PDA

View Full Version : It's not quite treason... but it's pretty close

Norman Bernstein
07-27-2016, 11:22 AM
This may not be classified as treasonous.... but if not, it certainly comes VERY close.

Donald Trump (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/donald-trump/) on Wednesday said he hopes Hillary Clinton (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/donald-trump/)’s deleted emails have fallen into the hands of Russian hackers.

“If they hacked, they probably have her 33,000 emails. I hope they do,” Trump said at a press conference at his resort in Doral, Florida.

The Republican presidential nominee was referring to the widely held suspicion that Russia is responsible for hacking the Democratic National Committee’s servers, resulting in the leak of tens of thousands of emails just days before the party’s nominating convention in Philadelphia.

Trump said that he hoped the hackers had also accessed Clinton’s private email servers. “They probably have her 33,000 emails that she lost and deleted.”

Trump then addressed the rogue nation directly, saying “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you can find the 30,000 emails that are missing.”

By actively hoping that American servers were hacked by another nation, Trump broke an unwritten but cardinal rule of American public office: You don’t root against the United States, even when your political opponent is in power.

Boatfix
07-27-2016, 11:26 AM
This may not be classified as treasonous.... but if not, it certainly comes VERY close.

It was a joke and you are moving beyond hate. Get a grip Norm.

Tom Wilkinson
07-27-2016, 11:45 AM
It was a joke and you are moving beyond hate. Get a grip Norm. You have to be kidding? Had Hillary made a statement anywhere close to that you would be coming unglued.

The fact that Trump appears to be courting Russia is troubling.

Shang
07-27-2016, 11:49 AM
It was a joke and you are moving beyond hate. Get a grip Norm.

A joke? Perhaps you meant that the Russians should be laughing?

isla
07-27-2016, 11:53 AM

Trump and Putin are probably both members of the New World Order or the Order of the Illuminati :d

oznabrag
07-27-2016, 11:53 AM
I thought those emails were on a private server. A server that has been deconstructed, reconstructed, vivisected and deposed ad infinitum and shown never to have been hacked or even attempted.

Donald J Trump is an idiot.

Upshur
07-27-2016, 11:56 AM
hah , trump is calling out the world on the white elephant in the room...brilliant?

Boatfix
07-27-2016, 11:57 AM
You have to be kidding? Had Hillary made a statement anywhere close to that you would be coming unglued.

I heard the entire news conference and Trump was explaining how the Hillary campaign was saying it was Trump and some connection of his past business deals in Russia as to how the emails from the DNC came to light. He laughed that off and then said Russia obviously does not respect us much to hack the DNC. In a joking manner, he said hey Russia, if you have those emails of Hillary's it would be interesting to see them. He also said something like "I'm sure the press would sure like to see them".

The way you lefties jump to the "worse case scenario" in any statement by Trump is was is troubling. The left never deals with what Trump actually says, they just go with the personal attacks to avoid dealing with the content of his statements.

Boatfix
07-27-2016, 11:59 AM
I thought those emails were on a private server. A server that has been deconstructed, reconstructed, vivisected and deposed ad infinitum and shown never to have been hacked or even attempted.

Look in the mirror for idiocy. The reference to a Russian hacker getting access to Hillary's server was way in the past before she deleted them.

stromborg
07-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Courting? More like keeping the significant other happy

Donald Jr. in the Washington Post:
“Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets,” Trump’s son, Donald Jr., told a real estate conference in 2008, according to an account posted on the website of eTurboNews, a trade publication. “We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/inside-trumps-financial-ties-to-russia-and-his-unusual-flattery-of-vladimir-putin/2016/06/17/dbdcaac8-31a6-11e6-8ff7-7b6c1998b7a0_story.html

Paul Pless
07-27-2016, 12:01 PM
It's not quite treason... but it's pretty close its douchebaggery

Upshur
07-27-2016, 12:03 PM
I loved him saying the mideast would better off if our leaders had gone to the beach and relaxed instead.hahahhaah , guys a riot.

Boatfix
07-27-2016, 12:05 PM
I loved him saying the mideast would better off if our leaders had gone to the beach and relaxed instead.hahahhaah , guys a riot.
Agreed.:D

Norman Bernstein
07-27-2016, 12:13 PM
It was a joke....

I don't consider it to be a joke, at all.... even in jest, advocating the notion that a foreign power's illegal hacking of an American computer system could help a candidate, isn't even remotely funny. If it isn't treason, it certainly defines the immorality associated with treason... and this statement, above anything else the jerk has said, utterly infuriates me.

Donald Trump isn't an American patriot. His interests are clear: it's all about himself.

CWSmith
07-27-2016, 12:20 PM
This does not bother me as much as the numb-knuts from NH who said that Hillary Clinton should be shot. That may not be treason, but that rhetoric should be illegal at least.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/07/20/trump-adviser-says-clinton-should-shot-for-treason/KiPEX1qqH7DCtKF6GNZhQK/story.html

Boatfix
07-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Trump had a 45 minute press conference this morning answering all comer's questions and when finished he mentioned how Hillary had not had a press conference in many months.

