PDA

View Full Version : Good police work

Ian McColgin
07-08-2016, 09:24 AM
[IMc - Always a good thing when the police do it right. But then there is a significant difference between the preceived threat of this armed man and others recently in the news. If the image in the story does not come up for you and if you want to see the difference between this live arrestee and some recently dead, try http://www.wral.com/man-charged-with-shooting-at-wake-deputy/15832777/]

Sheriff: Man pointed shotgun at drivers, fired at Wake deputy
Posted 10:35 a.m. Wednesday
Updated 6:50 p.m. Wednesday

image: http://wwwcache.wral.com/presentation/v3/styles/vendor/leaflet/images/marker-icon.png

RALEIGH, N.C. — A Raleigh man was charged Tuesday with firing a shot at a Wake County deputy during a confrontation.

William Bruce Ray, 62, of 4912 Raytown Road, was charged with two counts of assault on a law enforcement officer with a firearm, according to an arrest warrant. He was being held in the Wake County jail under a $150,000 bond.

A prosecutor said in court Wednesday that the charges will likely be upgraded to attempted murder.

Deputy D.R. Farmer stopped to question Ray in response to reports of a man pointing a shotgun at passing drivers, and Ray became belligerent and pointed the shotgun at Farmer, Sheriff Donnie Harrison said.

"The deputy luckily grabbed the barrel and pushed him back," Harrison said. "The man says, 'I got something for you' and reached in his pocket and came back with a pistol."

As Farmer pushed the .22-caliber handgun aside, the gun went off, the sheriff said.

"Luckily, nobody got hurt. That’s the good thing. God was looking out for us," Harrison said. "(Ray) was very fortunate that he didn’t get shot, very fortunate that anybody didn’t get shot."

Authorities aren't sure why Ray allegedly pointed his shotgun at people, but Harrison said he had been drinking.

"He was very angry about something. We’re trying to piece it together. He’s not being real cooperative with us," he said.

Defense attorney Tommy Manning said he lives next door to Ray and has know him for 26 years. He said Ray suffers from mental illness but poses no flight risk and has the support of his family. A judge denied Manning's request for a lower bond.

Ray also is charged with injury to personal property in connection with damage done to a surveillance camera at the Wake County Sheriff's Office, an arrest warrant states.

"We had him in interrogation room where we talk to people. We try to film it and record everything for investigative purposes. He got angry and snatched the cameras off the wall," Harrison said.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/man-charged-with-shooting-at-wake-deputy/15832777/#zkdkK7WomG1Swh0b.99

skuthorp
07-08-2016, 09:28 AM
"He said Ray suffers from mental illness…"

"The deputy luckily grabbed the barrel and pushed him back," Harrison said. "The man says, 'I got something for you' and reached in his pocket and came back with a pistol."

?

Rum_Pirate
07-08-2016, 09:31 AM
He suffers from mental illness and is eligible to have a gun????????????????

Tom Wilkinson
07-08-2016, 09:35 AM

Have you not been paying attention?

Dan McCosh
07-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Don't see how this qualifies as good police work. It's just incredible luck.

Rum_Pirate
07-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Have you not been paying attention?
Just 'shaking my head' (no emoticon available) in disbelief at the continued stupidity of it all and the unlikeliness of it changing for the better in the foreseeable future.

If he was black he would be dead.

That's 'Murica' for you, unfortunately.

PS link in OP did not work. found this: http://www.wral.com/man-charged-with-shooting-at-wake-deputy/15832777/

biga
07-08-2016, 10:16 AM

facts not in evidence. do you think you help any situation by inflaming arguments with rhetoric and lies?

Canoez
07-08-2016, 10:19 AM

Highly likely.

Rum_Pirate
07-08-2016, 10:47 AM
facts not in evidence. do you think you help any situation by inflaming arguments with rhetoric and lies?

