X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluedog225
    Tom
    • Mar 2009

Which type lock is harder to defeat?

A regular keyed cam lock or one of those round keys? Neither is going to be a high-end lock. I need to replace the lock on my underseat lock box. Thanks
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

Re: Which type lock is harder to defeat?

realistically nobody is gonna pick either lock
    if they want in they'll pry the edge of the seat up, cut the lock off its a padlock type, or hammer the lock through
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Chris Smith porter maine
      • Feb 2008

The round keys are much harder to pick, google bumping if you want to learn a fast way to pick a normal lock, (you basically just rock the pins back and forth with a bit of tension and a pick), the medico tumbler locks are a b*tch to pick due to the shape of there pins, but the home depot stuff is pretty easy.

Comment

• bluedog225
        Tom
        • Mar 2009

Thanks. I got one of those Bestop underseat boxes. Surprisingly thick steel and really tight tolerances on the door. Lock was unreliable (known issue) and only 3 key patterns so I am replacing.

Knocking the lock out in that limited space would be a pain even with a bfh and punch. And noisy as heck. Taking the seat bolts out is also no fun.

Comment

• Chris Smith porter maine
          • Feb 2008

For your viewing pleasure, he calls it raking.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Jim Bow
            Normcore
            • Jul 2008

Cracking Single Dial Combination Locks: *DISCLAIMER* Yah, whatever. I just googled to see if all these disclaimers are legally necessary, couldn't find a definitive answer, and ultimately decided against it. Be smart... whatever that means. There are several instructables out on how to…
            “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• john welsford
              • Sep 2002

I watched a lock picking competition a while back, its a recognised hobby in itself where there are regular contests. You'd be stunned at how fast some of the contestants can open quite complex locks, key and combination both.

John Welsford
              An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

Working...