PDA

View Full Version : Patriotism and Nationalism used to stifle dissent... troubling change in US politics

Daniel Noyes
07-29-2016, 08:44 PM
Did anyone hear the Chant of USA USA USA being used to drown out dissenting voices at the Dem Convention... talk about a cynical, and Demagogic use of patriotism and Nationalism... what is happening to the Dem party... becoming the party of Multinational Corporations and Repressive abuse of Patriotism...

Tom Montgomery
07-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Why do you hate the USA and US patriots?

What is wrong with you?

How old are you?

Osborne Russell
07-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Did anyone hear the Chant of USA USA USA being used to drown out dissenting voices at the Dem Convention... talk about a cynical, and Demagogic use of patriotism and Nationalism... what is happening to the Dem party... becoming the party of Multinational Corporations and Repressive abuse of Patriotism...

It's just dumb Democrats being dumb, thinking they have to out-Trump Trump.

USA USA USA = Sieg heil

skuthorp
07-29-2016, 09:11 PM
USA! USA!………………. Make America great again……….. meh...

"Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels"

Tom Montgomery
07-29-2016, 09:21 PM
USA USA USA is a silly and mindless chant.

That has been popular since "The Miracle On Ice" in 1980.

"Popular" is WAY over-rated. Don't get me started.

Daniel Noyes
07-29-2016, 09:28 PM
It's just dumb Democrats being dumb, thinking they have to out-Trump Trump.

USA USA USA = Sieg heil

you may be on to something there... A NAZI like mindless chant.

Interesting that the Democrats chose to use USA as a chant to drown out calls for Peace/Anti War at the Convention.

Tom Montgomery
07-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Do you honestly think... oh... on second thought... never mind.

Of course you do not. It is all trollish nonsense.

Sky Blue
07-29-2016, 09:48 PM
It is actually an interesting observation about the Democratic Party coalition in the context of Trump. The chant is bellicose and jingoistic and does indeed come with the implication that dissenters are unpatriotic. That Clintonites would use the chant against dissenters on the far Left would make sense, that is, to act on principle such that Mr. Trump might be elected is itself an unpatriotic act. Don't you love your country?

It is coercive, but that is the Left these days. Of course, Mrs. Clinton herself is such a corrupt, dishonest, unsavory, untrusted and disliked figure one can very easily make the converse case that to act in support of her election is itself astonishingly unpatriotic. You wouldn't get any argument from me.

Boatfix
07-29-2016, 09:57 PM
It is actually an interesting observation about the Democratic Party coalition in the context of Trump. The chant is bellicose and jingoistic and does indeed come with the implication that dissenters are unpatriotic. That Clintonites would use the chant against dissenters on the far Left would make sense, that is, to act on principle such that Mr. Trump might be elected is itself an unpatriotic act. Don't you love your country?

It is coercive, of course, but that is the Left these days. Of course, Mrs. Clinton herself is such a corrupt, dishonest, unsavory, untrusted and disliked figure one can very easily make the converse case that to act in support of her election is itself astonishingly unpatriotic. You wouldn't get any argument from me.

The political theater is skillfully executed enough to bamboozle some into going along with your described implications. I am amazed sometimes at the outlandish malarky seen put forth by the left and I have to ask myself, who could fall for such drivel. You have to hand it to the democrats, they certainly "go for it" no matter how goofy the claims may be. With most of Americans focusing on terrorism, immigration, and the economy, Trump still has a damn good chance of winning.

Lew Barrett
07-29-2016, 10:14 PM
We coopted your slogan. I love it! Even better, you guys are confused about it. Wait until you find and identify the Republicans who won't vote for Trump.
They won't even come out in the open, they're so flummoxed. We don't do fatwahs, but the reason the No more war splinter got drowned out is because there were twenty of them in the crowd.. All from Cali, Sky, and shouting no more war, which is a nice thought. But they were shouting it while some of the many top military men and women who support Hillary were on stage, which was stupid.

We have our crazies too. Take Cornell West. PLEASE!

Daniel.... I expect you to know who Cornell West is. He talks on NPR sometimes. More's the pity. He's the third least intelligent doctor I have heard speak who thinks he understands politics. If you don't know who Cornell West is, you should look him up too. Although if I were you and in this condition, I'd just allow myself not to know who Cornell West is and add it to the other things I was ill informed about.

