PDA

View Full Version : Sally (Forth) Free and Easy

Lew Barrett
06-30-2016, 07:28 PM
I really don't want to have an agenda or anything to accomplish except to say

I love this place and I feel connected to the people who use it.

I love it even when I can't get out of my own way and find myself embroiled in "those" threads. I promise myself I won't engage, yet I break the promise routinely. The one thing I haven't tried is an open declaration. Of course, I refuse to ban myself eternally from discussion on things ethical, moral, political, religious, ballistic or political but for this month I am going to try. Really, it's for my own good and has nothing to do with anybody else.

My platform follows. Anybody who ever passes through Nashville has a good room here in a pleasant part of town. The room has Roku and a decent bed suitable to two friendly people and it has a private bathroom. Downstairs there is coffee, bread and salt, butter and tomatoes, peaches, cheese and chocolate. Upstairs there is music and a cooler full of beer and soda and there is rum. Travelers who pass through here have a shop and a safe place to park to replace a fuse or fix a broken headlight. And there is music and an extra motorcycle for those so inclined.

If coming through Tennessee this month, we will feed you and water you and all are welcome. Beneath, atop and alongside all, we are akin. When we forget that the world is a meaner place. If we remember there is hope. I expect the same in return from all of you.

Be nice to your people, and remind me to do the same. Love you guys! Let the mirth commence!

Old Dryfoot
06-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Yeah yeah, that's all very fine and well, but who is this Sally Forth? She sounds like a fun girl. . .

The Bigfella
06-30-2016, 07:53 PM
Not to be a stickler for accuracy or anything, but "this month" is June. Your term doesn't start until next month. [insert mirth emoji]

Maybe in your world... but out there in the real world, Lew posted at 9:28am on July 1st. :d

Lew... please post photo of motorcycle. :D

TomF
06-30-2016, 07:56 PM
Makes me wish I were able to take a road trip. Great stuff, Lew.

Bob Adams
06-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Lew's da man!

Lew Barrett
06-30-2016, 08:08 PM
This month of my ascendency, Donn. And yes, you're being a stickler, though it suits you and we're used to it. In this case, the royal we.

Thanks, Tom, you should! Life is short, the road is the place where you will find the meaning. Well, maybe not meaning but definitely Motel Sixes.

Take your pick, Ian. I'll ride the one you don't. They're both good but the Ducati is better The BMW gets more eyeballs though.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/Ducati%20Files/Duc_zpse0281297.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/GS%20Files/BC%20Side_zpsrwv7adsv.png

The Bigfella
06-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Hmmm.... both look good... but both promise me a backache, methinks. I'm about to take a breadknife to the foam in the Funduro's seat. This bucket seat concept that crept in over the last 20 years or so is horrible for us taller gentlemen.

John B
06-30-2016, 08:22 PM
Yeah yeah, that's all very fine and well, but who is this Sally Forth? She sounds like a fun girl. . .

Gidget , and then the Flying Nun.

or sumpin'.

ron ll
06-30-2016, 08:43 PM
Maybe in your world... but out there in the real world, Lew posted at 9:28am on July 1st. :d

Then happy Canada Day! :)

TomF
06-30-2016, 08:46 PM
Damn Skippy!

jack grebe
06-30-2016, 08:59 PM
A chance to ride the bikes would be worth the trip alone

Tom Montgomery
06-30-2016, 09:42 PM
I love this place and I feel connected to the people who use it.

I love it even when I can't get out of my own way and find myself embroiled in "those" threads. I promise myself I won't engage, yet I break the promise routinely.
Ditto. (sigh)

You have an entire month, Lew. Do good!

Garret
06-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Ditto. (sigh)

You have an entire month, Lew. Do good!

Double ditto!

Great start Lew! Gotta love a rat early out of the blocks.

Durnik
06-30-2016, 10:11 PM
^ & already the (some) promised motorsicles! ;-)

enjoy
bobby

The Bigfella
06-30-2016, 10:14 PM

Do you think the Rat has time to do a day trip up to see my son, if I come visit during his reign? Nashville's near Colorado, isn't it?

Tom@NC
07-01-2016, 06:59 AM
Nashville is just down the road from Colorado, not far.

Tom

chuckt
07-01-2016, 08:29 AM
Okay--so when did this Tennessee thing happen? A funny thing about a forum is that you can't possibly catch everything going on. You stumble on some thread or new post and realize you missed something.

Lew Barrett
07-01-2016, 08:35 AM
This month of my ascendency, Donn. And yes, you're being a stickler, though it suits you and we're used to it. In this case, the royal we.

Thanks, Tom, you should! Life is short, the road is the place where you will find the meaning. Well, maybe not meaning but definitely Motel Sixes.

