PDA

View Full Version : How to listen when you disagree

David G
07-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Offered without further comment, except to thank Bob Wessel --

http://urbanconfessional.org/blog/howtodisagree

Tom Montgomery
07-29-2016, 05:05 PM
I listen when I disagree all the time while at work.

I REFUSE to discuss politics at work. Whether I agree or not. Because I need to have good personal relations with the people with whom I work.

But the right-wing, Tea Party, Republicans with whom I work simply seem to be unable to restrain themselves and are always offering their unsolicited political opinions. I simply smile and nod my head.

I take comfort in the thought that fewer than 50% of them actually bother to vote in elections.

CWSmith
07-29-2016, 05:10 PM
But the right-wing Republicans who I work with simply seem to be unable to restrain themselves and are always offering their unsolicited political opinions. I simply smile and nod my head.

When my father is driving (his car) with his friends, they turn on Rush Limbaugh. When it's his car, he turns it off.

Don't nod your head - shake it. You are entitled to your opinion, too.

Tom Montgomery
07-29-2016, 05:14 PM
Don't nod your head - shake it. You are entitled to your opinion, too.
I repeat: I NEED to have good personal relations with my co-workers.

Otherwise I would put them straight toot-sweet. ;)

My work place bears NO resemblance to The Bilge.

amish rob
07-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Listen to the other side? Try to find common ground? Seems pretty idealistic to me. :)

Peace,
Robert

CWSmith
07-29-2016, 06:32 PM
I repeat: I NEED to have good personal relations with my co-workers.

Otherwise I would put them straight toot-sweet. ;)

My work place bears NO resemblance to The Bilge.

I do understand. My objection is that you do not receive the same consideration that you are showing. Don't let it drive you crazy.

Tom Montgomery
07-29-2016, 07:04 PM
I do understand. My objection is that you do not receive the same consideration that you are showing. Don't let it drive you crazy.
It doesn't.

I have learned how to suffer fools.

I can choose my friends. But I cannot choose my co-workers. Or my family for that matter. ;)

I listen when I disagree whenever I must attend a family gathering.

My ex-wife has a cousin who lives in Marquette, Michigan. His family all live in greater Chicago, Illinois. He once said to me, "Do you know why I live 383 miles away from my family? Because 382 miles away was not far enough." ;)

Boatfix
07-29-2016, 10:12 PM
Offered without further comment, except to thank Bob Wessel --

http://urbanconfessional.org/blog/howtodisagree

One of you better posts. I'll keep it in mind.

David G
07-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Of course... those who most need it...

won't read it.

Or... won't grok it.

Harry Miller
07-30-2016, 12:46 PM
It's really good. My nephew in California posted it on Facebook and it's the only thing I've ever shared

sandtown
07-30-2016, 01:06 PM
Clear Channel & FAUX preach that people like us are evil.
Their millions of acolytes don't even respect your right to exist,
much less have an opinion.

Michael D. Storey
07-31-2016, 07:00 PM
The Boy Max has an old tobacco barn where they keep the horses and the motorcycles. It is a POS. Not designed for much storage, anyway. The repair of the barn, by Max an me, is an important topic. It requires listening and disagreeing. You guys are discussing trash. Listening and disagreeing will not effect how anyone is going to vote. Listening and disagreeing, and hopefully finally agreeing on the barn repair will get another 100 years out of it, and do so without putting Max or me in a pine box, or a wheel chair.
Jussayin