PDA

View Full Version : Privatize the Air Traffic Control system?

Jim Bow
06-19-2016, 10:06 PM
I was looking up the lady who tried to explain to us why Brits want to leave the EU.
I discovered this:. https://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/dont-let-air-traffic-control-become-another-amtrak-8986.html

I especially like the part about allowing each airport to select the air traffic control system it prefers. What could possibly go wrong?

skuthorp
06-20-2016, 02:53 AM
Ah yes, instead of belt and braces safety procedures 'risk management' takes over. Meaning that if disaster insurance is cheaper than providing near 100% safe procedures that's the way it'll go. (See the Ford Pinto affair).
Maybe making the privatised systems principles, management and shareholders criminally responsible for any lapses that cause a crash might reduce enthusiasm for the investment?

ahp
06-20-2016, 10:05 AM
I cannot count the ways.

xflow7
06-20-2016, 05:22 PM
The piece in the OP appears mainly designed to be a hit piece on organized labor. From what I understand, the proposal is modeled after Canada's non-profit ATC provider, NavCanada, which I think is generally viewed as having been a success.

katey
06-21-2016, 05:01 PM
I have friends in the FAA and there is a fairly serious movement afoot to privatize that regulatory agency. Apparently it has worked ok in Canada.

CK 17
06-21-2016, 10:50 PM
I think the ATC Union here is in favor of privatization.