Take your pick, Ian. I'll ride the one you don't. They're both good but the Ducati is better The BMW gets more eyeballs though.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/Ducati%20Files/Duc_zpse0281297.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/GS%20Files/BC%20Side_zpsrwv7adsv.png

You should be OK on the Ducati. The BMW is a stretch to the bars for me but might suit you. Both of them have custom saddles. They work for me, don't know about you. Nash to Colorado, hop, skip and a plane ride.

Lew Barrett
07-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Nashville is just down the road from Colorado, not far.

Tom

:):D

Lew Barrett
07-01-2016, 08:38 AM
Okay--so when did this Tennessee thing happen? A funny thing about a forum is that you can't possibly catch everything going on. You stumble on some thread or new post and realize you missed something.

End of last summer. Plan is for another year here then build a little house someplace on the west coast, probably back in western WA. Go coastal in the summer and postal in Nashville. This was all my wife's idea.

Paul Pless
07-01-2016, 08:38 AM
You should be OK on the Ducati. The BMW is a stretch to the bars for me but might suit you. Both of them have custom saddles. They work for me, don't know about you. Nash to Colorado, hop, skip and a plane ride.Gatenby should visit Lew the first week of October and y'all should ride down and meet me at Barber's vintage motorcycle race weekend October 7, 8, and 9th.

Lew Barrett
07-01-2016, 08:39 AM

It really is just down the road for you.

Gatenby should visit Lew the first week of October and y'all should ride down and meet me at Barber's vintage motorcycle race weekend October 7, 8, and 9th.

Good plan. I can meet you with or without Big, piece of cake.

Lew Barrett
07-01-2016, 08:46 AM

Actually, she's Sally Free. I added the forth part. Remember Pentangle? Maybe you're too young for that. Bert Jansch and John Renbourne are two fine players. (I guess English? gotta be careful these days with attributions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHlHL8lLa7M

Free and easy seemed like a good theme for the month. Pretty obtuse on my part, I'm sure!

Duncan Gibbs
07-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Let the mirth commence!
Oh Lord! Have mirthy!

Duncan Gibbs
07-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Free and easy seemed like a good theme for the month. Pretty obtuse on my part, I'm sure!
So what's your take, oh Great BROTM, on the unfolding political situation in Freeaneasia?

And it'd be nice to visit one day as well Lew. :)

Vince Brennan
07-01-2016, 08:56 AM
I thought you were heading for the '80 Sally Forth strips;

http://www.anniemayhem.com/blog%20pics/SallyForthHalloween.jpg

I knew you wouldn't be posting Wally Wood's Sally Forth (q.v.) as a BROTM banned on his first day would set all SORTS of records.

Old Dryfoot
07-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Remember Pentangle?

I do!

Though I admit, I didn't make the connection straight away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwT0COKXFMM

Garret
07-01-2016, 11:32 AM
I do!

Though I admit, I didn't make the connection straight away.

'zactly what he said!

Lew Barrett
07-01-2016, 11:47 AM
So what's your take, oh Great BROTM, on the unfolding political situation in Freeaneasia?

And it'd be nice to visit one day as well Lew. :)

Love to have you. Could use some advice on the new garden! Freeandeasia is a wonderful place. Everyone rides llamas, ice cream is served for breakfast, and you can bring your cat to work which isn't really work at all. You just ride your llama there, have coffee and scones with friends, and then go to the park to listen to a Bach concert. If you don't like Bach, they have an alternate venue where the Clash are playing.

Lew Barrett
07-01-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm a fan of Pentangle and Fairport Convention. English R&R plucked from the time before there was R&R. It is an acquired taste, though.

isla
07-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the Pentangle Lew. Here's another great version..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRLl4ys0YA0

Garret
07-01-2016, 02:46 PM
I'm a fan of Pentangle and Fairport Convention. English R&R plucked from the time before there was R&R. It is an acquired taste, though.

Yessir!

Lew Barrett
07-01-2016, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the Pentangle Lew. Here's another great version..

Never heard that one. I enjoyed it, but think I prefer Pentangle's jazzy version. Celtic/English/Irish music can be fabulous and you hear the echoes of it here in bluegrass all the time. You like Lorenna McKinnett? I think she's terrific. She's playing here in the fall and I'm buying tickets for the show at the Ryman.

Garret
07-01-2016, 08:03 PM
Never heard that one. I enjoyed it, but think I prefer Pentangle's jazzy version. Celtic/English/Irish music can be fabulous and you hear the echoes of it here in bluegrass all the time. You like Lorenna McKinnett? I think she's terrific. She's playing here in the fall and I'm buying tickets for the show at the Ryman.

A few years ago I had a conference in Nashville - staying at a hotel about a block from the Ryman. When I arrived @ 4 in the afternoon, I learned that Emmy Lou was playing at the Ryman that night - but was sold out. Talk about bummed!

Lotta good music in your new town.