PDA

View Full Version : It is only a billion

Rum_Pirate
07-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Came across this:
It is only a billion

The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about whether you want the 'politicians' spending YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A.​ A ​billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E. A billion Dollars ago was only 13 hours and 12 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it!

Stamp Duty Tax
Tobacco Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Income Tax Council Tax
Unemployment Tax
Fishing Licence Tax
Petrol/Diesel Tax
Inheritance Tax (tax on top of tax)
Alcohol Tax
G.S.T.
Property Tax
Service charge Taxes
Social Security Tax
Vehicle Licence / Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Workers Compensation Tax
Carbon Dioxide Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 60 years ago and our nation was one of the most prosperous in the world.
We had absolutely no national debt.
We had the largest middle class in the world.
Mum stayed home to raise the kids.
Dad and teachers were allowed to discipline kids.
A criminals life was uncomfortable.
Boat people were kids sailing on the harbour.
What the hell happened?
'Political Correctness', ‘Politicians', or both?'

Disclaimer: I have not bothered to check each and every bit for accuracy. You may wish to this for your own piece of mind. Either way I don't really care.

Paul Pless
07-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Disclaimer: I don't really care.neither do i

LeeG
07-05-2016, 02:40 PM
A most curious post

BrianY
07-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Yes, it's perfectly obvious that the only reason America isn't what is was 60 years ago is the existence of these taxes. :rolleyes:

Norman Bernstein
07-05-2016, 02:52 PM
A clear demonstration that it's possible to assemble a collection of unrelated facts, which can then be used to draw incredibly stupid conclusions.

Rum_Pirate
07-05-2016, 02:55 PM
A clear demonstration that it's possible to assemble a collection of unrelated facts, which can then be used to draw incredibly stupid conclusions.

. . . and that is your conclusion. :d

TomF
07-05-2016, 03:05 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIAI2oBdp_uToGsrqx114cswLULm5JW ZtWVhBC9NyzkfgWbXPYWg

BrianY
07-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Now wait a second, Norman. I've though about this a bit and the OP is spot on. All of those taxes listed ARE the problem. We should get rid of them and go back to the way things were 60 years ago. In 1956:

Top Rate on Regular Income: 91% (Married Filing Jointly and Single for income over $400,000)

Top Rate on Capital Gains: 25%
Top Rate on Corporate Tax: 52%

That, and the elimination of several other things that weren't around 60 years ago like microwave popcorn, velcro, Blue Ray video and the Android operating system will Make America Great Again©

hokiefan
07-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Now wait a second, Norman. I've though about this a bit and the OP is spot on. All of those taxes listed ARE the problem. We should get rid of them and go back to the way things were 60 years ago. In 1956:

Top Rate on Regular Income: 91% (Married Filing Jointly and Single for income over $400,000)

Top Rate on Capital Gains: 25%
Top Rate on Corporate Tax: 52%

That, and the elimination of several other things that weren't around 60 years ago like microwave popcorn, velcro, Blue Ray video and the Android operating system will Make America Great Again©

The other thing that wasn't around in 1956 was a large industrial base anywhere outside the US, since that of the rest of the world had been bombed into the stone ages during WWII. With no significant competition it was really hard for the US economy to fail.

Willin'
07-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Gosh, and with no pesky EPA around destroying jobs and wasting money we can get back to the Great Lakes being dying cesspools, black toxic sludge in our rivers and the Love Canal.

Ah, the good old days.

Norman Bernstein
07-05-2016, 03:37 PM
The particular lie in that screed, which sets my teeth on edge, is the stupid rant about the inheritance tax being 'a tax upon a tax'. Nothing could be further from the truth... and in fact, in most cases, it's exactly the opposite: inheritances (in most cases) consist of capital gains that have not only NOT been taxed.... but they haven't been taxed even ONCE.

This lie persists, no matter how often it's been debunked.

Keith Wilson
07-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Not one of these taxes existed 60 years ago . . .OK let's look at this. 60 years ago is 1956.

