PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana Flood Relief?

Chip-skiff
08-24-2016, 01:57 PM
I'd like to donate, but am not sure what the best recipient might be. The Red Cross is the default choice, but I've read that they divert quite a lot of donated disaster money to executive pay, administration, fundraising, and similar non-relief uses.

Here's a screen shot from Google (disregard the news link) that lists two groups besides the Red Cross. Does anyone have any experience with either of them, or the Red Cross in that area?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/M1Tu8j8MJFBLPBspDAkJvx4AGMSEIYYc11VuTYbmccdSjzY5VF 4dMiTb1uKvYavIrC7kM3roYDrdsD0m2WuDmXJk2fHdQv2tmbd_ t1FRMIl8zhNGfOL-QXNKx2qODzpWQY6FMk3kClWPieKiaNzABt6FlvxfCqp3ufGbZu UgpR1AyjNhUduRB-7LMzrkOKK7rXOJawnzRF8mvOc2LGKZEEqYVYbAKGTAC61eCnu-XK3jSCfLFSaEpKfa9mKvE9MKBifAFA9eye0_MiIJJLCXgWxCim OA-q0aFPm_jFJphBxZD6-zp8E_xVc8uHCYTT258hJTZB1TO32OBPNEZJ5EnOl1aOxXxmY_m VEtFuAxel8d91FFpBfRrkXVQVJ7bQeCpKQH2ZykseEuEZ-1JDusilHhqGKF0cZPhaItsp2Lat25WffO2iKzDWxk9mBreZB90 rPbINX3fkcx3NjgyEeemoCrDvSUe2VXfyHJic5Sn6dk-6ZfpGxrBgWyLsgrz4b8nF9T3qXf_oywNY6bxegW2jreaiYRJmg Xz2MVR5qw2iGZ21vvWA1hWMXr9yKu2dIp2p6ivBUUB-lznODhtipFtAgxTUJ8X98=w660-h416-no

Thanks in advance.

David G
08-24-2016, 02:19 PM
I don't know. But I know my own first email would be to Mercy Corps Intl. They are absolutely legit, and doing good work. Back when I had money... some it went there. If they're not working this flood... they'll know who's doing the best job.

https://www.mercycorps.org/countries/unitedstates

Chip-skiff
08-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Bump.

Try it again:

BUMP!

Bob Adams
08-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Agreed, NOT the Red Cross. They need to stick with blood services.

Chip-skiff
08-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Thanks, all. After looking at websites, I chose the Baton Rouge Area Foundation.

https://www.classy.org/events/louisiana-flood-relief-fund/e91206

They also have a First Responders Fund to help the families of police, firefighters, paramedics, et al. injured or killed in the line of duty.

Chip-skiff
08-25-2016, 02:45 PM
A member whose initials are B S was ranting about the president being on vacation when he should have been grabbing photo ops with flood victims.

The president has been to the flood area.

Has our Chief of Virtue Signals made a donation to the victims?

Or is that too obvious?

biga
08-25-2016, 03:02 PM
A member whose initials are B S was ranting about the president being on vacation when he should have been grabbing photo ops with flood victims.

Or is that too obvious?

well, if he told you he made a donation you would just ridicule him for "virtue signaling". if he doesn't tell you he did, he's a lying hypocrite. so basically, he can't win with you no matter what he's done. way to go buddy.

Steve McMahon
08-25-2016, 04:00 PM

Or is that too obvious?

I'm sure he has donated generously.
I haven't been following Trump news much, has he promised to build a wall to keep out the floods? If so, who is he going to make pay for it?

skuthorp
08-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Quoted "A once in 1000 year flood'' in live commentary. Is there any actual evidence for that?
Of course it doesn't mean that there won't be another next year.

Chip-skiff
08-25-2016, 04:53 PM

Had an attack of dyslexia: the initials are S B.

Chip-skiff
08-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Quoted "A once in 1000 year flood'' in live commentary. Is there any actual evidence for that?
Of course it doesn't mean that there won't be another next year.

That sort of flood ranking is based on a principle known as stationarity, which is said to apply to most types of time series data (rain events and floods included). A stationary time series is one whose statistical properties such as mean, variance, autocorrelation, etc. are all constant over time. The greater the duration of the data, or the number of recorded events, the greater the probablility that it will be stationary.

There's an increasing amount of discussion among hydrologists, climatologists, et al. over whether this principle can still be applied with any degree of assurance, with climate change being the source of unpredictability.

Steve McMahon
08-25-2016, 06:41 PM
That sort of flood ranking is based on a principle known as stationarity, which is said to apply to most types of time series data (rain events and floods included). A stationary time series is one whose statistical properties such as mean, variance, autocorrelation, etc. are all constant over time. The greater the duration of the data, or the number of recorded events, the greater the probablility that it will be stationary.

There's an increasing amount of discussion among hydrologists, climatologists, et al. over whether this principle can still be applied with any degree of assurance, with climate change being the source of unpredictability.

When I was involved with designing a new fire department 9 years ago the engineers wanted to build it on the 100 year flood level. I pushed to bring the grade a meter above that, we had donated fill and the cost was a mere $5,000.00 for trucking and compacting on a 2.5M project. Thankfully the committee agreed the cost was worth it. Twice now the building would have flooded if we had gone with the engineers advise. Sometimes common sense is more important than established rules.

bamamick
08-26-2016, 07:08 AM
We have been donating through our church, who is essentially just filling trucks and taking them over to Baton Rouge.

Since I am a big guy, I always go buy xxxl sizes of things to send out because I don't think many people think of that kind of thing. That and pet food.

The University of South Alabama and the U of A both filled their football equipment transport trailers up with goods and hauled them over there.

What one of the relief supervisor's said on NPR this week was that they needed WalMart gift cards moreso than any other individual item. That way people can buy things like medicines from their pharmacies.

Mickey Lake

Peerie Maa
08-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Had an attack of dyslexia: the initials are S B.

B S works as well.;)

wizbang 13
08-26-2016, 08:29 AM
Hmmm, BS actually ARE my real initials .
bfs

David G
08-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Hmmm, BS actually ARE my real initials .
bfs

Ain't THAT the truth??? <G>

OK... to be serious. One interesting thing for me. The Red Cross. It earned some bad publicity for paying such a low % of donations out into actual programs. The ratings agencies seem to be giving it higher marks these days. Is that right? The reputation still lingers...

Chip-skiff
08-26-2016, 12:21 PM
Just read an anecdote starring Oliver Sacks, who wrote books on the human mind and perception.

http://www.oliversacks.com/os/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/sacks_scourfield.jpg

When he was asked, at an airport, if he could donate clothing to disaster victims, he handed over his entire suitcase.