PDA

View Full Version : Prøn

Duncan Gibbs
08-19-2016, 09:17 AM
https://c5.staticflickr.com/5/4091/5057137612_662a70e27e_b.jpg

Gerarddm
08-19-2016, 09:36 AM
Beautiful, but why are not the sails set the same fore and aft? It's like she is experiencing two different apparent wind angles within the length of her hull.

mmd
08-19-2016, 12:02 PM
I am not a square-rigger sailor by any stretch of the imagination, but I will offer up an educated guess:

Judging by the difference between ship's heading and wake trail, she is trying to counter leeway to starboard. From the set of the sails forward, I'd suggest that she is sailing nearly downwind. If she is sailing downwind, there shouldn't be leeway from the wind to contend with, so possibly she is steering into a current set. Doing this with all sails drawing would be hard on the helm, so possibly her master has set the mizzen sails to counter the current set, thereby making the ship easier to sail.

I humbly await correction by my betters...

gilberj
08-19-2016, 01:35 PM
I to have little time with the Square rig.
I think she is wearing ship. The yards have been braced around, and the yards on the fore either are now being swung or are about to be. With a fairly small crew, you work through it slowly.

mmd
08-19-2016, 02:10 PM
I keep looking back here to see how the ship is progressing along so we can determine what is actually happening, but she seems to be going awfully slow...