Barry
07-29-2016, 11:07 PM

As opposed to the Cult of Personality Nuremberg reenactment, that took place in Cleveland?

Lew Barrett
07-29-2016, 11:27 PM
I
It is coercive, but that is the Left these days. Of course, Mrs. Clinton herself is such a corrupt, dishonest, unsavory, untrusted and disliked figure one can very easily make the converse case that to act in support of her election is itself astonishingly unpatriotic. You wouldn't get any argument from me.

What's to be done with all those unpatriotic Americans? Shall we ask Putin? He knows how to deal with opposition. Let's cozy up. What could possibly go wrong? Look at all the great stuff that comes from having Russia as an ally and trade partner.

Lew Barrett
07-29-2016, 11:29 PM
You Bet. USA! USA! Why do you hate the USA, boatfix?

PeterSibley
07-29-2016, 11:47 PM
The political theater is skillfully executed enough to bamboozle some into going along with your described implications. I am amazed sometimes at the outlandish malarky seen put forth by the left XXXXXX and I have to ask myself, who could fall for such drivel. You have to hand it to the democrats, they certainly "go for it" no matter how goofy the claims may be. With most of Americans focusing on terrorism, immigration, and the economy, Trump still has a damn good chance of winning.

and the Right . I'm surprised all American don't just stay home.

TomF
07-30-2016, 07:52 AM
you may be on to something there... A NAZI like mindless chant.

Interesting that the Democrats chose to use USA as a chant to drown out calls for Peace/Anti War at the Convention.damn shame when folks steal the Republicans' schtick, eh? But it had seemed that you'd started to abandon this one in Cleveland in favour of the much gentler and kinder "Lock Her Up."

CWSmith
07-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Calls to kill Hillary were present at the GOP convention and Daniel is offended by a chant of "USA"?

Trump is singing the praises of Putin and calling for the Russians to commit espionage within the borders of this country and Daniel is offended by a chant of "USA"?

Pence promotes legislation to openly deny civil rights to people with sexual orientation different from him and Daniel is offended by a chant of "USA"?

Gingrich calls to reopen the House UnAmerican Activities Committee and Daniel is offended by a chant of "USA"?

I think Daniel's opinions are a waste of electrons.

Keith Wilson
07-30-2016, 08:04 AM
Awww, poor Daniel. I can see how this bothers him. We just had two conventions. The Republicans presented a dark pessimistic vision of the US as weak, getting poorer, in decline, violent, fearful, besieged, dangerous, crime- and terrorism-ridden, in basically horrible shape, and ONLY THE LEADER can fix it by getting rid of all THOSE PEOPLE . The Democrats presented an optimistic vision of a country with problems but making progress, moving toward high ideals, and capable of realizing them by working together and inducing everybody. John Podhoretz, a former speechwriter to Ronald Reagan, said “Take about five paragraphs out of that Obama speech and it could have been a Reagan speech. Trust me. I know.” This is more significant than it may look at first; it marks the point at which the counterculture becomes the culture, and where the identity politics of inclusion meets the identity politics of white resentment and exclusion, the dying convulsions of the old order. The heirs of those who marched across the bridge in Selma are now in the White House and the Mayor's office and the Dallas Police Chief's office, and the heirs of those who set the dogs on them are now in a suburban basement full of guns, muttering darkly with a their buddies bout how America's gone to hell and how we need to make it great again. You don't like it? Listen to what Trump said about the US in his speech; that's the guy you're following. Myself, I really like the optimistic left.

Rich Jones
07-30-2016, 08:04 AM
It's all about the Democratic Party standing up for the honor of America where the GOP, gutless cowards cowering at the feet of Trump, say nothing as Trump trashes our already great country.
The tables have now been turned. The Democrats are now the ones waving the flag, etc. The USA chant is a bit mindless, but effective. I'm for anything, yes anything, that will get Hillary in the White House and leave Trump as nothing more then an embarrassing footnote in American history.

Peerie Maa
07-30-2016, 08:09 AM
I suppose it is better than sucker punching some one.

