PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 and 10 users: watch out for this one

Norman Bernstein
07-05-2016, 07:26 PM
I got bit by a bug.

Here I was, tooling along on my machine (all five screens humming along nicely), when suddenly, I get the W10 equivalent of the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). It's not like the old BSOD... it says something about a video 'scheduler' failure, and in the fine print, it says "Video TDR failure (atikmpag.sys)"

The screen says it's fixing things, and will reboot... but then the same thing happens again... and again. Fortunately, W10 is smart enough to eventually stop and say, "Hey, it looks like Windows didn't load properly.. here's a bunch of things you can try..."

Well, I spent a few minutes in a bit of a panic at the possibility of some pernicious worm or virus... despite my up-to-date virus protection...

Thankfully, my laptop was already booted up, so I ran to do the usual research.

This turns out to probably not be a Microsoft error.... it appears to be related to an AMD video driver. The google search wasn't all that specific about it, other than to say that the failure usually occurs after a Windows update, but it's not the fault of the update, per se, but a fault of the driver. The research also indicated that prior driver versions were probably OK.

The good news, for me, at least, is that I use the Intel graphics built in to the motherboard, plus two video cards.... one of which is an ATI Radeon (AMD). Rather than even TRY to screw with it, I ripped the card out of the chassis, and now I'm limping along with just four monitors running (hahaha) but I'll replace the card with something from Nvida, which appears to be a more reliable vendor.

The reason for posting a warning: if you've got only one monitor, and it's an AMD (ATI Radeon) card, I don't know HOW you can fix it!

Old Dryfoot
07-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Have you heard of Matrox graphics cards? You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that does multi-head display better.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/

Norman Bernstein
07-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Have you heard of Matrox graphics cards? You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that does multi-head display better.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/

Yeah, I know them from decades ago... when I built a couple of machines for the local community TV station, and Matrox was the king of video cards for professional applications.

These days, multi-head cards are ubiquitous, and this is the first time, in maybe a decade of using them, that I've had a problem. The Nvida card I'm using for two of the monitors is working great.

Old Dryfoot
07-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Same. I was religious about them up to around the time of the AGP bus. Which is right around the time they ceded the gaming market to nVidia and ATI.

Vince Brennan
07-06-2016, 06:59 AM
Wow! Quick trip down memory lane. Thanks for the H.U.!