PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone play Golf?

genglandoh
08-15-2016, 06:51 AM
We have a small golf group in our neighborhood and they play every other weekend.
They also put together a once a year a couples scotch doubles golf event.
You play with another couple and your golfing partner is the other couples wife.
The rules are you both tee off pick the best tee shot then you alternate using the same ball.
The round goes fast because you are basically playing with only 1 ball for 2 people.
After the 18 holes we then go to dinner and small prizes are awarded.

This year my wife and I decided to participate.
My wife was very worried because the last time we played gold was about 3 years ago.
We were paired up with some old friends so our poor showing did not matter.

It was great fun.

Michael D. Storey
08-15-2016, 06:54 AM
No. No one plays golf.

Paul Pless
08-15-2016, 06:54 AM
i would like to pick the sport up again
now that i've given up talking about politics on the internet perhaps i'll have the time :D

skuthorp
08-15-2016, 06:55 AM
"Good walk ruined":d

OTOH……………… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP19RVlac7o

mmd
08-15-2016, 09:13 AM
I play a game or three a year usually, and usually with my brother-in-law when he comes back to Nova Scotia for a visit. He grew up in Lunenburg and I spend a fair amount of time there, so we get to have a relaxing few hours to walk and catch up, with a background that is pretty nice. Hilly course, though...

http://bluenosecoast.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/NS-Culture-Tourisim-Heritage-Picture-040.jpg

hokiefan
08-15-2016, 09:38 AM
I used to play regularly back when I was in college. Had a decent long game, but like many my short game sucked. I could hit all of the shots, but not consistently. But I could play well enough to have fun. Fast forward a few years. I was married, trying to fix up a house so time for golf just wasn't a priority. I only played every 2-3 years when my FIL was in town and wanted to play. The last time we went out I played horrible. Just horrible.

Then on the 17th hole I put a full 7 iron about 5 feet from the pin, perfect shot. I stalked back to the cart and slammed the club into the bag. My FIL looked at me funny and asked, "What's up?" I replied, "I finally play bad enough that I could walk away from the game forever, and then I hit a shot that makes me think I could learn to play it..." He laughed, "The most frustrating game known to man." And that was the last time I've played golf.

Cheers,

Bobby

Paul Pless
08-15-2016, 09:43 AM
"I finally play bad enough that I could walk away from the game forever, and then I hit a shot that makes me think I could learn to play it..." He laughed, "The most frustrating game known to man." And that was the last time I've played golf.

Cheers,

Bobby

it was never the really the result of the really tight shot that got to me most; it was that feel of a soft golf ball struck really well in the sweet spot of a long iron

that's what i longed for most, if you had that swing you can shape most any shot - when i stopped playing often enough that i lost that feel consistently, i gave up the game

mmd
08-15-2016, 09:46 AM
The game has increased my joke repertoire wonderfully...

pkrone
08-15-2016, 10:06 AM
I quit playing about 8 yrs ago and recently started playing a little. The break really seemed to help my swing. That and a degree of maturity. I seem to be more aware of what's going on with my swing now and am able to fix things more easily rather than getting "stuck". I don't get upset if my game sucks at times either. I've found a couple of buddies to play with and it helps that our wives have become good friends.

SchoonerRat
08-15-2016, 11:09 AM
I played once. Shot a 54.

I did much better on the second hole though.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-15-2016, 11:18 AM
I'm too poor to play golf.
Besides I could never wear those pants with a straight face.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-54187889/turbine/sns-crazy-golf-pants-pg

genglandoh
08-15-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm too poor to play golf.
Besides I could never wear those pants with a straight face.

The cost was very high yesterday.
2-18 holes plus cart was $88.
Fee for the cash prizes was only $10.
Dinner was $60

Once every few years is OK but not every week.

mmd
08-15-2016, 03:00 PM
The local course full-member fees are $400 per year, which includes a $75 bar tab...