PDA

View Full Version : Pole vaulting - My favourite athletics discipline

Syed
08-17-2016, 08:46 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ68W725vuBiAmjwsvbepz1f3EUrhKoH-BibwCbU8uWjXtQ9c7UuMI7IuUI4Q

I love watching the athlete flying/floating over the bar.
What is yours?

Paul Pless
08-17-2016, 08:48 AM
What is yours?

women's tennis

Paul Pless
08-17-2016, 08:51 AM
do i need to post a supporting photograph?

Paul Pless
08-17-2016, 08:52 AM
because i can if you need me to

Paul Pless
08-17-2016, 08:53 AM
its not a problem

amish rob
08-17-2016, 08:57 AM
They have a large pole vaulting competition near here every year. Pole vaulting from up close is VERY cool.

If it is to be tool assisted sport, I'll take bicycle track racing, preferably match sprints or keirin, but for simple human only sports, I really enjoy running. All disciplines, form sprinting through to ultra-marathon.

Peace,
Robert

Rum_Pirate
08-17-2016, 09:03 AM
Did you watch the Japanese competitor?

Have a look at these international news reporters

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37103648

and a video in this one

http://nypost.com/2016/08/16/penis-crushes-pole-vaulters-olympic-dream/

genglandoh
08-17-2016, 09:03 AM
My youngest son was a long distance runner in high school track.
Then one day he decided to try pole vaulting.
He got pretty good at it and was able to bend the pole just a little.

I asked him why did he decided to try pole vaulting.
He said for the challenge.

Syed
08-17-2016, 09:20 AM
do i need to post a supporting photograph?
That will make the thread a bit colourful. |:)

Gerarddm
08-17-2016, 09:24 AM
Some thirty years ago I spectated at the Wanamaker Games in NYC, a top flight annual competition. Saw Dwight Stones. The whole thing was pretty engrossing.

ron ll
08-17-2016, 10:01 AM
I lost interest in pole vaulting when the fiberglass poles became spring loaded canons. (Yeah, I know, it was a long time ago, but so am I. :) ) The high jumpers can get over something as high as the ceiling in your house just by jumping off the ground, no springs required.

stromborg
08-17-2016, 12:24 PM
Every athletic endeavor has it own moments of grace
http://image.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width960/img/oregonian/photo/2012/06/-319f4971308400c1.JPG

Osborne Russell
08-17-2016, 12:38 PM
Keep your eye on the Mexican team. Gonna be a high wall they're a-gonna pay for.

switters
08-17-2016, 12:40 PM
because i can if you need me to

yes, because this thread needs something other than pole vaulters.

George Jung
08-17-2016, 12:45 PM
I'd like a video, Paul. You know which one.

oznabrag
08-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Two athletes meet up in the Olympic village.

Athlete #1: Are you a pole vaulter?

Athlete #2: No, I'm German - but how did you know my name vass Valter?

George Jung
08-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Ya'know, as regards that video - the greater pity would've been if he hadn't snagged the crossbar.....

Chip-skiff
08-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Since I couldn't run worth a damn, our high school track coach made me a pole vaulter.

The poles were made of aluminum— that's how long ago this took place. Just before the state meet, coach bought new fiberglass poles to use next season. I broke my metal pole with my first vault, so he pulled out a 'glass one to test on me.

When it hit the box, that sucker bent nearly double and flung me. I cleared the bar in a sitting position by about three feet (!) and flew entirely over the landing pit (foam blocks in a mesh bag) and landed on my hands and knees about ten feet farther on. Oww-itch!

It spooked me so bad that on my next vault, I choked and ate the bar.

The end of my pole-vaulting career.

Syed
08-18-2016, 12:28 AM
Since I couldn't run worth a damn, our high school track coach made me a pole vaulter.

The poles were made of aluminum— that's how long ago this took place. Just before the state meet, coach bought new fiberglass poles to use next season. I broke my metal pole with my first vault, so he pulled out a 'glass one to test on me.

When it hit the box, that sucker bent nearly double and flung me. I cleared the bar in a sitting position by about three feet (!) and flew entirely over the landing pit (foam blocks in a mesh bag) and landed on my hands and knees about ten feet farther on. Oww-itch!

Thank you Chip, for sharing your experience.
It is an interesting but sad story that you could not adjust with the changed pole.

goodbasil
08-18-2016, 01:46 AM
Always liked synchronized swimming. Because if one drowns the other has to too. That look on the face of the second one just kills me.

JayInOz
08-18-2016, 02:03 AM
women's tennis

Ah yes- the sweet sounds of dogs being stomped to death. JayInOz

Rum_Pirate
08-18-2016, 04:55 AM

Congratulations. Far better than I would have been able to do. Well done - well the first one anyway.