Erm, how is anything that is discussed, or written, on this forum is going to help any situation out there in the 'real' world ? :confused: The posts on this forum are highly unlikely to be presented to the President or the Supreme Court in regard to the topic of this Thread. :d

As to inflaming arguments with rhetoric ? It is a statement of my opinion which, BTW I am entitled to make. :ycool:

As to inflaming arguments with lies ? Where have I lied? I stated my opinion, which BTW I am entitled to do.:ycool:

So if you don't like my (or anybody else's) opinions, there is an 'Ignore' feature on the forum that you should consider using. :D

However if you are so incensed that I, or anyone else, has overstepped your 'line in the sand', you can always refer the matter to the Moderator, Scot.
From FAQ:
...Need to report an inappropriate posting/thread? Be sure to include a direct link, and why the posting is inappropriate. |;)

Rhetoric | Definition of Rhetoric by Merriam-Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rhetoric)

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rhetoric
Merriam‑Webster
Full Definition of rhetoric. 1 : the art of speaking or writing effectively: as a : the study of principles and rules of composition formulated by critics of ancient times b : the study of writing or speaking as a means of communication or persuasion.

biga
07-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Erm, how is anything that is discussed, or written, on this forum is going to help any situation out there in the 'real' world ? :confused: The posts on this forum are highly unlikely to be presented to the President or the Supreme Court in regard to the topic of this Thread. :d

As to inflaming arguments with rhetoric ? It is a statement of my opinion which, BTW I am entitled to make. :ycool:

As to inflaming arguments with lies ? Where have I lied? I stated my opinion, which BTW I am entitled to do.:ycool:

So if you don't like my (or anybody else's) opinions, there is an 'Ignore' feature on the forum that you should consider using. :D

However if you are so incensed that I, or anyone else, has overstepped your 'line in the sand', you can always refer the matter to the Moderator, Scot.
From FAQ:
...Need to report an inappropriate posting/thread? Be sure to include a direct link, and why the posting is inappropriate. |;)

i don't report people to moderators. i do like the irony of you telling me you have the right to spew your opinions while denouncing the opinion i have made.

why would i ignore you or anyone else? is rubbing your finger across a little wheel in your hand too dang difficult these days?

Rum_Pirate
07-08-2016, 11:17 AM
i don't report people to moderators. i do like the irony of you telling me you have the right to spew your opinions while denouncing the opinion i have made.

why would i ignore you or anyone else? is rubbing your finger across a little wheel in your hand too dang difficult these days?

Your opinions are incorrect and you made accusations against me. I asked for substantiation and asked for evidence of your accusations e.g. where did I lie?

I also asked the following:

1. Erm, how is anything that is discussed, or written, on this forum is going to help any situation out there in the 'real' world ?

2. Where have I lied?You decided to ignore them. Your perogrative.:ycool:

Let me answer the questions you raised (although you did not have the courtesy to answer mine):

i) why would i ignore you or anyone else? Well you have already done so by ignored my questions.|;) As to why, I already answered that "So if you don't like my (or anybody else's) opinions, there is an 'Ignore' feature on the forum that you should consider using."

ii) is rubbing your finger across a little wheel in your hand too dang difficult these days? Don't need to, I don't have one, I have an http://www.guidingtech.com/assets/postimages/2015/10/shutterstock-magic-mouse-apple.png. Perhaps your little wheel is not working.

BTW Is it too difficult for you to capitalise the 'i' when referring to yourself?
Perhaps you don't you have a http://www.evinco-software.com/eng/techImage/help-shift-key.jpg key on your keyboard, in which case accept my sympathies.

biga
07-08-2016, 11:51 AM
Your opinions are incorrect and you made accusations against me. I asked for substantiation and asked for evidence of your accusations e.g. where did I lie?

I also asked the following:

1. Erm, how is anything that is discussed, or written, on this forum is going to help any situation out there in the 'real' world ?