CWSmith
07-30-2016, 08:13 AM
I think Daniel is upset that "The Mommy Party" stood up and told the GOP that they are a bad, bad boy and need a time out. :)

By the way, I really hate that "Mommy Party" cr@p.

Hwyl
07-30-2016, 08:21 AM
I thought this was a reflection on your own attitude, Dan.

C. Ross
07-30-2016, 09:23 AM

First class troll!

Dave Wright
07-30-2016, 09:52 AM
Every now and then you find a little truth. For example, in channel surfing through the news last night I heard a reporter interviewing a working class guy in Philly. The guy couldn't provide objective answers as to why he was going to vote for Trump. Finally he said, "I'll vote for him because he's just like me." And again he repeated himself: "He's just like me."

oznabrag
07-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Why do you hate the USA and US patriots?

What is wrong with you?

How old are you?

I think he may be bitter and disappointed that his bid to retire to an island paradise went sideways, and he landed in Florida instead.

We coopted your slogan. I love it! Even better, you guys are confused about it. Wait until you find and identify the Republicans who won't vote for Trump.
They won't even come out in the open, they're so flummoxed. We don't do fatwahs, but the reason the No more war splinter got drowned out is because there were twenty of them in the crowd.. All from Cali, Sky, and shouting no more war, which is a nice thought. But they were shouting it while some of the many top military men and women who support Hillary were on stage, which was stupid.

We have our crazies too. Take Cornell West. PLEASE!

I think Daniel is criticizing the brilliant and perfectly-executed efforts of the DNC convention whips to muffle the Berniac morons who only showed up to disrupt the convention and offend Senator Sanders.

That said, using patriotism and nationalism to stifle dissent is as old as politics. Pretending that the DNC just invented it last week is pretty lame.

Calls to kill Hillary were present at the GOP convention and Daniel is offended by a chant of "USA"?

Trump is singing the praises of Putin and calling for the Russians to commit espionage within the borders of this country and Daniel is offended by a chant of "USA"?

Pence promotes legislation to openly deny civil rights to people with sexual orientation different from him and Daniel is offended by a chant of "USA"?

Gingrich calls to reopen the House UnAmerican Activities Committee and Daniel is offended by a chant of "USA"?

I think Daniel's opinions are a waste of electrons.

First class troll!

Canoeyawl
07-30-2016, 10:26 AM
I wonder how trump feels about wooden boats?

The beauty, integrity and reason being in the structure, not in the embellishment. Where would Trump be without embellishment? A beautifully frosted ballon as a wedding cake comes to mind. Just one little prick and poof!

I'm trying to imagine this... The wooden ship with gold painted styrofoam trail-boards and and imitation gold raised foam lettering on the transom. It is mildly disturbing, but it would be something to behold, perhaps a Raw Faith style construction with gold paint from keel to truck?
Put to the test, it would sink like a stone, leaving a trail of brightly colored flotsam. It is hard to imagine any real builder can not recognize this...

Daniel Noyes
07-30-2016, 01:33 PM
It's all about the Democratic Party standing up for the honor of America where the GOP, gutless cowards cowering at the feet of Trump, say nothing as Trump trashes our already great country.
The tables have now been turned. The Democrats are now the ones waving the flag, etc. The USA chant is a bit mindless, but effective. I'm for anything, yes anything, that will get Hillary in the White House and leave Trump as nothing more then an embarrassing footnote in American history.

how long has America been "Great" for???

Tom Wilkinson
07-30-2016, 01:40 PM
how long has America been "Great" for??? Quite a while, and it keeps getting better. Do we have things we can improve on? Sure, but overall things a going pretty well, certainly better than the bush years, no question, in fact this is probably the best period in my lifetime.
Income disparity is an issue though and the huge gap between CEO and average worker pay needs to be reined in as I believe it would provide incredible stimulus to the economy of all that wealth was not concentrated at the upper end.

What year would you return to, and why isn't it great now?

Lew Barrett
07-30-2016, 04:33 PM
how long has America been "Great" for???

Sorry about your condition Daniel. Is there anything we can do to help you out that doesn't listening to your complaints or voting for Trump ?

