Norman Bernstein
07-10-2016, 07:47 AM
Opinions are being solicited :)

skuthorp
07-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Options? Between being bitten or sucked?:arg

Vince Brennan
07-10-2016, 08:00 AM
Dyson if you're talking the wall-mounted power station style... never used anything so lite or powerful, but SPENDY!!!!

Shark for those who don't happen to travel with a dipping-bucket of gold attached to their a$$.

I really DO like Dyson better but refuse to subsidize another Meyerbach for the CEO.

bob winter
07-10-2016, 08:00 AM
Dyson is over priced.

Paul Pless
07-10-2016, 08:05 AM
Kirby. My wife (and dogs and cats and two wood stoves and me and living in the woods) killed four vacuums in four years. We've had the Kirby four years and it's going strong, nary a hiccup. . .

Arizona Bay
07-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Never used a Shark, but having used a Dyson at work on a daily basis over the last 6 years, and only had to a replace the power cord a couple of weeks ago, I'd say they are worth the price. They really suck, easy to maintain, and unlike most things now days, it's repairable, parts and diagrams are online.

I suggest looking online for a factory refurbished one, they have a warranty and it can save you a 100 bucks or so. I just bought one myself.

wizbang 13
07-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Milwaukee shop vac stationed outside with a 50' hose that comes in the house. Homemade central vacuum.
Just got my second one in 28 years.

Norman Bernstein
07-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Never used a Shark, but having used a Dyson at work on a daily basis over the last 6 years, and only had to a replace the power cord a couple of weeks ago, I'd say they are worth the price. They really suck, easy to maintain, and unlike most things now days, it's repairable, parts and diagrams are online.

Interesting.

In looking on Amazon, I saw a 10% one-star rating for Shark.... with complaints that warranty service requires the customer to ship the thing to the factory, at customer expense.

So, I looked at Dyson.... and lo and behold, a 12% one-star rating!

It appears that ALL vacuums have a significant number of poor ratings, unfortunately. Very hard to decide what to buy.

Paul Pless
07-10-2016, 08:48 AM
It appears that ALL vacuums have a significant number of poor ratings, unfortunately. Very hard to decide what to buy.vacuuming, under the best of conditions is often a thankless task :D

Norman Bernstein
07-10-2016, 08:55 AM
vacuuming, under the best of conditions is often a thankless task :D

Well, it's MY task :(

Which explains why I'm looking for a new one.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-10-2016, 08:57 AM
What features do you want?

I've run Dysons for twenty five years - and am on my second one, the first one is still running but the sprog has it now.

Norman Bernstein
07-10-2016, 09:19 AM
What features do you want?

The type which is bagless and has a removable power head that is easy to carry. Dyson and Shark both have this style. We're currently using a Dirt Devil, which is pretty good, but it's heavy, so we're considering putting it upstairs permanently, and buying a new one for the main floor.

I've run Dysons for twenty five years - and am on my second one, the first one is still running but the sprog has it now.

I presumed they were good, albeit expensive... but I was a bit surprised at the number of bad reviews on amazon.com. 12% single star ratings are definitely above the expected level for a premium product.

bob winter
07-10-2016, 09:23 AM
We have a TriStar, works great but it is a bit retro.

Arizona Bay
07-10-2016, 09:34 AM
The type which is bagless and has a removable power head that is easy to carry. Dyson and Shark both have this style. We're currently using a Dirt Devil, which is pretty good, but it's heavy, so we're considering putting it upstairs permanently, and buying a new one for the main floor.

I presumed they were good, albeit expensive... but I was a bit surprised at the number of bad reviews on amazon.com. 12% single star ratings are definitely above the expected level for a premium product.

Did you read the reviews? Sometimes they're just stupid reasons, and others are by knockers. Hard to say, never had any problems with mine.

ron ll
07-10-2016, 09:40 AM
We have the Dyson cordless stick vac which I love, mainly for the cordless part. We also have a Roomba. And we have two cats. However, all of these bagless type vacs have one thing in common; you MUST clean them regularly or they will just gradually lose efficiency and you end up giving up on them. I've seen that happen with many Roombas especially.

Most of us here are fortunate to have a shop. I take thes vacs into my shop and pull the cleaning brushes out (easy) and clean the hair out with combs they provide and compressed air. I might do this about once a month. It is really easy, but not something a lot of consumers are willing to do, which I think might account for the high number of bad reviews.

StevenBauer
07-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Central vac. A fun weekend project. Why lug the heavy motor around with you while you vacuum? And all lug around vacs stir up dust with their exhaust. And they never capture all of the most damaging dust, the very fine particles. The central vacs sends those out of the building.

