PDA

View Full Version : new guy....somewhat clueless but always ready to try things

oldmanriver1951
08-18-2016, 06:59 PM
Living in Bayfield WI in the Apostle Islands I guess it was only a matter of time before I got bit by the bug of boat ownership....thought I would be fine with a kayak or two...but stopped by a and say a wooden dinghy....always wanted a rowboat. Ends up I bought a Rhodes designed, 11 foot Penguin class racing dinghy that is also a nice little rowboat.Not sure exactly as to the build date, but the number on the daggerboard is 3125 and there is a brass medallion on the bow from the Skaneatales Boat Works of 1893. The owner thinks it is a 1939-ish build, but hard to place as the entire boatworks and records burned in 1930, and the business continued building them, in fact, plans are still available and the Penguin class enjoys a brisk run even today. The boat in of itself seems to be sound, came with all the original parts, oars, oarlocks, sails (3 of them) etc. Was in need of a bit of TLC, so have been sanding and re-varnishing, mahagony frame is truncheoned and still tight. The sides and bottom are still in good shape, and that will be the next part of the work, a new coats or 2 or 3 of paint never hurts.

If anyone has any ideas as to the age, history, etc. it would be most appreciative. The only 'glitch is when I have the 2 part mast assembled, it seems to catch half way up the mast, and trying to figure out how to maintain a strict 'tightness when assembled. Too tight...and you can't get it together or apart...too loose and the sail won't follow trough in the wooden mast channel. Three sets of sails, one was a low count egyptian cotton, one high count egyptian cotton and one dacron, with the Penguin insignia and racing number. If anyone has any ideas on how to keep the 2 part past together and tight, it would be most appreciative. Right now there are 3 stainless steel 'half sleeves' through bolted to the mast...but there is still some play involved and am looking for some kind of permanent fix so we won't have any problems out on the water.

I think this is going to be a fun little boat to putter around in, primarily as a rowboat...but would be fun to sail around the islands in up here....close to shore.....on calm days.....

Thanks in advance for any information or advice that can be handed down .....I've tried uploading a pic or two...but my limited computer skills seem to have flummoxed the computer....lol

track....proud owner of a very small potential hole in the water where my money can go.....

Jay Greer
08-18-2016, 07:28 PM
I remember, when I was a wee lad, envying the big kids with their fancy racing Penguins! All kidding aside, they are great little boats! Sorry, no specific info though.
Jay

oldmanriver1951
08-18-2016, 07:44 PM
appreciate the reply...think I'm going to have fun with it.....

johnw
08-18-2016, 08:43 PM
You don't really need to take that mast apart to transport it. The only reason it was a 2-part mast was that the Frostbite rule required the spars fit inside the boat.

oldmanriver1951
08-18-2016, 10:17 PM
You don't really need to take that mast apart to transport it. The only reason it was a 2-part mast was that the Frostbite rule required the spars fit inside the boat.
That would make transporting the boat back and forth a bit problematic......??? boat is 11 ft, trailer is 14 and the mast is 17/18 foot long???? Will keep working on it....always a challenge,,,thanks for the reply.....

track

johnw
08-19-2016, 03:29 PM
You can carry the mast on the roof of your car, have it project forward of the hull, or back from the hull with a red flag on it. Whichever is most convenient.

Tom Wilkinson
08-19-2016, 03:42 PM
You can carry the mast on the roof of your car, have it project forward of the hull, or back from the hull with a red flag on it. Whichever is most convenient.

Yep. A hobie 16 mast is 26'6" and far longer than the trailer or boat and easily transported in one piece.