PDA

View Full Version : Window tint

bluedog225
06-18-2016, 04:06 PM
Got my jeep windows tinted yesterday. First time I have done this. Including clear on the front which was not legal in texas until recently.

Wish I'd done it earlier. Cuts the heat and glare way back. About 99% uv reduction all round even driving into the afternoon sun. I can drive around w/o sunglasses which is nice. Just keep the readers hanging off the end of my nose.

I went with the "cheap" carbon based, not the ceramic. No regrets. Same price for the job at all three shops in town. What a racket. Almost did it myself. But the 3M material cost alone would have been close to $200 off Amazon and Ebay. The front windshield stuff alone is $100 a roll as far as I can tell. They knocked it out in 1.5 hours.

Cheaper deals on craigslist but no warranty. The place I went to replaced my gf's tint under warranty 10 years later.

Highly recomended. Esp the front windshield. Not sure if insurance will cover it when I pick up a rock.

Paul Pless
06-18-2016, 04:08 PM
It's not worth doing yourself. I agree I like tinted windows.

oznabrag
06-18-2016, 05:28 PM
Got my jeep windows tinted yesterday. First time I have done this. Including clear on the front which was not legal in texas until recently.

Wish I'd done it earlier. Cuts the heat and glare way back. About 99% uv reduction all round even driving into the afternoon sun. I can drive around w/o sunglasses which is nice. Just keep the readers hanging off the end of my nose.

I went with the "cheap" carbon based, not the ceramic. No regrets. Same price for the job at all three shops in town. What a racket. Almost did it myself. But the 3M material cost alone would have been close to $200 off Amazon and Ebay. The front windshield stuff alone is $100 a roll as far as I can tell. They knocked it out in 1.5 hours.

Cheaper deals on craigslist but no warranty. The place I went to replaced my gf's tint under warranty 10 years later.

Highly recomended. Esp the front windshield. Not sure if insurance will cover it when I pick up a rock.

Mother's?

ron ll
06-18-2016, 07:27 PM
It's not worth doing yourself. I agree I like tinted windows.

I hate tinted windows. Safe driving (and walking and bicycling) depend on eye contact with the driver.

The Bigfella
06-18-2016, 07:46 PM
I hate tinted windows. Safe driving (and walking and bicycling) depend on eye contact with the driver.

The Toyota Hilux I travelled around Laos in earlier this year had some sort of tint on the windscreen. I guess this is the ceramic tint. It worked well, but looked a bit strange at times.

David G
06-18-2016, 08:09 PM

Local laws vary - but here, the darkness level is limited... for just that reason. Having lived in Texas, I sympathize. Frustrating & stupid when you have to run the A/C for 10 minutes before you can touch the wheel.

bluedog225
06-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Mother's?

Sun Tint on Koenig aka 290/2222/Allendale/Northland

The stuff on the front has to be mostly clear. DOT regs. This stuff passes over 95% visible light I think. But still blocks uv and heat. That may be why it's so expensive for the windshield.