Garret
07-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Central vac. A fun weekend project. Why lug the heavy motor around with you while you vacuum? And all lug around vacs stir up dust with their exhaust. And they never capture all of the most damaging dust, the very fine particles. The central vacs sends those out of the building.

Since you just messed with this - I'm gonna hijack Norms thread for a minute (though it's related because I've been thinking of a new vac myself).

The house we bought last year has central vac - but it's all corrugated tubing - not smooth pvc. It seems that just about anything will plug it up. Any ideas on this (other than tearing out walls & replacing the pipe ;))?

Ted Hoppe
07-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Shark. Get the bed bath and beyond 50 dollar off coupon. Cleared up my allergies.

George Jung
07-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Did you read the reviews? Sometimes they're just stupid reasons, and others are by knockers. Hard to say, never had any problems with mine.

agreed; anyone can say anything on the Internet. We have a central vac, excellent. Hoover for spot cleaning- it's good. Both need frequent cleaning- too many long-hairs in the house(not me), and it plugs the brushes. Just sprung for a steam cleaner- amazing what a vacuum doesn't reach. Bissel.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-10-2016, 10:36 AM
I only know the Dyson "Upright" models and although the examples I've owned have been excellent (DC01 and DC14) - a friend had real trouble with a DC02....

I can't speak for the Cordless models - but we are seeing a lot of adverts for a think called the G-Tech Air-Ram.....

have fun,

It is astounding how many socks a toddler can stuff into a central vac system.

goodbasil
07-10-2016, 11:21 PM
I think Dyson is way over priced and over rated.

I've seen a lot of Shak stuff on the trash bins.

oznabrag
07-11-2016, 12:31 AM
I have never understood carpet.

Live on a hard floor for a year, and witness the amount of floor sweepings and dirty mop water, and then think about how much of that nasty stuff gets into the carpet and stays there.

For the amount of money you are going to spend on vacuum cleaners, shampoo and replacing the crapet every 10 years, you could have a white oak floor that will last longer than the rest of the house.

George Jung
07-11-2016, 11:49 AM
yup. But momma likes carpet in the BR and family room.....

And what momma wants, ....

Norman Bernstein
07-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Well, we were figuring that, since tomorrow is 'Amazon Prime' day, we'd order a new vacuum and take advantage of whatever discounts are being offered....

...but in looking at the reviews for ALL brands, not just Dyson or Shark, it seems as if they ALL have a surprisingly high percentage of pissed-off one star reviews.... none lower than 10%.

One thing seems true: Dyson doesn't come off any better than far cheaper brands, in the reviews. Also, Shark apparently has miserable customer service. I looked at Hoover, Dirt Devil, and Bissel, as well, and there are no clear winners.

goodbasil
07-11-2016, 12:14 PM
Find a Consumer Reports issue.
They're usually trustworthy and no, they are not bribed. They just buy an item pff the shelf and test it.

CK 17
07-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Opinions are being solicited :)maid

ron ll
07-11-2016, 12:23 PM
I still think that the high percentage of bad reviews is because most consumers don't understand that a bagless vacuum needs to be cleaned out and cared for more often. If you don't clean it, you will be pissed at its ineffectiveness after a while.

Rich Jones
07-11-2016, 01:13 PM

We bought a bagless Shark with the removeable head a year ago. Nice and light. My wife loves it. We use the Shark on the main floor, the old vacuum upstairs and an even older one in the finished area of the basement.

Norman Bernstein
07-11-2016, 01:36 PM
I still think that the high percentage of bad reviews is because most consumers don't understand that a bagless vacuum needs to be cleaned out and cared for more often. If you don't clean it, you will be pissed at its ineffectiveness after a while.

I'd ordinarily ignore bad reviews of that type... but much of the negative comments had to do with shoddy design, cheap plastic parts that break, hoses that are too stiff and don't extend as advertised, and so on.

In particular, Shark came in for a great deal of criticism for their poor customer support. It seems that the only repair option is to ship it, at the consumer's expense, to some central location, wait weeks for the repair, and then pay to have it shipped back.

I find it interesting that I don't see a disparity in the distribution of reviews, between sub-$100 uprights, and $300+ uprights... they ALL seem to get anywhere from 10% to 17% really bad reviews, irrespective of price.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-11-2016, 02:50 PM
In Britain, parts availability for Dyson is excellent and the original uprights were designed to be maintained using nothing more exacting than a blunt butterknife.

The Bigfella
07-11-2016, 03:12 PM
Never heard of the Shark

We've got two Dysons (one in the workshop). Both are on their second motor.

John Meachen
07-11-2016, 04:33 PM
It can be illuminating to take a trip to the local dump and take note of what type is being thrown away in the greatest numbers.One brand not mentioned here is Miele,and yet they seem well regarded by their owners.

Are these available stateside?

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/resized/3438454323aa7892557d32a21f37f528.jpg