PDA

View Full Version : Nomination for Most Stupid Man in Dallas

Shang
07-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Mark Hughes showed up for the demonstration wearing camos, carrying an assault rifle. Said he wanted to assert his Second Amendment rights.
"Good man with a gun" is lucky to see the sun come up again.

jack grebe
07-08-2016, 05:29 PM
Shame he didn't start shooting back

Gerarddm
07-08-2016, 11:25 PM
He and his brother ( one of the march organizers ) was interviewed tonight on MSNBC by Chris Hayes about that exact question. He said it was his Second Amendment right and it felt as natural to him as wearing a shirt " and you wouldn't ask me why I am wearing a shirt ". His brother noted that at other marches armed white guys appeared, so what's the big deal?

Zero guns = zero gun deaths. It also negates stupidity.

Norman Bernstein
07-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Mark Hughes showed up for the demonstration wearing camos, carrying an assault rifle. Said he wanted to assert his Second Amendment rights.

I'm wondering what the proper camo pattern is, for city streets :)

I could almost understand (while not agreeing with) the notion of carrying a gun to demonstrate what someone believes to be a second amendment right.....

....but the wearing of camo, in the city, basically reduces this guy to nothing more than a silly fool. What does camo signify? Fashion? Style? Something 'chic'?

Shang
07-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Consider this scenario:

You are a police officer supervising a demonstration.
Shots break out.
You're told that someone is firing into the street with a semi-automatic weapon.
You learn that five police officers have been shot dead, and that seven more have been wounded.
People are screaming and running around.

Then a guy wearing camo shows up carrying an assault rifle.

What would you be likely to do?

("Excuse me, Sir, are you a Good Guy with a gun, who, although untrained, wishes to assist the police; or a Bad Guy with a gun, who wishes to kill me and as many others as possible. Take your time...")

oznabrag
07-09-2016, 10:06 AM
I thought this tread was going to be about . . . never mind.

ljb5
07-09-2016, 10:07 AM

Doesn't that mean that a huge number of people in Texas are stupid?

And that the NRA and Republicans are actively promoting this type of stupidity?

Or is it worse when an African-American does it?

Old Dryfoot
07-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Just reading that this Mark Hughes guy has had "thousands" of death threats in the wake of the Dallas shootings. According to the police, witnesses said they saw him fire the rifle.

Kevin T
07-09-2016, 11:45 AM
And if this nimrod Mark Hughes had started to return fire in the direction of the original shooter, who in turn started to fire back at Hughes because he believed Hughes a cop or just someone who meant him harm, odds are anyone standing near Hughes would have been caught in the crossfire.

Reinforces the notion that if one is in a public place, be it a protest march, the supermarket, or a city park, it is best to move away from the people/persons with the guns. When standing next to "stupid" it is always a safe bet to move as far away as possible, I'm thinking NZ or OZ just might be far enough.

dbrown
07-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Camo is a fashion, a very silly fashion. I'll be glad when it's gone, along with pucker lips selfies.

Kevin T
07-09-2016, 11:59 AM
While we're at it lets eliminate putting the word "super" in front of everything, as in "I'm super pumped," or "I'm super stoked."

Reynard38
07-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Can we just ban camo? Might be easier.

Donn
07-09-2016, 12:24 PM

So MLB players wouldn't be allowed to wear it to honor the troops any more?

http://i.imgur.com/jjeqAPE.jpg

Old Dryfoot
07-09-2016, 12:37 PM
Is it honoring the troops, or merely pandering to the fans?

That question was put to veterans, sixty of them, and quite a few of them don't care for the idea.

http://www.uni-watch.com/how-do-military-personnel-feel-about-camouflage-jerseys/

Canoeyawl
07-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Camo is a virtue

jack grebe
07-09-2016, 12:49 PM

In this neighborhood, that would leave a hell of a lot rednecks running around with only tighty whitey's covering their arse........ Not a pretty sight.

Daniel Noyes
07-09-2016, 01:23 PM

so wht were Liberals suggesting as proper urban combat attire? a suit? :) or maybe skinny jeans and a pork pie hat!

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M92b1ec2b8b2b8cfe56fd5e07acd5332fo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=268&h=174

Reynard38
07-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Is it honoring the troops, or merely pandering to the fans?

That question was put to veterans, sixty of them, and quite a few of them don't care for the idea.

http://www.uni-watch.com/how-do-military-personnel-feel-about-camouflage-jerseys/

I'll go with pandering. Lot of it going on. Anything to make a $.

Kevin T
07-09-2016, 01:28 PM
so wht were Liberals suggesting as proper urban combat attire? a suit? :) or maybe skinny jeans and a pork pie hat!

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M92b1ec2b8b2b8cfe56fd5e07acd5332fo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=268&h=174

Wait! What? Mark Hughes was outfitted for urban combat at was to be a peaceful rally?

When did Congress repeal the Posse Comitatus Act and when were garden variety yahoos deputized as US military personnel? Boy howdy things are moving faster here in the United States of Gun than the internet can keep up! <sarcasm meter switched to OFF position>

Gerarddm
07-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Just reading that this Mark Hughes guy has had "thousands" of death threats in the wake of the Dallas shootings. According to the police, witnesses said they saw him fire the rifle.

I don't believe that whatsoever. The cops asked him for his weapon, and he smilingly handed it over ( I saw the video ). If inspection showed he had fired it, they would have detained him.

'Witnesses' do not always witness. See Rashomon.

Daniel Noyes
07-09-2016, 01:46 PM

oops sorry wrong quote :)

response to...

I'm wondering what the proper camo pattern is, for city streets :)

I could almost understand (while not agreeing with) the notion of carrying a gun to demonstrate what someone believes to be a second amendment right.....

....but the wearing of camo, in the city, basically reduces this guy to nothing more than a silly fool. What does camo signify? Fashion? Style? Something 'chic'?

Old Dryfoot
07-09-2016, 01:52 PM
I don't believe that whatsoever. The cops asked him for his weapon, and he smilingly handed it over ( I saw the video ). If inspection showed he had fired it, they would have detained him.

'Witnesses' do not always witness. See Rashomon.
The "witnesses" could have been an interview tactic, this Slate article says the police claimed to have video of him firing the weapon. Or, it could be as you've state, they didn't see what they think they saw.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/08/twitter_exonerated_suspect_mark_hughes_in_the_dall as_shooting_why_haven.html

Afterward, it dawned on Hughes that he had been in grave danger without realizing it. “Hindsight 20/20, I could have easily been shot,” he said.

wizbang 13
07-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Camo is illegal in several Caribbean countries. Antigua, fer instance.
It is for police only.
Customs finds a pair of camo knickers in your luggage, the confiscate 'en!

Tom Wilkinson
07-09-2016, 02:37 PM
I'll go with pandering. Lot of it going on. Anything to make a $.

Agreed