PDA

View Full Version : Illustration

David G
07-29-2016, 08:23 PM
Don't know if this will transfer from FB or not... but let's give it a try. It's illuminating --

https://www.facebook.com/thecosmicteacher/videos/1256930137650529/

Peerie Maa
07-30-2016, 03:59 AM
Bump, 'cos it should be read.

lupussonic
07-30-2016, 04:15 AM
Can't read it, because I don't do FB.

What's it all about?

Peerie Maa
07-30-2016, 04:41 AM
Institutional racism
Sisters in law, both of mixed race. One blue eyed and blond, the other brown eyed with a deep natural tan, in a supermarket queue together and how the checkout moron treated the brown eyed SIL.

isla
07-30-2016, 05:37 AM
I don't do Facebook either, but the video played OK for me. Powerful stuff, and worth bumping a few more times.

Vince Brennan
07-30-2016, 09:21 AM
It IS illuminating.... and humiliating (to everyone). This is the sort of ingrained and institutionalized racism that must be fought against every time it is experienced.

But I just dam-sure-gar-on-tee you that if there was anyone who did NOT get the message of all this, it was the check-out GIRL.

amish rob
07-30-2016, 10:01 AM
It's a wonder, with all the positive messages on tv, in the news, and on Facebook and the like, that people still hate and fear one another. Why are we all still so judgmental of each other? :)

It's not just race, either folks. You should see how my gay cousin gets treated. Or my fat ones. Or me, with my plain clothes, olive skin, and chin strap beard. I recently had a can of America beer hurled at me from a moving car as I rode my bicycle down the street. They yelled something like, "Ghsnjeurjfkfjfk," because they were extra brave and sped by while chucking beer cans. Yee-haw! Hate! Hate! Hate!
Until we can all look into another person's eyes and see ourselves, we will continue this ride.

Meh.

Peace,
Robert

Peerie Maa
07-30-2016, 10:18 AM
It IS illuminating.... and humiliating (to everyone). This is the sort of ingrained and institutionalized racism that must be fought against every time it is experienced.

But I just dam-sure-gar-on-tee you that if there was anyone who did NOT get the message of all this, it was the check-out GIRL.
I am critical of the girl for doing something so amoral. However her employers provided the bounced check list and told her to use it. That is institutionalised racism.

Too Little Time
07-30-2016, 12:09 PM
So we have a "black" woman who regularly shops in a store. (or at least it appears to be so.) And she is asked for id. And that asking not only causes her to be upset but it brings her daughter to tears. Why does she shop there? You do realize that checks are not legal tender and are accepted subject to whatever restrictions the store has?

For those who don't know it most businesses check credit cards prior to accepting them. It is a bit more subtle, but no worse than verifying checks.

Peerie Maa
07-30-2016, 12:15 PM
So we have a "black" woman who regularly shops in a store. (or at least it appears to be so.) And she is asked for id. And that asking not only causes her to be upset but it brings her daughter to tears. Why does she shop there? You do realize that checks are not legal tender and are accepted subject to whatever restrictions the store has?

For those who don't know it most businesses check credit cards prior to accepting them. It is a bit more subtle, but no worse than verifying checks.

Did you not notice that her "white" SIL was not subject to any checks?
Is that not an issue for you?

Too Little Time
07-31-2016, 10:43 AM
Did you not notice that her "white" SIL was not subject to any checks?
Is that not an issue for you?
No. I expect there were other issues involved. I pointed out what I thought was informative in the video, her behavior after being asked for id.

David G
07-31-2016, 11:06 AM
Illustration --

http://parlorofhorror.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/neanderthal-man-6.jpg

Peerie Maa
07-31-2016, 11:09 AM
No. I expect there were other issues involved. I pointed out what I thought was informative in the video, her behavior after being asked for id.

Just to be clear, you did not notice that her "white" SIL was not asked for any ID?

Too Little Time
07-31-2016, 12:08 PM
Just to be clear, you did not notice that her "white" SIL was not asked for any ID?
I did notice that is the claim in the story. I was not there so I did not notice it personally.

I am not about to draw the inference that race was the reason for asking for id. I have been asked for id. I don't attribute it to race or gender or any other protected issue.

