PDA

View Full Version : Secret from Scruffie Marine

Reiner
06-04-2016, 12:04 AM
Hi all
i bought a second hand secret 20 Gaff rigged Cutter (kit supplied by Scruffie Marine) and in the middle of make it a bit tidier
under seats and in other places I found empty places without access and feel I should fill them with foam to have more flotation or should I just leave them empty?
if foam is a good idea what do I use?
cheers
reiner

epoxyboy
06-04-2016, 02:55 AM
The problem with foam is that it can be difficult to ensure adequate ventilation to keep things dry. Any foam you do use needs to be closed cell, otherwise it will suck water up like a sponge. An alternative to foam is empty coke bottles, or similar.
If you have the plans, what do they say about floatation?

Pete

Wooden Boat Fittings
06-04-2016, 03:19 AM
Sleeping mats are closed-cell foam. You could cut up enough, and of the right shape, to fill those spaces -- they wouldn't weight much more than empty soft drink bottles and they won't puncture....

But how can you do that if you don't have access? Or are you thinking of cutting your way in? But in that case aren't those spaces already sealed? :confused:

By the way, make sure to keep the hull properly painted -- there's quite a bit of ply end-grain in those glued tabs, and you won't want any water getting into them.

Mike

Larks
06-04-2016, 03:22 AM
Congratulations on the Scruffy Secret, a lovely boat! (I originally built my shed with the intention of building one of these but extended it and shoved a H28 in there instead Y:o). Are you in Oz or the UK?

If the spaces are empty and can be sealed off, say with new bulkheads and screw out hatches (if you want access later or to air them out) leave them empty. A closed space full of air will provide better flotation than foam anyway - particularly if it gets damp and retains it as Pete says.

epoxyboy
06-04-2016, 03:23 AM
Puncture? Jeez, what are you doing in your enclosed little spaces? Good point about the lack of access, though.

ahp
06-04-2016, 10:29 AM
Puncture? Jeez, what are you doing in your enclosed little spaces? Good point about the lack of access, though.

Are these spaces water tight? If so I suggest you cut access ports. Make a cover for the ports from a leftover piece of ply. Make the covers water tight with a rubber gasket, and held in place with shock cord. Take the covers off when not sailing, but put in place when sailing. Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.