PDA

View Full Version : "See the U.S.A. in your....Highlander???"

GregH
05-15-2016, 08:38 PM
SWMBO & I have seen more of Europe than we have of the U.S. So we've decided to turn our travels to our homeland. In particular, we're interested in Yellowstone National Park for a starter. The website indicates a number of packaged tours- lodging, meals, tours, etc. Has anyone here availed themselves of these tours? We'd like to go in the Fall - been told the crowds have subsided by then. Would appreciate any insights.

CWSmith
05-15-2016, 08:45 PM
I've not used the tours, but Jellystone is a terrific place. After a time, the paint pots start to look the same, but the wildlife never gets old. If you can't book a night at the Inn, at least visit it. The building is fascinating. There is also some great fly fishing inside and outside of the park.

Rich Jones
05-15-2016, 09:02 PM
We went about seven years ago and loved it. Didn't use a tour, though. Also saw Grand Teton National Park just to the south. Spent a few days in both places. How late in the Fall are they open? Winter comes real quickly there. We were there in late August and had frost a few mornings.

Nicholas Carey
05-16-2016, 12:01 AM
If you want to see Yellowstone, consider a winter visit. https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/visiting-yellowstone-in-winter.htm

Much different place. Less people! Snow! And...all the critters come down to the Geyser Basin, so you are much more likely to have interesting fauna experiences than you would in the summertime.

Nicholas Carey
05-16-2016, 12:04 AM
Another thing about Yellowstone in the summer. Never mind the people: your typical Yellowstone visitor is in the park for lass than 48 hours and doesn't venture more than a mile for the road. Pull a back country permit, get your pack on your back: get away from the teeming masses and you'll have a much more interesting visit.

I remember hiking in Yellowstone the summer after the Big Burn. Smelled what seemed to be some sort of large carnivore. Worried a bit. Grizzly maybe? Kept a sharp lookout.

15 minutes (!) later, we ran into 20 young women heading down -- the Missoula Hotshots -- they'd been up-country for 3 weeks or so fighting fires. A little...ripe. Looking forward to a hot shower and a beer, they were.

Ran into them a couple days later at Yellowstone Lodge. Bought some beers. My kind of hotties: pretty, smart women humping a hundred pounds of gear and fighting forest fires.

Canoeyawl
05-16-2016, 10:36 AM
Large carnivores indeed!

johnw
05-16-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm as big a fan of Sandy Douglas designs as you'll find, but I don't see how this is a viable cruise :)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OghBuLFkq5g/hqdefault.jpg

But Yellowstone is wonderful, and well worth the trip. I didn't use a tour, I suggest you use a travel book instead. And be sure to book a cabin well in advance.