Stamp Duty Tax - State taxes only, varies by state, and has been going on a lot longer then 60 years
Tobacco Tax - First one was Iowa in 1921; by 1950, 40 states had them, and all by 1969.
Corporate Income Tax

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/Corporate_Income_Tax_as_a_Share_of_GDP,_1946_-_2009.png/440px-Corporate_Income_Tax_as_a_Share_of_GDP,_1946_-_2009.png

Income Tax Council Tax - This is a UK thing, not US
Unemployment Tax - Implemented in 1939.
Fishing Licence Tax - Varies by state; MN has charged for hunting and fishing licences since the late 19th century.
Petrol/Diesel Tax - Implemented first in 1932
Inheritance Tax (tax on top of tax) - First implemented in 1916. In 1956, the top rate was 78%.

http://www.heritage.org/static/reportimages/DE7F87A5C7FF15EA8B10001E4F5AC874.gif

Alcohol Tax - There have been excise taxes on alcohol in the US since 1812 at least.
G.S.T. - This is Australian.
Property Tax - There have been state and local property taxes since the beginning of the republic.
Service Charge Taxes - this is income tax on tips, first required to be withheld in 1965.
Social Security Tax - Implemented in 1935
Vehicle Licence / Registration Tax - State again, but they've been in place since the early 20th century.
Vehicle Sales Tax - Likewise
Workers Compensation Tax - the first one was passed in 1902, and every state had one by 1949.
Carbon Dioxide Tax - Doesn't exist in the US. It probably should.

So, to make it brief, the OP is COMPLETE BULLSH!T. Out of seventeen taxes listed, three don't exist in the US at all, and of the rest, only ONE didn't exist 60 years ago. This is the sort of nonsense I'd expect from my 87-year-old Uncle Bud, a great guy, but not nearly as sharp as he used to be.

Federal tax receipts in the US have been roughly constant as a percent of GDP since the early '50s.

http://www.truthfulpolitics.com/images/us-government-revenue-percent-gdp-1902-2015.png

Norman Bernstein
07-05-2016, 03:40 PM
STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 60 years ago and our nation was one of the most prosperous in the world.

A lot of people just can't see the lie right in front of their face.....

...and when they're shown the lie, they STILL persist in believing it.

Rum_Pirate, now that you've been shown it's a lie... are you one of those who still prefer to BELIEVE the lie?

Paul Pless
07-05-2016, 03:59 PM
A lot of people just can't see the lie right in front of their face.....

...and when they're shown the lie, they STILL persist in believing it.

Rum_Pirate, now that you've been shown it's a lie... are you one of those who still prefer to BELIEVE the lie?you must have missed the disclaimer

TomF
07-05-2016, 04:07 PM
you must have missed the disclaimerIt wasn't a disclaimer; it was a little dose of "GFY."

Norman Bernstein
07-05-2016, 04:11 PM
It's cool to post a disclaimer.... but you can't tell me that someone would take the time and effort to post something he doesn't actually believe.

jack grebe
07-05-2016, 06:53 PM
It's cool to post a disclaimer.... but you can't tell me that someone would take the time and effort to post something he doesn't actually believe.

I think maybe I need a disclaimer as a signature line.....

jack grebe
07-05-2016, 06:54 PM
a most curious troll

ftfy

Tom Montgomery
07-05-2016, 06:58 PM
I long for the goodle days.

Canoeyawl
07-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Came across this:
Disclaimer: I have not bothered to check each and every bit for accuracy. You may wish to this for your own piece of mind. Either way I don't really care.

Disclaimer? If you don't already know this grade school stuff, then you really should check before posting blatant lies.

No National debt in 1959 - On what planet?
Dads and teachers were allowed to and did beat children
Mum was discriminated against and unemployed
"What the hell happened?" Life got better for women and children and you have a problem with that?

Gerarddm
07-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Let me quote that jerk GOP Congressman from a few years back: You lie.