You should feel free to draw inferences that you want to. I am not going to contribute pitchforks and torches.

David G
07-31-2016, 12:15 PM
Good German (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Good+German&defid=4052489)

A citizen of Nazi Germany who participated in or overlooked atrocities while denying personal moral responsibility by appeal to his submission to supposedly legitimate authority.

The American CIA agents who relied on the White House legal justification of torture were nothing more than Good Germans.

Daniel Noyes
07-31-2016, 12:17 PM

please don't "rain on their Puritanical virtue signalling parade"

Peerie Maa
07-31-2016, 12:18 PM
So a white woman is not asked for ID but the black woman next in the queue is, and you do not think racial prejudice is involved?

Remarkable.

Daniel Noyes
07-31-2016, 12:18 PM

please don't "rain on David G's virtue signalling parade"

Bobcat
07-31-2016, 12:23 PM
So a white woman is not asked for ID but the black woman next in the queue is, and you do not think racial prejudice is involved?

Remarkable.

Not only that , but racial prejudice could not be involved. It doesn't exist, only whiny people of color who don't realize how good they have it.

After all, Bill O'Reilly says the slaves that built the White House were well fed.

Too Little Time
07-31-2016, 06:30 PM

Remarkable.
I buy movie tickets most weeks. I am always asked to pay the full price. My wife who seldom buys the tickets was offered complimentary tickets last week about $100. White privilege? Sex discrimination? No black people were offered the same deal. Racial prejudice?

Sometimes the story is more complex than what you want to believe. It turns out that the credit card processor was down. The theatre does not like to inconvenience customers and gives complimentary tickets so people do not have to wait.

By the way, my wife made such a fuss that the theatre accepted her money - the credit card processor was up by the time she was done. She is such a trouble maker.

Peerie Maa
08-01-2016, 04:28 AM
Life is complex.
Far too complex for TlT to understand.

Remarkable.

BrianY
08-01-2016, 08:47 AM
TLT appears to be one of those people whose perceptions of the world are entirely governed by the attitude that if he hasn't experienced something personally then it cannot possibly exist for others.

Too Little Time
08-01-2016, 09:24 AM
TLT appears to be one of those people whose perceptions of the world are entirely governed by the attitude that if he hasn't experienced something personally then it cannot possibly exist for others.
And yet I have several times pointed out that both political parties have taken part in requiring segregated housing that led to segregated schools that led to the current racial conditions. They did it despite a Federal Court ruling that found the practice unconstitutional.

If you want to show racial discrimination, show the big stuff. Not some whiny woman who gets upset because she was asked for id.

Peerie Maa
08-01-2016, 10:01 AM

If you want to show racial discrimination, show the big stuff. Not some whiny woman who gets upset because she was asked for id.
There are 1335 Safeway stores in the US. If they all have the same discriminatory policies, is that not a big enough an example of institutionalised racism for you?

Or if one example of racism is OK, how many instances are not?

Too Little Time
08-01-2016, 11:25 AM
There are 1335 Safeway stores in the US. If they all have the same discriminatory policies, is that not a big enough an example of institutionalised racism for you?

Or if one example of racism is OK, how many instances are not?
You seem to be fond of drawing inferences without facts. (I am not going to buy into this "if" of yours.)

I guess the Federal government is too big for you.

Peerie Maa
08-01-2016, 12:31 PM
OK, let us keep it simple. You are saying that legislation enacted in 1938, and over turned in the 1970's gives a free pass to institutional racism today?

Too Little Time
08-01-2016, 01:33 PM
OK, let us keep it simple. You are saying that legislation enacted in 1938, and over turned in the 1970's gives a free pass to institutional racism today?
I believe you said that. I believe you have made several unsubstantiated inferences.
As for institutional racism. I have pointed to a Federal Court decision that addressed unconstitutional policies of the Federal government. Those policies continue today. So I will agree that institutional racism is still practiced.

But please observe that a Federal Court case is much more persuasive than a u-tube video. And a Federal court decision is better legal support than a u-tube video that presents an unchallenged side of an interaction.

