom paint do you use?
The bottom was fine but, the paint was getting thin as we dive and scrub once a month. We also change zincs when needed. We use Interlux Green "Ultra-Kote" which, is a hard bottom paint. It works very well for us.
Jay
https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d634b3127ccefd8bd203e81100000030O00QYsmrNy5bsQ e3nwg/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00107990352120110815224226910.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Jay Greer
09-04-2016, 11:25 AM
I've heard tenting is horrendously expensive. My condolences.
Tenting is expensive costing about the same as a bottom job. Sadly it is the only cure known to really kill termites. Those other highly touted treatments, like orange oil do not work!
Jay

Phil Y
09-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks Jay. Regular diving and scrubbing on hard paint looks effective.

Jay Greer
09-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Be sure to use scuba gear. This protects against any toxins getting into your innards!
Jay