PDA

View Full Version : Riot breaks out in Corsica over taking a picture.

genglandoh
08-15-2016, 08:17 AM
According to the news reports
1. A tourist takes a picture of a beach.
2. A North African women wearing a Burkina was in the photo.
3. Some North African teens argued with the tourist about the photo.
4. Some local teenagers started to defend the Tourist.
5. Some North African men then arrived with hatchets and harpoons and attacked the local teenagers.
6. The some local men arrive and a full riot takes place.

Title: Man 'injured by harpoon' during riot on Corsica beach after tourist takes photo of woman in burkini
Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/14/man-injured-by-harpoon-during-riot-on-corsica-beach-after-touris/

Title: Corsica brawl: Five hurt in clashes on French beach
Link: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37077837

Duncan Gibbs
08-15-2016, 08:26 AM
I've an idea: Let's simply ban religion. That, or simply tax the hell out of it.

If there's some kind of conflict between Islam and Christianity, ban 'em both. Seems fair to me.

Ian McColgin
08-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Interesting. Both headlines accurate. Both stories good with differing emphasis.

Peerie Maa
08-15-2016, 08:33 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37079901

Shots have been fired during new protests in the US city of Milwaukee, police say, as demonstrators took to the streets for a second night.
Protests erupted on Saturday after Sylville Smith, 23, was shot dead in a police chase.
Mayor Tom Barrett said Smith, an African-American, did not drop a gun he was holding when told to do so.
Police violence against the black community in US cities in the past two years has prompted huge protests.
The Milwaukee Police Department tweeted (https://twitter.com/MilwaukeePolice?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5E serp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor) that shots had been fired at several locations before and after midnight on Sunday local time.
Rocks were also thrown at police as they attempted to disperse crowds in the Burleigh area. Officers were making "multiple arrests" in the Sherman and Burleigh districts, police said.
One civilian had earlier been taken to hospital after he suffered a gunshot wound.
Local news footage also showed a car on fire.

Ian McColgin
08-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Nick, did you mean to post to a different thread? Not quite getting the relevance.

Sky Blue
08-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Nick, did you mean to post to a different thread? Not quite getting the relevance.

The new game in here, Ian, is to post a gun violence statistic or event as a response to Americans having opinions or commentary on events of substance or concern in Europe.

It's the weakest, most dishonest debate and discussion tactic one could engage in. Pure deflection.

You can't see the relevance, Ian, because there isn't any. That's intentional.

Ian McColgin
08-15-2016, 09:43 AM
I suppose Sky Blue's presumption at #6 could be correct but if Nick meant to post this story in the more relevant thread - http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?210830-Another-Police-shooting-this-time-Milwaukee -
then he would be adding more coverage than the OP and certainly maintaining relevance utterly lacking in any attempt to make the Milwaukee situation a matter of partisan politics.

Peerie Maa
08-15-2016, 10:52 AM
What is politically partisan about threads about violence in Europe or the USA?

Osborne Russell
08-15-2016, 11:23 AM
It's the weakest, most dishonest debate and discussion tactic one could engage in. Pure deflection.

Yeah but what about Hillary's failed foreign policy under Obama? And the guy who's been unemployed for four years?

SKIP KILPATRICK
08-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Not to make light of a serious incident; but, outside of 19th century Nantucket......where does one find a harpoon laying around?

CWSmith
08-15-2016, 12:01 PM
I've an idea: Let's simply ban religion. That, or simply tax the hell out of it.

If there's some kind of conflict between Islam and Christianity, ban 'em both. Seems fair to me.

This is not about religion. It is about stupidity. And, no, they are not the same thing.

Vince Brennan
08-15-2016, 12:23 PM
The new game in here, Ian, is to post a gun violence statistic or event as a response to Americans having opinions or commentary on events of substance or concern in Europe.

Getcha' tinfoil hats at Sky Blue Stores! Wotta maroon.

Peerie Maa
08-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Not to make light of a serious incident; but, outside of 19th century Nantucket......where does one find a harpoon laying around?

http://ambushxtremeoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/MICK-CURLEY_RLZ_HIGH-RES-0554.jpg

You do need warm seas to make them worthwhile.

Peerie Maa
08-15-2016, 12:33 PM
This is not about religion. It is about stupidity. And, no, they are not the same thing.

Yes it is stupid when two groups of totesterone fuelled youths start scrapping you ban women from dressing as they chose.

genglandoh
08-15-2016, 02:08 PM
Yes it is stupid when two groups of totesterone fuelled youths start scrapping you ban women from dressing as they chose.

If the North African teens were just arguing with the tourist I would agree.
But if they were attacking the tourist physical then it was a good thing the local teens got involved.

BTW Corsica did not ban any outfits until after this riot.

bamamick
08-15-2016, 03:05 PM
Tuna fishermen use harpoons, do they not?

Mickey Lake

Daniel Noyes
08-15-2016, 04:02 PM

it's actually a clash between Islam and Secularism... I like your idea thogh Dunc... Let's BAN Islam and Secularism!!! :D

John Meachen
08-15-2016, 04:18 PM
it's actually a clash between Islam and Secularism... I like your idea thogh Dunc... Let's BAN Islam and Secularism!!! :D

Please explain why Christianity should be excepted.

Daniel Noyes
08-15-2016, 04:28 PM
Please explain why Christianity should be excepted.

because Duncan awkwardly tried to drag Christianity into this thread... trying to spread (shift ;)) the blame maybe?
the OP makes no mention of Christianity in this scuffel/riot... there is no rational, fair minded reason to include it.

France is a overtly Secular country, the French are very proud of their secular history and traditions... and they seem to be having issues with extremist Islam as of late... do you disagree?

John Meachen
08-15-2016, 04:38 PM
because Duncan awkwardly tried to drag Christianity into this thread... trying to spread (shift ;)) the blame maybe?
the OP makes no mention of Christianity in this scuffel/riot... there is no rational, fair minded reason to include it.

France is a overtly Secular country, the French are very proud of their secular history and traditions... and they seem to be having issues with extremist Islam as of late... do you disagree?
I do disagree that France is an overtly secular country.They have a long Catholic tradition,but are less inclined to adhere to it these days.It is definitely true that they have had problems with radical Islam lately.The French ideal of liberty was illustrated to me recently when I saw two families relaxing on the beach.The wife of the Moslem couple was dressed in a head to toe black tent and the French wife was wearing the lower half of a bikini-more importantly both sets of children appeared to be enjoying their day at the beach and nobody was taking pictures.

Daniel Noyes
08-15-2016, 04:45 PM
...appeared to be enjoying their day at the beach and nobody was taking pictures.

that's it!... we should ban photography. :)

Kevin T
08-15-2016, 05:16 PM
Serious question for Geng.

Are any of these movies among your favorite movies, assuming of course that you like to spool up the occasional DVD.

In no particular order:
The Postman
Waterworld
The Book of Eli
Escape from New York
Any of the various Mad Max movies.
Nightmare on Elm Street
Independence Day

And just for fun:
Any Japanese monster movie(s).

Breakaway
08-15-2016, 10:22 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=4979691#post4979691)

Any fishing tackle supplier catering to offshore fisherman.

You do need warm seas to make them worthwhile.

Nope. We use them all the time at about N41 00 00

After fighting the fish to the boat on rod and reel, we can use a flying gaff or a harpoon. The harpoon is often safer, since the head is buried in flesh and when thrashing, the fish isn't wielding a 6 pound, sharpened weapon, as it is with a fly gaff head.

Kevin