Peerie Maa
08-01-2016, 02:11 PM
I believe you said that. I believe you have made several unsubstantiated inferences.
As for institutional racism. I have pointed to a Federal Court decision that addressed unconstitutional policies of the Federal government. Those policies continue today. So I will agree that institutional racism is still practiced.

But please observe that a Federal Court case is much more persuasive than a u-tube video. And a Federal court decision is better legal support than a u-tube video that presents an unchallenged side of an interaction.

You calling her a liar then?
Remarkable.

And yet you are still implying that racism practices across a 1335 chain of shops it OK because the government do it?

Why do you not admit that her treatment was unacceptable, stop digging and throw out your shovel?

BETTY-B
08-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Is a smart person, that is in the very narrow area where he thinks he is smarter than everyone else, but not smart enough to keep his mouth shut more dangerous than the dumb guy that knows his own limitations yet only opens his to ask questions?

Peerie Maa
08-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Is a smart person, that is in the very narrow area where he thinks he is smarter than everyone else, but not smart enough to keep his mouth shut more dangerous than the dumb guy that knows his own limitations yet only opens his to ask questions?

Depends on who is listening.

Too Little Time
08-01-2016, 03:08 PM
You calling her a liar then?
Remarkable.

And yet you are still implying that racism practices across a 1335 chain of shops it OK because the government do it?

Why do you not admit that her treatment was unacceptable, stop digging and throw out your shovel?
Again you are putting words in my mouth. Or at least attempting to.

You seem to have made up "racism practices across a 1335 chain of shops" from whole cloth.

Once again. Asking for id as a condition of cashing a check seems appropriate. Asking for id for that purpose should not cause anyone to be upset.

Too Little Time
08-01-2016, 03:42 PM
You really cannot see it can you? Singling out a black woman for different treatment, implying that she but not the white woman in the queue in front of her is untrustworthy is clearly racist.
However you think that it is not and it is OK.

Truly remarkable.
You are inferring that race was the issue.

Some businesses ask for id if the checks are not preprinted - common for new accounts. Some businesses ask for id for checks from certain banks. Some businesses ask for id if the check is written on a business account.

I gave you 3 reasons for different treatment that do not involve race.

How is this for another reason: The clerk was supposed to ask everyone for id. She realized that her supervisor was now watching her. The clerk was correcting her behavior.

David G
08-01-2016, 04:01 PM
Don't know if this will transfer from FB or not... but let's give it a try. It's illuminating --

Just thought it might be worth remembering what we're talking about... after all the quibblish, dingbattish distractions.

Too Little Time
08-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Just thought it might be worth remembering what we're talking about... after all the quibblish, dingbattish distractions.
Having watched the video again, I have no idea what you think we are talking about. It does seem that in posting the video you want us to make invalid inferences.

I know what I am talking about.

Too Little Time
08-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Today the paper had a related article. A couple women were denied admission to a movie when they thought the rules did not apply to them. They snuck in. They were found out and asked to leave. Both women claimed they were embarrassed and along with their 30 (or was it 50) women friends they were outraged. Terrible treatment.

Unfortunately they were white and could not claim racism. (I suspect no black women were treated in this manner ever.)

It is all in how one frames the story.

Vince Brennan
08-03-2016, 08:22 PM
I know what I am talking about.

The day that THAT happens you can ascend to Hanley Clifford's Heaven.

Paul Pless
08-03-2016, 09:04 PM
I know what I am talking about.oh snap, beer just shot out my nose

Sky Blue
08-03-2016, 09:32 PM
Oh, cool! I just opened this! Another old white guys pointing fingers at other old white guys and signaling virtue thread!

Score!

Peerie Maa
08-04-2016, 04:58 AM
Oh, cool! I just opened this! Another old white guys pointing fingers at other old white guys and signaling virtue thread!

Score!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/dpamaregoodtome/DeadHorse2.jpg
You need a better hobby, sailing perhaps.

David G
10-13-2016, 09:52 AM
And... despite the flooding of de Nile... the beat goes on --

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/10/13/crowd-shouts-racial-slurs-at-all-black-youth-football-team-when-some-players-kneel-during-anthem-coach-says/