PDA

View Full Version : The 4th of July in Seattle?

BrianW
06-10-2016, 12:34 AM
We might be in Seattle on the 4th, and I was wondering about the fireworks on Lake Union. Online it mentioned being able to view them from Gas Works Park, but I was thinking about getting a room with a view at the Residents Inn at the south end of the lake, near the CWB's.

Not knowing exactly where they set off the fireworks, I'm wondering how the view would be from there?

Or should we look for lodging closer to the Gas Works?

Is there a better show that we should go to instead?

Bobcat
06-10-2016, 01:00 AM
You should have a great view. The fireworks are set off from a barge anchored in Lake Union.

Gerarddm
06-10-2016, 01:21 AM
Nah, you are fine. Enjoy the show.

BrianW
06-10-2016, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Can't beat local knowledge.

J.Madison
06-10-2016, 12:31 PM
I would recommend watching from the center for wooden boats on the south end of the lake. They have a wooden boat show every year on that day/weekend and you can watch with the backdrop of schooner masts and such.

It can be crowded, but so will gas works

ron ll
06-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Residence Inn is perfect. You can see the fireworks and walk across the street to the Wooden Boat Show.

Of course if you have access to a boat, Poulsbo has a great fireworks show on July 3rd. Usually about 3-400 boats anchored for a three or four day party. (Or a mass drag and anchor fouling party if it's windy.)

Bobcat
06-10-2016, 12:47 PM
I watched the Gasworks fireworks from a boat once. We were too close to really see the show. You need some distance

I think Boston Harbor in the South Sound has a 3rd of July show

ron ll
06-10-2016, 12:53 PM
The problem with watching the Lake Union fireworks from a boat is that no one can anchor, so at the end of the show you have hundreds of drunk boaters in the dark all trying to get home at the same time. Not something I want to be in the middle of again. At least at Poulsbo most people just go below and sleep it off.

Bobcat
06-10-2016, 01:23 PM
The problem with watching the Lake Union fireworks from a boat is that no one can anchor, so at the end of the show you have hundreds of drunk boaters in the dark all trying to get home at the same time. Not something I want to be in the middle of again. At least at Poulsbo most people just go below and sleep it off.

That was my view of it.

BETTY-B
06-10-2016, 04:08 PM

Really? Though I haven't done it in quite a few years, I always anchored. As did all the other boats bigger than a ski boat around me. I know it's normally not allowed, but I've never been hassled about it. Maybe I'm thinking New Years? It's over a decade either way.

Brian: You will have an incredible view from a balcony in the Residence Inn. Or, within a few moments walk, you can be anywhere from CWB to LUDD and watch from docks. Your best bet for beer-to-go is on Eastlake in between your hotel and where we all met for lunch a couple years ago. Kitty corner from the Zoo Tavern. Actually, there may be a new store in all that new Paul Allen construction in the blocks behind CWB to the south.

Gasworks is a nightmare nowadays.

Jim Bow
06-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Have you already got a room? Anything with a view might be gone already.

Nothing is worth going near Gasworks on the 4th. Nothing but alcohol infused a$$es and elbows.

BrianW
06-10-2016, 07:10 PM
There was a view room available yesterday. By the time we decide to go, it will probably be gone. ;)