PDA

View Full Version : Ancient viruses released from melting permafrost

Gerarddm
05-14-2016, 03:34 PM
No joke, actually:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elena-e-giorgi/ice-caps-melt-prehistoric_b_9805334.html

paulf
05-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Scary story here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26387276

We may not be able to fight off an infection.

It would be cool if we found one that just ate Cancer cells!

seanz
05-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Might explain why there were no more Giants after the last Ice-Age.

paulf
05-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Might explain why there were no more Giants after the last Ice-Age.

And Unicorns!

These large viruses only attack amoebas, but melting may release other interesting things that like humans.

paulf
05-14-2016, 05:35 PM
NEWS FLASH!

Mass planetary extinction started by advanced global climate change releasing virulent viral organisims ! Pictures at 11...perhaps not.

Breakaway
05-14-2016, 06:36 PM
This might be how the zombie apocalypse starts!

Kevin

WszystekPoTrochu
05-14-2016, 06:45 PM
Even if a virus would miraculously revive itself from permafrost, it will be thousands of years behind in evolutionary arms race.

oznabrag
05-14-2016, 07:02 PM
Even if a virus would miraculously revive itself from permafrost, it will be thousands of years behind in evolutionary arms race.

Not necessarily.

It may be that whatever it is that evolved to kill them has now been killed off, and they are once again viable.

Besides, I don't think you can kill a virus by freezing it. It's just a strand of chemicals.

Rigadog
05-16-2016, 08:09 AM
We should freeze Trump until after the elections.

Rigadog
05-16-2016, 08:12 AM
What I fear more than the viruses is the thought of all those frozen Mastodons coming back to life. I'm not sure we are ready given how Obama has gutted our military.

WszystekPoTrochu
05-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Not necessarily.

It may be that whatever it is that evolved to kill them has now been killed off, and they are once again viable.

Besides, I don't think you can kill a virus by freezing it. It's just a strand of chemicals.

Everything and everyone you have ever seen are just strands of chemicals, yet none of the living strands will survive permafrost conditions indefinitely, neither the semi-living strands that viruses are. Do keep in mind that permafrost is not sterile, not oxygen free and not really that cold either.
My former department had a storage allowing for keeping live viruses frozen for however long we wished, but the proper conditions to do that were at -78 celsius.

TomF
05-16-2016, 09:02 AM
What I fear more than the viruses is the thought of all those frozen Mastodons coming back to life. I'm not sure we are ready given how Obama has gutted our military.The American military's "gutted?" Really?

I was gonna make a quip about how gutting the military gave Obama lots of practice in eviscerating bloated white elephants, but the punchline was falling flat.

skuthorp
05-16-2016, 09:26 AM
I think the figure for publicly known US military participation in one theatre or another at present is 46.
I cannot find the source as I did not think it surprising when I read it and I cannot be bothered now.
Anyhow, I reckon that would be restricted.

bobbys
05-16-2016, 10:41 AM
Well don't eat the yellow snow ......

Rigadog
05-16-2016, 04:09 PM
If we raise military spending to 90% of revenue, we might stand a chance against whatever thaws out up there. But I'm sure the USA will want to apologize to the fallen Pleistocene animals for our role in their demise. When Trump is elected he will build a wall and we will at last be safe.

oznabrag
05-16-2016, 04:38 PM
The release of methane is likely more dangerous.