PDA

View Full Version : I have a story

rlmak
06-03-2016, 08:13 PM
It is actually my Dadís story, written my him of his militaryservice during WW II. It is a story that I believe a lot of you would enjoyreading.
He was an old man of 28 when he went to his local draftboard and asked to be drafted, asked because he was in a draft exempt job atthe time. His journey through Army boot camp, OCS and on to Italy is quiteinteresting, along with his views of the Army. At least I think it is.
The problem is that is roughly 8,000 words long. I couldpost it in batches, as I transcribe from his typewritten sheets. Or wait untilI have finished typing it into a word document and post it somewhere else witha link.
What are your suggestions?

Thank you,
Roger

paulf
06-03-2016, 08:19 PM
I would be interested. Most likely the easy thing to do is write it up, and post a link to it, on face book or a blog web. They are easy to set up , then you don't have to tend to it.

Also, others in your family can read it, not just here.

seanz
06-03-2016, 08:23 PM
What Paul said.
:)

Ian McColgin
06-03-2016, 08:59 PM
I sweated blood doing some editing on Dad's taped memoir trying to keep his voice but getting rid of the rambling. Eventually I was taking so long that a cousin took over moving much faster, she realizing that the goal was not great literature but getting the thing in a form the whole family could enjoy. Her light editing was just enough to get it readable.

All of which is just a cautionary thought that the spoken word most often (except for truly gifted story tellers) is dead on the page but for a shared family piece you should not edit to literary standards. Just make it full sentences and nonredundant.

G'luck

Donn
06-03-2016, 11:15 PM
There are several apps which can turn your smartphone into a scanner, with or without optical character recognition. With OCR, you can get a live document in any text format. Without OCR you'll get a photograph (jpeg, etc.). You can then email the photo to a pay service which will run it through hi-quality OCR and return you a near-perfect document.

Sailor
06-04-2016, 02:16 AM
UMMMM, Guys, he said it's from typewritten sheets. Likely already in some readable format. I didn't know there was a word count limit on posts here. Too bad. I look forward to reading about it.
Cheers,
Daniel

The Bigfella
06-04-2016, 02:28 AM
UMMMM, Guys, he said it's from typewritten sheets. Likely already in some readable format. I didn't know there was a word count limit on posts here. Too bad. I look forward to reading about it.
Cheers,
Daniel

That's easy. There's a limit per post, IIRC of 12,000 characters. Also a limit of 6 images, including smilies.

So... break it into multiple posts. 5,000 words... maybe 5 or 6 posts

rlmak
06-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the advice. It will be hard to edit, as you know can guess is golden to me, but I see there are parts that are a bit mundane and don't add that much to the story, so edit I will.
I can easily split it up into bite size chunks and post them here as I transcribe them. He wrote this as a bunch of very short stories, individual incidents, so its pretty easy to read.
I will start a new post titled "A Combat Engineer".

S.V. Airlie
06-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the advice. It will be hard to edit, as you know can guess is golden to me, but I see there are parts that are a bit mundane and don't add that much to the story, so edit I will.
I can easily split it up into bite size chunks and post them here as I transcribe them. He wrote this as a bunch of very short stories, individual incidents, so its pretty easy to read.
I will start a new post titled "A Combat Engineer".Works for me! My father NEVER talked about WW2 at all.

Jim Bow
06-04-2016, 11:27 AM
I will start a new post titled "A Combat Engineer".
I'd love to read it, but posting in chunks doesn't work for me, and maybe others. Best for me, don't mean to sound selfish, would be a PDF which I can stop and resume at any time. There must be sites that allow this. I'll do some research.

S.V. Airlie
06-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Yup, a pdf. Send those interested an email or have them send you theirs. Hey, it works. Some of the pdfs I get get pretty long. If you want my email, I'll pm you.

Jim Bow
06-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Rather than send individual emails, you could stick it in Google docs and make it a public file. One additional benefit would be that it would be searchable. Someone from outside WBF would be able to search for "combat engineer" and find your father's story.

S.V. Airlie
06-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Even better Jim!

rlmak
06-04-2016, 02:11 PM
OK, I did the google docs thing and created a new thread: A COMBAT ENGINEER, WWII. Hope it works.

rlmak
06-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Well, I thought I did. How long does it take for a new thread to show up?

Paul Pless
06-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Well, I thought I did. How long does it take for a new thread to show up?the moment you hit the 'submit new thread' button. . .

rlmak
06-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Ok, I'll try again. thanks.