Ann Coulter ‏@AnnCoulter (https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/758322419618680832)
Amazing Trump press conference - especially after two days of nonsense from the Dems.

0 retweets0 likes

BrianW
07-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Sending classified material over a private server is okay, making a comment about it is treason.

Strange sense of standards.

Norman Bernstein
07-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Sending classified material over a private server is okay, making a comment about it is treason.

So you approve of a candidate accepting and even soliciting help (in the form of illegal hacking of an opponent's data) from a potentially hostile foreign government, in a US election?

Strange sense of standards, indeed.

Canoeyawl
07-27-2016, 12:46 PM

Nobody (except you) said it was "OK"
They acknowledged it was a mistake. Ever do that? Make a mistake?

*Note that the "private server" was not hacked while the state department server absolutely was hacked and by Russia in fact, but that information was classified and may have influenced which servers the state dept should use.

Boatfix
07-27-2016, 12:46 PM
So you approve of a candidate accepting and even soliciting help (in the form of illegal hacking of an opponent's data) from a potentially hostile foreign government, in a US election?

Strange sense of standards, indeed.

Come on Norm, this is a nothing burger and you know it.

George Jung
07-27-2016, 12:47 PM
So... actually, Hillary 'did State a favor' by not using their servers, right?

You'd think they'd be more grateful!

Boatfix
07-27-2016, 12:52 PM
So... actually, Hillary 'did State a favor' by not using their servers, right?

You'd think they'd be more grateful!

Hillary was lucky there was no way to prove criminal negligence in State not responding the Ambassador's hundreds of requests for additional security.

George Jung
07-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Nah, that's not it. Amazing - you have nearly a perfect record... of always being wrong!

There's a 'cottage industry' of Republican sorts, devoted for the past many decades at 'nailing' the Clintons.... and they've got nothing. If they did, charges would have been filed. You're full of it!

Boater14
07-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Here's a little civics lesson. The reeps control the House and thus control its committees with investigative power. That's the only reason any of her stuff is constantly investigated. Unfortunately when the dems were in that position Obama took the time to heal route and the dem house did not launch an American Chilcot type of inquiry into Iraq. Obamas first of a number of mistakes. Probably didn't want go rehash or expose dems like Hill who got suckered into voting to give Bush the authorization to attack Iraq for absolutely nothing. Recall the Whitewater investigation, headed by the guy who covered up sexual abuse at Baylor, cost you $80,000,000. Acting like this isn't just politics is naive.

CWSmith
07-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Nah, that's not it. Amazing - you have nearly a perfect record... of always being wrong!

There's a 'cottage industry' of Republican sorts, devoted for the past many decades at 'nailing' the Clintons.... and they've got nothing. If they did, charges would have been filed. You're full of it!

It's fun to watch them bending over backwards to shout how criminal the Clintons are. The inability to catch them at anything (save for a bj) must prove either the brilliance of the Clintons or the massive incompetence of the GOP. Either way, it makes the case for voting for the smarter of the two.

Plus, there is the added advantage that you don't have to listen to every Republican. So long as they all say the same thing, you only have to listen to one.

oznabrag
07-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Hillary was lucky there was no way to prove criminal negligence in State not responding the Ambassador's hundreds of requests for additional security.

The Ambassador's requests could NOT be funded due to budget constraints placed on State by the Republican Congress.

Explain THAT away, if you can.

George Jung
07-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Here's a little civics lesson. The reeps control the House and thus control its committees with investigative power. That's the only reason any of her stuff is constantly investigated. Unfortunately when the dems were in that position Obama took the time to heal route and the dem house did not launch an American Chilcot type of inquiry into Iraq. Obamas first of a number of mistakes. Probably didn't want go rehash or expose dems like Hill who got suckered into voting to give Bush the authorization to attack Iraq for absolutely nothing. Recall the Whitewater investigation, headed by the guy who covered up sexual abuse at Baylor, cost you $80,000,000. Acting like this isn't just politics is naive.

Ummm... 'Hill' didn't vote for war - she voted for inspections; Bush took the ball and ran with it.

Gerarddm
07-27-2016, 02:51 PM
My prediction is that as the campaign heats up, Drumpf will increasingly become a looser cannon and turn off the independents, thereby losing the election.

johnw
07-27-2016, 03:04 PM

The only one who's said it's okay to send classified material over a private server is you, above. I do think Norm's headline is over the top, which is why his thread is getting more response than the one I had started on the same topic.

Now, tell me, do you think it's okay to encourage a foreign power to conduct espionage on your opponent?

Norman Bernstein
07-27-2016, 03:27 PM
Now, tell me, do you think it's okay to encourage a foreign power to conduct espionage on your opponent?

'Over the top, John'? What ELSE would you call a politician encouraging a foreign power to conduct espionage on your opponent?