2. Where have I lied?You decided to ignore them. Your perogrative.:ycool:

Let me answer the questions you raised (although you did not have the courtesy to answer mine):

i) why would i ignore you or anyone else? Well you have already done so by ignored my questions.|;) As to why, I already answered that "So if you don't like my (or anybody else's) opinions, there is an 'Ignore' feature on the forum that you should consider using."

ii) is rubbing your finger across a little wheel in your hand too dang difficult these days? Don't need to, I don't have one, I have an http://www.guidingtech.com/assets/postimages/2015/10/shutterstock-magic-mouse-apple.png. Perhaps your little wheel is not working.

BTW Is it too difficult for you to capitalise the 'i' when referring to yourself?
Perhaps you don't you have a http://www.evinco-software.com/eng/techImage/help-shift-key.jpg key on your keyboard, in which case accept my sympathies.

trollin trollin trollin... keep that liberal trollin raw hide.

Canoeyawl
07-08-2016, 11:56 AM

That is why we have the "ignore" function

Rum_Pirate
07-08-2016, 12:03 PM

My being accused of being a 'liberal' on this forum, thats a first. :d

Keep on posting, but do try and stop shooting yourself in the foot. :ycool:

Canoez
07-08-2016, 12:08 PM

Liberal? Rummy?

You know nothing, Biga Snow.

biga
07-08-2016, 12:11 PM

Keep on posting, but do try and stop shooting yourself in the foot. :ycool:

you made the statement "if he was black he would be dead". not "i BELIEVE/THINK/HAVE THE OPINION THAT if he was black..." so you made a statement asserting something as fact that was anything but a fact. thus, perpetuating a lie that cannot be substantiated. step back and look at your original comment. what purpose does it serve? does it help in any fashion or is it just more inflammatory rhetoric and falsehoods which lead this shooter into his deadly rampage? i fully support your right to opinions, but you have to be willing to be supportive of opinions that are contrary to your narrative.

Rum_Pirate
07-08-2016, 12:29 PM
you made the statement "if he was black he would be dead". not "i BELIEVE/THINK/HAVE THE OPINION THAT if he was black..." so you made a statement asserting something as fact that was anything but a fact. thus, perpetuating a lie that cannot be substantiated. step back and look at your original comment. what purpose does it serve? does it help in any fashion or is it just more inflammatory rhetoric and falsehoods which lead this shooter into his deadly rampage? i fully support your right to opinions, but you have to be willing to be supportive of opinions that are contrary to your narrative.

As pointed out before, in post #9 :

Please be guided accordingly.

Now run along, there's a good chap. :ycool:

biga
07-08-2016, 01:43 PM
As pointed out before, in post #9 :

Please be guided accordingly.

Now run along, there's a good chap. :ycool:

so you pointed out that you were making an opinion statement AFTER i replied to that statement that was worded as a factual statement and then re-quoted that secondary statement in rebuttal to the original posting disagreeing with a stated opinion post about not liking an opinion and then telling me to run along like you have bested me in a duel....

you have a truly amazing intellect.

Captain Intrepid
07-08-2016, 01:54 PM
If he was black he would be dead right now.

Rum_Pirate
07-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Me, William Bruce Ray or Biga?

BTW Did you read Post # 6? :D

Captain Intrepid
07-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Me, William Bruce Ray or Biga?

BTW Did you read Post # 6? :D

Read the whole thread. You were absolutely right in #6.

biga
07-08-2016, 02:19 PM
gang trolling. nice work fellas

TomF
07-08-2016, 02:26 PM

Keep on posting, but do try and stop shooting yourself in the foot. :ycool:hilarious :D

McMike
07-08-2016, 06:14 PM
gang trolling. nice work fellas

If he were black, he'd be dead.

Gerarddm
07-09-2016, 12:33 AM

see my thread on this.

elf
07-09-2016, 12:40 AM
If he had been black he would have been dead by the time the cop pushed the gun aside.