Do you think Trump should be soliciting contributions from foreign politicians?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ljb5
    • Jan 2004

Do you think Trump should be soliciting contributions from foreign politicians?

Here's a very strange story.

After being embarrassed by his pathetic fundraising last month, Trump is sending out a blitz of emails asking supporters to send him money.

Oddly, members of Parliament in England, Australia, Iceland, Denmark and Finland have received these emails. According to some reports, it's every member of the Australian Parliament. Several MPs have complained that they're getting multiple emails.

"Members of Parliament are being bombarded by electronic communications from Team Trump on behalf of somebody called Donald Trump," Sir Roger Gale said on Tuesday, according to Politics Home. "Mr Speaker, I’m all in favour of free speech but I don’t see why colleagues on either side of the House should be subjected to intemperate spam."

Campaign finance laws prohibit Trump from accepting money from foreign nationals, so it begs the question: Is he flaunting the law, or is he just really, really bad at the really simple stuff?

My theory is that he (and his kids) really don't know what they're doing, but they are so narcissistic and arrogant that they can't ask for help from the RNC or professional campaign managers. One of Trump's arguments is that he 'hires the best'... but time and time again, we see him surrounded by incompetence.
    ”If you look at it from a contextual standpoint, I think it's accurate. If you contextualize in concrete numbers fashion, it's not accurate."
  • Ian McColgin
    • Apr 1999

Re: Do you think Trump should be soliciting contributions from foreign politicians?

It's a felony.

So far only punishable by the mockery most of those receiving these solicitations have tossed back at Trump.

Comment

• C. Ross
      • May 2007

Re: Do you think Trump should be soliciting contributions from foreign politicians?

Good God. This isn't "the best", or the Varsity, or the JV. This is the freshman team. A high school freshman team.

Comment

• Arizona Bay
        Molecules of Freedom
        • Feb 2011

Arrogance knows no bounds

Scottish MP Natalie McGarry's reply:

Dear Donald J. Trump Jr.

Quite why you think it appropriate to write emails to UK parliamentarians with a begging bowl for your father’s repugnant campaign is completely beyond me.

Given his rhetoric on migrants, refugees and immigration, it seems quite extraordinary that he would be asking foreign nationals for money; especially people who view his dangerous divisiveness with horror.

The U.S. elections are a matter for the American people, but I do send my hope that they reject your father fundamentally at the ballot box, not just to protect and improve the cohesion in society, to stop his corrosive othering of immigrants and for the protection of hard fought women’s rights in the U.S. but also, selfishly, for world security, and international relations. The thought of his reactionary type of politics and apparent ignorance of world affairs having access to a seat at the world table is both surreal, and terrifying.

The above is a long way to say No, and do not contact me again.
        Sincerely,
        Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

"(T)he Republican Party no longer recognizes the legitimacy of any opposition."

Comment

• Chris Smith porter maine
          • Feb 2008

I think it is his best choice, the RNC does not seem to want to help him much, so what if it is illegal, as boat fix claims the connected can get out of anything.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
            • Jun 2003

Someone, just anyone of those foreign nationals should send him a check...

Then there will be an illegal contribution and the fun will begin.

Comment

• Gerarddm
              #RESIST
              • Feb 2010

^ Good point. The law is probably it's a crime to ACCEPT foreign money, not troll for it.
              Gerard>
              Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• LeeG
                • May 2002

Bizarre

Comment

• ShagRock
                  Pirate of the Grand Banks
                  • Jan 2009

If I send him a Loonie in the mail, will I be jailed.
                  G. Rowe (Bayman)

Comment

• Garret
                    Hills of Vermont
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ShagRock
                    If I send him a Loonie in the mail, will I be jailed.
                    Not now that Trudeau's in power (ducks & runs)
                    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                      • Apr 1999

[IMc - Yep, just the solicitation is unlawful.]

Trump Slapped With FEC Complaint For ‘Illegally’ Soliciting Foreign Money

by Rachel Stockman | 12:50 pm, June 29th, 2016

LawNewz.com*has learned a*nonprofit, nonpartisan group, The Campaign Legal Center, has filed a federal complaint against Donald Trump for allegedly illegally soliciting money from foreign nationals to fund his presidential campaign.

“Donald J. Trump’s presidential campaign committee is violating black-letter federal law by sending campaign fundraising emails to foreign nationals — including foreign politicians — in at least Iceland, Scotland, Australia and Britain,” the group said in a statement. *The group filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission highlighting this violation.

“If the FEC fails to take action on our complaint, it could send a message that Trump and other candidates have the green light**to fundraise overseas,” said Paul Ryan, the deputy executive director of The Campaign Legal Center.

The complaint contends*that this month, Trump’s*campaign sent dozens of prominent Icelandic, Scottish, Australian and British politicians fundraising emails seeking donations. Trump was likely*trying to drum up support*after*the recent ‘Brexit’ vote in which the U.K. voted to leave the European Union. In fact, the group says when Trump was in Scotland promoting his golf course, members of the parliament received emails urging them to donate.

LawNewz.com*reached out to Trump’s campaign for comment but have not heard back. We will update this post as we get more information.

If the allegations are true, federal law is pretty clear on this (See number 2):*
                      It shall be unlawful for-
                      (1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make-
                      (A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;
                      (B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or
                      (C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or
                      (2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.

A nonprofit nonpartisan group, The Campaign Legal Center, filed a complaint against Donald Trump for allegedly illegally soliciting money from foreign nationals to fund his his presidential campaign.

Comment

• ljb5
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by oznabrag
                        OK, college boy.

You're supposed to know what 'begging the question' means.

You're also supposed to know the difference between 'flaunt' and 'flout'.

I only bring it up because I'm really bored with hearing what a worthless sack of garbage Donald Trump is.
                        Touché
                        ”If you look at it from a contextual standpoint, I think it's accurate. If you contextualize in concrete numbers fashion, it's not accurate."

Comment

• Gerarddm
                          #RESIST
                          • Feb 2010

Looks like I was wrong. It is illegal for them to merely solicit a contribution.

It is so blatant I wonder how the FEC or (even ) the FBI could look away. It is so black and white, surely there must be repercussions, or what's a law for?
                          Gerard>
                          Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Rigadog
                            • Apr 2007

Since he's always right, this must be wrong.
                            If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Comment

• ljb5
                              • Jan 2004

According to this report.

The Trump campaign is still sending out emails soliciting money from foreign politicians.

Even after it has been reported in the media, some of the recipients have complained and two groups have filed ethics complaints with the FEC.

He's still doing it.

Not only that, but some of the foreign recipients report they are also getting emails from a pro-Trump super-PAC on the same email accounts.

It is a violation of federal law for campaigns and super-PACs to coordinate their activities, and that certainly includes sharing email lists.

Comment

Working...