PDA

View Full Version : The hated 3M 5200

gaff cutter
08-15-2016, 10:00 AM
I have successfully stayed away from this stuff until now. Just purchased a sailboat on which the previous owner lathered 5200 around the deck opening for the keel-stepped mast. And I do mean lathered. Between the mast and deck is a ring of the stuff about two inches wide and 5 inches deep. I have begun to slice it with a very sharp knife and saw through it with a small saw blade. It is tough going. Because of the situation it is impossible to use a cheese-cutter type wire both because I can't reach through the deck and because the 5200 surrounds a few wood wedges. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Paul Pless
08-15-2016, 10:23 AM
A friend with a fiberglass boat repair shop uses this. It gets good reviews.

its active ingredient is an acetate which works to dissolve the bond, it has a secondary surfactant ingredient which serves to help it penetrate the goop

http://cdn3.volusion.com/hnfte.eazrs/v/vspfiles/photos/130314-2.gif?1466502470

Dave B
08-15-2016, 12:05 PM
I've had excellent results as well with the DeBond product. Works on both the 5200 and 4200. Just give it time to work once you've applied it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaff cutter
08-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Paul, thanks for that fast response. I've seen other posts and you are a gem on this forum. I thought I'd let you know that I called the company in Florida for advice. One of the owners, Rob King, answered immediately and not only carefully described what I needed to do, but gave me his cell number to call when I actually start the task of debonding this big ring of 5200 from the mast.

WoodyHuscarl
08-15-2016, 12:25 PM
If the blob is that big and that deep, you might try squirting some of the debonding agent through a meat syringe into the middle, and close to the bottom of the blob. Might make it easier to remove larger chunk. Just be careful that the debonder won't damage your boat through prolonged contact.

signalcharlie
08-15-2016, 12:42 PM
...not only carefully described what I needed to do...

and what did he describe?

3M sells an adhesive remover, I have been told that that works by a local rigger.