PDA

View Full Version : google search an racism

Dan McCosh
06-10-2016, 09:16 AM
A story has been running about a Google search for "Three Black Teenagers" vs. a search for "Three White Teenagers". The former allegedly returns police mug shots, while the latter gets prom photos. I tried the search, and the first fills the page with stories about a story about Three Black teenagers on Google, while googling "three white teenagers" also gets a page of stories about three Black teenagers. I'm only surprised that this isn't part of the election coverage.

CWSmith
06-10-2016, 10:17 AM
But is it racism in the news or a reality of teenage statistics?

Remember the riots in Baltimore? Remember the mother who grabbed her son and smacked him around the head because he wanted to join in the riots? When was the last time you saw a bunch of white people rioting in the street because a white guy got shot? They do get shot by the police and not always for cause.

I know that people will argue it's different, but it's not as different as they want it to be.

Dan McCosh
06-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Actually, the reason is language. Using race as a common adjective is mainly used to describe Black activities. White is used much less often, as it would encompass the large majority of people's activities. Try googling Black President; then google White President. Google searches reflect the statistical probability of a word being used, nothing more.