Figured out who the Baathists are yet? We might be able to help you understand that.

Daniel Noyes
07-30-2016, 04:44 PM
Quite a while, and it keeps getting better. Do we have things we can improve on? Sure, but overall things a going pretty well, certainly better than the bush years, no question, in fact this is probably the best period in my lifetime.
Income disparity is an issue though and the huge gap between CEO and average worker pay needs to be reined in as I believe it would provide incredible stimulus to the economy of all that wealth was not concentrated at the upper end.

What year would you return to, and why isn't it great now?

just wonderi'n because I seem to remember Obama's slogan being CHANGE recently... and I though to my self during that election... "America is the most powerful, free, peaceful, prosperous country on earth... wonder what O intends to 'CHANGE'? "

Tom Wilkinson
07-30-2016, 04:53 PM
just wonderi'n because I seem to remember Obama's slogan being CHANGE recently... and I though to my self during that election... "America is the most powerful, free, peaceful, prosperous country on earth... wonder what O intends to 'CHANGE'? "

If you honestly think things didn't need to change from the bush years you need your head examined. Change does not have to be negative. This country may be great, but we certainly have room for improvement and I don't see any of that coming from trump.

We are vastly ahead of where we were 8 years ago but we can certainly continue to improve.

Daniel Noyes
07-30-2016, 05:19 PM
If you honestly think things didn't need to change from the bush years you need your head examined. Change does not have to be negative. This country may be great, but we certainly have room for improvement and I don't see any of that coming from trump.

We are vastly ahead of where we were 8 years ago but we can certainly continue to improve.... things DEFINATELY need to change from the Failed Neo Con Bush Years... Stop shipping Jobs (and industrial know how) to China and Mexico, Stop importing Cheap, Exploitable, Controllable, illegal immigrant labor into the country, REDUCE Americas Military foot print, and expenditures abroad...

should I go on?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKuvhrG9Of7NGQE8EOLDVb32GQXnJpp dGA-qAH5tHbDr10G5r-

Tom Wilkinson
07-30-2016, 05:35 PM
And we have been heading the right direction.

I know for a fact that my personal situation was pretty damn good after Clinton years, pretty damn bad after Bush 2, really damn good after Obama, and I'm pretty certain Trump will be a disaster.

The man has a history of doing absolutely nothing for the working man. He uses foreign labor all the time because it's cheaper. Republicans have done nothing but obstruct for the last 8 years. We could be so much further ahead than we are now. The fact is in the last 35 years America has done better under democratic rule. Crime is at it's lowest levels ever (which you certainly wouldn't realize if all you read is 2nd amendment propaganda) and the economy is recovering nicely, even housing is making a good comeback. How stupid would it be to stop that train now?

Boatfix
07-30-2016, 06:06 PM
More of Hillary's patriotic political theater or simply a forgotten lie that an ex Navy Seal takes umbrage with.

https://youtu.be/vSrsuk4eKaI

I think its interesting that Seals in the vast majority have a negative opinion of Hillary and Obama.

Former SEAL: Nobody who wears a Navy Trident is a fan of Obama or Hillary

https://youtu.be/yycmsnKiFyI

CWSmith
07-30-2016, 06:12 PM
... things DEFINATELY need to change from the Failed Neo Con Bush Years... Stop shipping Jobs (and industrial know how) to China and Mexico, Stop importing Cheap, Exploitable, Controllable, illegal immigrant labor into the country, REDUCE Americas Military foot print, and expenditures abroad...

should I go on?

So you are aware that Trump has his clothing line made in China, which means he has shipped jobs overseas?

And he hires cheap immigrant labor to work in his hotels and constructions?

And he is threatening to expand our military efforts in the Middle East?

Barry
07-30-2016, 07:56 PM
More of Hillary's patriotic political theater or simply a forgotten lie that an ex Navy Seal takes umbrage with.

https://youtu.be/vSrsuk4eKaI

I think its interesting that Seals in the vast majority have a negative opinion of Hillary and Obama.

https://youtu.be/yycmsnKiFyI

Isn't he the guy who advocated for Guns for Blind people?
"Blind People should have any weapon they want!!!"
Yeah, he's a credible spokesperson.

Fart!!!