PDA

View Full Version : How to personally profit from running for President

Norman Bernstein
08-23-2016, 07:44 AM
Trump shows us how it's done :)

WASHINGTON ― After bragging for a year about how cheaply he was running his campaign, Donald Trump is spending more freely now that other people are contributing ― particularly when the beneficiary is himself.

Trump nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign, according to a Huffington Post review of Federal Election Commission filings. The rent jumped even though he was paying fewer staff in July than he did in March.

The Trump campaign paid Trump Tower Commercial LLC $35,458 in March ― the same amount it had been paying since last summer ― and had 197 paid employees and consultants. In July, it paid 172 employees and consultants.

“If I was a donor, I’d want answers,” said a prominent Republican National Committee member who supports Trump, asking for anonymity to speak freely. “If they don’t have any more staff, and they’re paying five times more? That’s the kind of stuff I’d read and try to make an (attack) ad out of it.”

In addition to the rent for Trump Tower space in Manhattan, Trump has paid his eponymous golf courses and restaurants more than $260,000 since his campaign and the RNC struck a joint fundraising deal in mid-May, after he essentially locked up the GOP nomination. On May 18, the day the fundraising deal was announced, Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach was paid $29,715; Trump National Golf Club in Jupiter, Florida, was paid $35,845; and Trump Restaurants LLC was paid $125,080, according to FEC records. Such large payments were much rarer when Trump was self-funding.

It’s unclear from the campaign filings the purpose of the golf course and restaurant payments, although both of the Florida golf courses hosted Trump campaign news conferences in March. Also unclear from the filings is whether Trump is using more space in Trump Tower than he was in the spring and, if he is, why, given that his staffing is lower.

The Trump campaign did not respond to The Huffington Post’s queries.

The FEC filings show that Trump began increasing the rent at Trump Tower starting with the May 31 payment of $72,800. The Trump campaign paid $110,684 in rent on June 9, and $169,758 on July 10.

The campaign’s number of paid employees and consultants went from 166 in May, to 139 in June, to 172 in July. How many of those actually worked in Trump Tower cannot be determined from the FEC filings, although typically only a small fraction of a presidential campaign’s staff works in the headquarters building. Last autumn, only about a dozen of the campaign’s several dozen paid employees worked in Manhattan.

Trump continues to fly to campaign events on his personal Boeing 757 airliner, even though the aging jet burns some $10,000 in fuel every hour. That has made air travel one of the biggest expense categories for his campaign. In July alone, $495,000 went to Trump’s company that owns the plane.

Prior to May, three-quarters of the $59 million spent by Trump’s campaign had come out of his own pocket ― meaning that whatever Trump charged his campaign for rent was largely coming from Trump himself.

That situation is now entirely reversed. Trump’s money makes up a tiny percentage of his campaign’s spending. The bulk now comes from outside donors, both small-dollar givers and those writing maximum-limit checks of $2,700.

“Nobody cares when you’re spending your own money, but when you’re spending the donor’s $27, that could cause problems,” the RNC member said, adding that small donors especially may not be sympathetic to Trump’s extravagance. “Most campaigns run on a much tighter budget.”

Old Dryfoot
08-23-2016, 08:03 AM
" I could be the first presidential candidate to run and make money on it."

peb
08-23-2016, 08:15 AM
I thought the thread was about Bernie Sanders from the title.

Norman Bernstein
08-23-2016, 08:21 AM
I thought the thread was about Bernie Sanders from the title.

I wasn't aware that Bernie Sanders was a billionaire who is leveraging his real estate, airplane, etc., to earn profits on campaign donations.

delecta
08-23-2016, 08:56 AM
Look at what HC has spent to be two points in the lead considering what a moron she is running against and start a thread about how pitiful she, you and the rest of the liberals are :)

Wouldn't that be more entertaining?

Norman Bernstein
08-23-2016, 09:16 AM
Look at what HC has spent to be two points in the lead considering what a moron she is running against...

That's a reflection of the morons, who are supporting the moron she's running against, not a reflection on Hillary.

delecta
08-23-2016, 09:34 AM
That's a reflection of the morons, who are supporting the moron she's running against, not a reflection on Hillary.

Yeah, you go with that if it makes you feel better. I know, you know, we all know HC is used up white trash and half the voting public will vote against her even after spending a billion dollars to try and convince us that she is actually better then Trump. Many things will be learned from this election, most importantly hope and change is a real desire.

Gerarddm
08-23-2016, 09:41 AM
What, pray tell, is your exact definition of " used white trash "?

My personal 'hope and desire' is that Drumpf be crushed in November and take down the GOP in the general debacle, but my guess is that his floor, as Clinton's, is 45%. The battle is over the middle 10%.

See my signature. ​Cathargo delenda est.

