PDA

View Full Version : Things in Blight

Jim Bow
06-30-2016, 04:14 PM
In England:
Household current (called"mains") is 230v. The plugs have three huge lugs but the bodies are flat so they don't stick out like American plugs.
Each outlet has an on/off switch, and bathroom outlets are a different configuration. Evidently electric shavers and hair dryers can only be plugged into a bathroom outlet.

They have a 1 cent coin, like America, but they also have a 2 cent coin.

Grocery stores allow their checkers to sit on stools.

Laborers wear high visibility clothing and hard hats, no matter what their jobs. We saw a guy walking behind a mower, at least 50 yards from the nearest paved surface, wearing bright yellow pants and vest and a hard hat.

People love to talk about last December's flood. We were in Burnley, Padiham, and Hebden Bridge. But it seems that 400 year old stone buildings fare better than the stick built flood victims at home.

Peerie Maa
06-30-2016, 04:19 PM
Didja enjoy your visit?

lupussonic
06-30-2016, 04:35 PM
If you bum a fag here, you're just a nuisance.

I think we should do away with copper coins, although at a pinch, they do make good washers.

Peerie Maa
06-30-2016, 04:43 PM

I think we should do away with copper coins, although at a pinch, they do make good washers.
Not much copper in a copper any more, they are copper plated steel.

PeterSibley
06-30-2016, 05:26 PM

We did, I've got jars full of them !

Chip-skiff
06-30-2016, 06:34 PM
Did you mean Blighty?

Although after Brexit, I reckon they can't afford the Y.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-01-2016, 12:14 AM

Copper Coins are just a fond memory, "Coppers" now rust and stick to magnets!

PeterSibley
07-01-2016, 12:45 AM
Copper Coins are just a fond memory, "Coppers" now rust and stick to magnets!

I just tested my jar of 2c pieces and found a UK penny amongst them. The 2c coins are copper , the UK 1p liked the magnet!!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
07-01-2016, 06:09 AM
I think we got household electricity right, starting some sixty-odd years ago. There is a fuse in every plug as well as a circuit breaker at the panel, and the third huge flat pin is the earth.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-01-2016, 07:00 AM
And sometimes it's made of plastic!