PDA

View Full Version : I commend you - Bilge Rats

David G
07-06-2016, 11:16 AM
I have noticed a small, but encouraging, trend toward IGNORING the known dingbats most frothy fulminations... instead of feeding them.

I salute those who have shown such admirable restraint.

May the trend grow and become the norm (NO.. not YOU, Norm).

Gerarddm
07-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Ignore is your friend.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
07-06-2016, 12:20 PM
I plead the Fifth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdeo7Q2E5cE

delecta
07-06-2016, 02:32 PM
I have noticed a small, but encouraging, trend toward IGNORING the known dingbats most frothy fulminations... instead of feeding them.

I salute those who have shown such admirable restraint.

May the trend grow and become the norm (NO.. not YOU, Norm).

Seems kind of odd to praise those that ignore you but if that gets the pulse going, good to hear. So how long before you're banned again, considering only dingbats, trolls and the offensive enter band camp.

Ignore is for the week, those that have no self control should be kept away from sharp objects, right leaning posters. :d

pipefitter
07-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Seems kind of odd to praise those that ignore you but if that gets the pulse going, good to hear. So how long before you're banned again, considering only dingbats, trolls and the offensive enter band camp.

Ignore is for the week, those that have no self control should be kept away from sharp objects, right leaning posters. :d

And might also fit the profile of those we need to apply tighter gun restrictions to as well.

TomF
07-06-2016, 03:37 PM
Ignore is for the week...what's for the month? :D

Gerarddm
07-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Ignore is also for people who can't bloody spell simple words. Why should anybody have to suffer fools gladly? Is there no balm in Gilead?

Bobcat
07-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Simple word misspellings?!? We have a poster who puts people on the ingore list.

I am thinking of trying that

delecta
07-06-2016, 03:59 PM
What can I say, auto correct is week. hehe

David G
07-06-2016, 04:01 PM

Let's define 'dingbat', shall we?

This'll be fun! My definition would include those who bring notions to the Bilge, which they are then unable to defend with facts, data, and/or logic. I think it would also have to include those who... being unable to support their ideas, or being faced with a reasonable rebuttal, fail to admit their error. Who, instead, duck, dodge, deflect, and employ various logical fallacies to forlornly, but stubbornly, show that they actually are 'right'. And, to qualify, I think they'd have to do all that, not once, but regularly.

You, it seems, have a different definition. What would your definition be?

Canoeyawl
07-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Dingbat

ding·bat
ˈdiNGˌbat/
informal
noun
NORTH AMERICANAUSTRALIAN/NEW ZEALAND
a stupid or eccentric person.
a typographical device other than a letter or numeral (such as an asterisk), used to signal divisions in text or to replace letters in a euphemistically presented vulgar word.

David G
07-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Dingbat

ding·bat
ˈdiNGˌbat/
informal
noun
NORTH AMERICANAUSTRALIAN/NEW ZEALAND
a stupid or eccentric person.
a typographical device other than a letter or numeral (such as an asterisk), used to signal divisions in text or to replace letters in a euphemistically presented vulgar word.

Well, yes.

But we are creating a $*&%$)&*% BILGE definition!!! <G>

Tom Montgomery
07-06-2016, 04:58 PM
I added another newbie troll to my ignore list just five minutes ago.

Vince Brennan
07-06-2016, 05:57 PM
What is the maximum number of dingbats permissible in one's own personal Coventry? While mine is getting somewhat crowded, I did just dig extra latrines.

I dunno, David, perhaps we're growing up, but it becomes easier and easier to ignore the flapdoodles (even when YOU have them in Coventry and someone just HAS to quote them) by, for me, remembering that they are nothing but "Attention Whores" whose payment is the very notice engendered by the replies and excoriation they get from outraged forumites. By restraining oneself and denying them the vicarious thrill of recognition, they will eventually realize that their idiocies will never convince anyone to adopt their (usually) brainless positions and they'll become tired of shouting down the well.

Think of it as "Stupidity Signalling"

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!

David G
07-06-2016, 09:17 PM

Let's define 'dingbat', shall we?

This'll be fun! My definition would include those who bring notions to the Bilge, which they are then unable to defend with facts, data, and/or logic. I think it would also have to include those who... being unable to support their ideas, or being faced with a reasonable rebuttal, fail to admit their error. Who, instead, duck, dodge, deflect, and employ various logical fallacies to forlornly, but stubbornly, show that they actually are 'right'. And, to qualify, I think they'd have to do all that, not once, but regularly.

You, it seems, have a different definition. What would your definition be?

Oops... you left a type of person off of your 'gets banned' list. Those who have too little patience with fools, and are prone to bluntness.

Also I didn't mention 'right-leaning poster'. Are you suggesting that all the dingbats are right wingers? Well... maybe. You're probably right.

But we're still waiting for YOUR definition of 'dingbat'. What's your working definition? Even a rough draft will do.

David G
07-08-2016, 09:58 AM
On the flipside... I can't say how impressed I am with those dauntless souls who continue to engage with the usual suspects. Offering carefully crafted rebuttals informed by facts and rationality in the face of the howling winds of a Sahara sandstorm of ignorance and intransigence.

You have more patience (and a much wider streak of masochism??) than I... and I salute you as well!!!