Syed
08-18-2016, 05:25 AM
Every athletic endeavor has it own moments of grace
http://image.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width960/img/oregonian/photo/2012/06/-319f4971308400c1.JPG

Great shot !

skuthorp
08-18-2016, 06:45 AM
Distance running. Man is an evolved running animal though some of us have forgotten how.

4th para down.
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2012/06/long_distance_running_and_evolution_why_humans_can _outrun_horses_but_can_t_jump_higher_than_cats_.ht ml

amish rob
08-18-2016, 09:09 AM
I will turn anyone back into a runner. I just paced a guy on a half marathon last Saturday.

My pet right now is the study of persistence hunting. We can run down anything on four legs, literally run it to death, or near enough to just bop it on the head or wring its little neck.

Roving gangs of deer chasers don't sound as impressive as club wielding mammoth killers, do they?:)

And, no, it isn't bad for your feet, knees, or back.

Peace,
Robert

Pole vaulting is still wild to me. I just don't want to FALL from that high! :)

Paul Pless
08-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Roving gangs of deer chasers don't sound as impressive as club wielding mammoth killers, do they?:)I'm with Jared Diamond on this; he hypothesizes that if Clovis people did in fact hunt and kill mammoths, they only did so once every two or three generations. Then they talked it up really good for decades. :D

Paul Pless
08-18-2016, 09:19 AM
I will turn anyone back into a runner.I have no knee cartridge in my right knee at age 45, plus the scarring and arthritis from having torn my acl, mcl, and broken my kneecap in my youth - all at the same time . I will never run again. I have in the last year gotten back into cycling though, something I have not done since getting my first driver's license. Its been very good for me. Would like to add swimming to the regime. . .

amish rob
08-18-2016, 09:27 AM
Paul, check out Michael Sandler. He got me back on my feet after I damaged my spinal cord. Granted, back, but I have helped lots of people. Your body is amazingly resilient...

I am am a lifelong devotee of the bicycle. I still use one daily. Mostly to pop wheelies and carve berms with youngest son in the back yard.

You probably don't all know I am a big old kid. I will follow an ant trail with the best of em...

Also, swimming may be the best exercise in the world. A good crawl will work your whole body, and I think the immersion brings us back to the womb a bit, you know? Especially open water, where you can't see the bottom...:)

Peace,
Robert

Paul Pless
08-18-2016, 09:30 AM
had to make my syntax more terriblerlol

amish rob
08-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Haha. Sometimes words are art, too. At least in our own minds.

Your art is ugly! :) hahahahaha. I know it is. I make it ugly on purpose. Lots of thought goes into sounding so childlike and foolish all the time. :)

It's all LaoTzu, Yoda, and Shakespeare's faults. ;)
Peace,
Robert

oznabrag
08-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Haha. Sometimes words are art, too. At least in our own minds.

Your art is ugly! :) hahahahaha. I know it is. I make it ugly on purpose. Lots of thought goes into sounding so childlike and foolish all the time. :)

It's all LaoTzu, Yoda, and Shakespeare's faults. ;)
Peace,
Robert

Wait . . . . Maybe you DO sound like bobbys!!!!

:D

amish rob
08-18-2016, 11:01 AM
I promise I ain't. I'm just a person following the way.

And, I came here a long time ago, got mad guff then, too, then broke my back all up and spent years trying to walk again.

I was shocked I remembered my password, so here I am.

Sorry if I am weirding you all out, and if you think I'm someone else.

Not offended, I think it's funny, too. Really, it kind of creeps me out.:d

Peace,
Robert

oznabrag
08-18-2016, 11:16 AM
I promise I ain't. I'm just a person following the way.

And, I came here a long time ago, got mad guff then, too, then broke my back all up and spent years trying to walk again.

I was shocked I remembered my password, so here I am.

Sorry if I am weirding you all out, and if you think I'm someone else.

Not offended, I think it's funny, too. Really, it kind of creeps me out.:d

Peace,
Robert

I don't think you're bobbys.

It's just that 'a lot of his thought seems to go into sounding so childlike and foolish all the time'.

He REALLY tries.

When he wants to sound smart and sane, he does so without a hitch.

Syed
08-18-2016, 11:16 AM
Wait . . . . Maybe you DO sound like bobbys!!!!

:D
I think not. |:)

amish rob
08-18-2016, 11:36 AM
I don't think you're bobbys.

It's just that 'a lot of his thought seems to go into sounding so childlike and foolish all the time'.

He REALLY tries.

When he wants to sound smart and sane, he does so without a hitch.

Geez, maybe I AM him?! :d

Youse guys really are great.

Peace,
Robert