PDA

View Full Version : It ain't your Grandad"s "Ben Hur".

Jim Bow
08-18-2016, 11:44 AM
New remake of the Heston classic, in which one charioteer says to another, "Are we having fun yet?". Obviously, the script was aimed at the post MTV generation, wherein abs are more important than ideas.

Paul Pless
08-18-2016, 11:47 AM
i saw the trailer for it and was astounded that anyone would even have the gall to remake much less with the cast they've chose and the re-written dialogue
dumbest **** ever

TomF
08-18-2016, 12:36 PM
It's still about making money, satisfying the tastes of the people buying tickets or doing all the downloading later on. It's easier to drape new clothes on a framework that's structurally sound too, and Ben Hur has the great advantage of not having had remakes attempted ever decade or so.

David W Pratt
08-18-2016, 01:43 PM
When I saw the original in HS, I remarked that it had a surprise ending, just when you thought it would never end,
it did

Hugh Conway
08-18-2016, 01:48 PM
It's easier to drape new clothes on a framework that's structurally sound too, and Ben Hur has the great advantage of not having had remakes attempted ever decade or so.

Framework? This is just repainting something, and it's much easier to get funding these days apparently, but much harder to do well. I struggle to think of the last remake that was even watcheable. So much is just unwatchable dreck. Framework is the hero of a thousand faces; the same stories told over and over.

Lew Barrett
08-18-2016, 04:14 PM
Morgan Freeman.....Oy!

oznabrag
08-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Morgan Freeman.....Oy!

It's gotten to where he'll make just anything!

Sort of the opposite career trajectory from Michael Caine.

birlinn
08-19-2016, 04:33 AM
New remake of the Heston classic, in which one charioteer says to another, "Are we having fun yet?". Obviously, the script was aimed at the post MTV generation, wherein abs are more important than ideas.
Any of the cast come out with "cool"?

skuthorp
08-19-2016, 06:03 AM
Surly it should have been: es nos usura ourselves etiamnunc? at least?:cool:

Vince Brennan
08-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Better yet, any eyeglasses or wristwatches?