PDA

View Full Version : Interesting NTY article on Syrian regugees in Canada

Flying Orca
06-30-2016, 09:08 AM
There's an interesting, and well-balanced in my opinion, article on the experience of Syrian refugees and their Canadian sponsors in the New York Times. As an immigrant to Canada myself, and from the USA at that, I think this issue throws into sharp relief the apparently diverging paths of the two countries of which I am a citizen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world/americas/canada-syrian-refugees.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world/americas/canada-syrian-refugees.html)

Keith Wilson
06-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Well, damn. If the word 'hero' means anything at all, it describes those folks.

TomF
06-30-2016, 10:00 AM
The Immigration minister's correct; he can't provide Syrian refugees quickly enough to keep up with the demand. A group I'm part of organized itself to welcome a Syrian family, only to find that it will take several months yet before one could be processed through all the hoops and twists. Would we consider sponsoring another refugee family instead, who's already waiting and ready?

In about a week, we'll be welcoming a family from the Ivory Coast. They've been living in camps for about 8 years, and both parents have been subject to torture and jail. Their three children - ranging from 12-22 - have little if any education; the adults have rudimentary education at best, and had earned their livings doing things which have little transferability to Canada. Not much market here for farmers who've grown African crops with African draft animals, or folks who've traded basic goods in outdoor bazaars.

Our group is ecstatic. One positive impact of the Syrian crisis is that many other groups like mine will have formed all across the country, providing a start for many other refugees who'd never have got the press or opportunity otherwise.

Canada is a big, multicultural place. It can become moreso.

Daniel Noyes
06-30-2016, 12:04 PM
The Immigration minister's correct; he can't provide Syrian refugees quickly enough to keep up with the demand. A group I'm part of organized itself to welcome a Syrian family, only to find that it will take several months yet before one could be processed through all the hoops and twists. Would we consider sponsoring another refugee family instead, who's already waiting and ready?

In about a week, we'll be welcoming a family from the Ivory Coast. They've been living in camps for about 8 years, and both parents have been subject to torture and jail. Their three children - ranging from 12-22 - have little if any education; the adults have rudimentary education at best, and had earned their livings doing things which have little transferability to Canada. Not much market here for farmers who've grown African crops with African draft animals, or folks who've traded basic goods in outdoor bazaars.

Our group is ecstatic. One positive impact of the Syrian crisis is that many other groups like mine will have formed all across the country, providing a start for many other refugees who'd never have got the press or opportunity otherwise.

Canada is a big, multicultural place. It can become moreso.

Great news, what is your "group"? how is it organized? a number of families from our church have been talking about something similar and are finding a lot of red tape.

For us it has nothing to do with "Multiculturalism", our culture here in New England is, and has been, Just Fine thank you... It's all about helping people in desperate and genuine need.

TomF
06-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Our group is mostly folks from our church, with some interested others. The CDN government has some hoops if you want to sponsor someone - fundraising, commitment to a minimum of a year's involvement, etc. Help to locate housing, shepherd folks through school setups etc.

Helping people who need it is a good thing; often you find that the "helping" turns around and enriches your life unexpectedly too, though not every time. Hope your group comes together as you'd wish.

My SLP daughter found a file with pics of common objects, and names in Arabic and English written in. Folks in some groups are cutting these out and taping them to the spots in the newconers' apartments. If you want, I could blip the file to you.

Chip-skiff
06-30-2016, 12:19 PM
There's an interesting, and well-balanced in my opinion, article on the experience of Syrian refugees and their Canadian sponsors in the New York Times. As an immigrant to Canada myself, and from the USA at that, I think this issue throws into sharp relief the apparently diverging paths of the two countries of which I am a citizen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world/americas/canada-syrian-refugees.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world/americas/canada-syrian-refugees.html)

Saw it this morning: a good and heartening piece. The photos accompanying it are marvelous.