SullivanB
07-27-2016, 03:43 PM

It's never been concluded that the server(s) were not hacked. The FBI said there's no evidence that the server was actually hacked, but could not conclude that it wasn't. And if memory serves, there was evidence of hacking attempts.

Of course, that last thing is spot on.

johnw
07-27-2016, 03:45 PM
'Over the top, John'? What ELSE would you call a politician encouraging a foreign power to conduct espionage on your opponent?

Well, you did say it's not quite treason. Perhaps that modifier reigns it back in.

Boater14
07-27-2016, 03:50 PM
George, save the ummmmms. Google Hillary Iraq vote. Man your credibility went right in the toilet. What do you think Bernie was clubbing her with for the past year.,

BETTY-B
07-27-2016, 03:53 PM

He's asking a foreign government to help. Not for security of our country but to secure his presidency. No matter how loud his schoolyard mouth is, he has no right as an American to put himself above our Nation.

Some of us take loyalty to still mean something.

johnw
07-27-2016, 03:54 PM
It's never been concluded that the server(s) were not hacked. The FBI said there's no evidence that the server was actually hacked, but could not conclude that it wasn't. And if memory serves, there was evidence of hacking attempts.

Of course, that last thing is spot on.

Well, there's no credible evidence that they were hacked. The State Department servers were hacked during that period.

And the DNC servers were not Clinton's, and would not contain any of the emails Trump was talking about.

Reynard38
07-27-2016, 03:56 PM
Some of us take loyalty to still mean something.

You have NO future in politics. ;)

BETTY-B
07-27-2016, 04:00 PM
You have NO future in politics. ;)

Thank you!:D

Reynard38
07-27-2016, 04:02 PM
My prediction is that as the campaign heats up, Drumpf will increasingly become a looser cannon and turn off the independents, thereby losing the election.

This will not dissuade his followers. They like him more than Hillary. They like Putin more than Hillary.

A lot more.

Scary isn't it?

SullivanB
07-27-2016, 04:05 PM
Ummm... 'Hill' didn't vote for war - she voted for inspections; Bush took the ball and ran with it.

That resolution is still readily available online, should you wish to refresh your memory on this one. She (and almost all the rest of Congress) gave Bush and Cheney a near blank check to do their thing in Iraq. But you're right about that last part. They most definitely took the hand off from Congress and ran amok.

Chip-skiff
07-27-2016, 04:05 PM
Well, there's no credible evidence that they were hacked. The State Department servers were hacked during that period.

And the DNC servers were not Clinton's, and would not contain any of the emails Trump was talking about.

Mr. Trump is confused about a great many things, but that doesn't stop his mouth.

SullivanB
07-27-2016, 04:09 PM

I'm not aware of even incredible evidence that HRC's servers were hacked. But the Clintons and the Party and the administration are scared you-know-whatless that it did happen and that those deleted emails are going to be made public between now and November.

skuthorp
07-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Trump is hogging the headlines, again. That's all that's important. You are all talking about him here……..

Canoeyawl
07-27-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm not aware of even incredible evidence that HRC's servers were hacked. But the Clintons and the Party and the administration are scared you-know-whatless that it did happen and that those deleted emails are going to be made public between now and November.

"In 2007, when Congress asked the Bush administration for emails surrounding the firing of eights U.S. attorneys, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales revealed that many of the emails requested could not be produced because they were sent on a non-government email server. The officials had used the private domain gwb43.com, a server run by the Republican National Committee. Two years later, it was revealed that potentially 22 million emails were deleted, which was considered by some to be a violation of the Presidential Records Act."

Hugh Conway
07-27-2016, 05:10 PM
Sending classified material over a private server is okay

If you are a Republican.

Phil Y
07-27-2016, 05:40 PM
You have to be kidding? Had Hillary made a statement anywhere close to that you would be coming unglued.

When far right goes full circle beyond fascism and becomes communist. And here I was thinking the earth is flat.

C. Ross
07-27-2016, 05:57 PM

This is the most cogent post on this thread.

Among the many reasons I despise and distrust Mr. Trump, perhaps foremost is the shameless way he applies completely different standards to himself and others. His words out of anyone else's mouth and he'd be a whirlwind of spittle, bile and tweets. His ardent supporters mimic him. This, my friends, is a panoramic view into his sociopathy.

BrianW
07-27-2016, 06:34 PM
Gary Johnson. :)

Hugh Conway
07-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Gary Johnson. :)

So you are voting for Hillary. Gotcha.

If you want a 3rd party, vote for an effective 3rd party, regularly. Not when you don't like a real choice.

Osborne Russell
07-28-2016, 08:57 AM
This is the most cogent post on this thread.

Among the many reasons I despise and distrust Mr. Trump, perhaps foremost is the shameless way he applies completely different standards to himself and others. His words out of anyone else's mouth and he'd be a whirlwind of spittle, bile and tweets. His ardent supporters mimic him. This, my friends, is a panoramic view into his sociopathy.

And theirs.