Kevin T
08-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Yeah, you go with that if it makes you feel better. I know, you know, we all know HC is used up white trash and half the voting public will vote against her even after spending a billion dollars to try and convince us that she is actually better then Trump. Many things will be learned from this election, most importantly hope and change is a real desire.

You're right many things will be learned from this election, and what we've already learned is that DT has zero chance of winning this election.

Another thing we've learned from this election, is that a percentage of the population completely lacks any semblance of critical thinking skills and will chow down with a knife and fork on every inane string of word salad that falls from DT's mouth and completely believe what he claims. I suppose SP started the trend and conditioned some people to believe such nonsense.

What's sadder still, is that some who should know better go for the ride in the Trump Klown Kar simply based on unfounded and baseless hatred for the other side.

oznabrag
08-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Look at what HC has spent to be two points in the lead considering what a moron she is running against and start a thread about how pitiful she, you and the rest of the liberals are :)

Wouldn't that be more entertaining?

From everything I've seen, Hillary doesn't have to spend anything to be 2 points in the lead.

oznabrag
08-23-2016, 10:37 AM
You're right many things will be learned from this election, and what we've already learned is that DT has zero chance of winning this election.

Nate Silver has him 5% more likely now than a week ago.

15.8% is NOT 'zero chance'.

Democratic complacency and overconfidence will put that scumbag in the White House.

Another thing we've learned from this election, is that a percentage of the population completely lacks any semblance of critical thinking skills and will chow down with a knife and fork on every inane string of word salad that falls from DT's mouth and completely believe what he claims. I suppose SP started the trend and conditioned some people to believe such nonsense.

I'm not entirely certain this is correct.

Electoral psychology is a weird, weird creature. Sure, there are some folks that are gullible in a childlike sort of way, but I would say that the great majority of Trumpists are simply angry, and are willing to vote for someone who expresses their fear and rage, even though they know it's irrational on a subconscious level.

Like your next line:

What's sadder still, is that some who should know better go for the ride in the Trump Klown Kar simply based on unfounded and baseless hatred for the other side.

delecta
08-23-2016, 11:46 AM
From everything I've seen, Hillary doesn't have to spend anything to be 2 points in the lead.

From what I read HC is going to have to spend every dime, nickle and penny she raises to even have a hope of wining, of course there is always a surprise a-waiting in October. On the bright side, money spent is great for the economy, what do they call it .....trickle down?

White trash: "The label signifies lower social class (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class) and degraded standards of living. The term has been adopted for people living on the fringes of the social order, who are seen as dangerous because they may be criminal, unpredictable, and without respect for authority whether it be political, legal, or moral"

John Smith
08-23-2016, 11:48 AM
He's a business man. He's giving them the business. Driven by profit.

oznabrag
08-23-2016, 12:03 PM
From what I read HC is going to have to spend every dime, nickle and penny she raises to even have a hope of wining, of course there is always a surprise a-waiting in October. On the bright side, money spent is great for the economy, what do they call it .....trickle down?

White trash: "The label signifies lower social class (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class) and degraded standards of living. The term has been adopted for people living on the fringes of the social order, who are seen as dangerous because they may be criminal, unpredictable, and without respect for authority whether it be political, legal, or moral"

I would say that an 85% chance is a pretty healthy 'hope of winning' (http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/).

John of Phoenix
08-23-2016, 12:09 PM
I would say that an 85% chance is a pretty healthy 'hope of winning' (http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/)."We create our own reality" extends to the reds' war on math.

Breakaway
08-23-2016, 05:28 PM
I think every candidate profits from running: books, speaking, prestige, influence.

How can you not profit?

Kevin

Norman Bernstein
08-23-2016, 07:25 PM
I think every candidate profits from running: books, speaking, prestige, influence.

None of those things represents profiting on donor contributions.

peb
08-23-2016, 07:26 PM

Really? You need to rethink this logic. She is an even worse candidate than I expected. I figured, with all of Trump's misteps, she would be a steady 8 points up by now. She can't Brea out, when Trump is coming off a horrible 3 weeks or so.

Norman Bernstein
08-23-2016, 07:35 PM
Really? You need to rethink this logic. She is an even worse candidate than I expected. I figured, with all of Trump's misteps, she would be a steady 8 points up by now. She can't Brea out, when Trump is coming off a horrible 3 weeks or so.

They are two candidates with extraordinarily high negatives, so it's not surprising that neither would be 'breaking out' at this.... or, frankly, ANY... point in the race.

We're rapidly approaching the point where the electoral possibilities mean a great deal more than the overall polls, however.

The most amusing thing, recently, was Trump and his surrogates trying to argue that the crowds at his rallies mean a great deal, and far more, than the polls. It's the sort of thing you say when you're losing at the polls.

It reminds me of the old lawyer joke: "When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When you have neither the facts, nor the law, on your side, pound the table vigorously.' :):):