PDA

View Full Version : Nuking a potato

Syed
05-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Nuking a Potato (http://www.livestrong.com/article/525087-does-nuking-a-potato-kill-enzymes-or-nutrients/)

Food that has been cooked in a microwave, or "nuked," is not radioactive according to the American Cancer Society. Nuking a potato does not change its chemical structure; it simply heats up water molecules differently. However, potatoes do contain an enzyme, catalase, that is sensitive to and affected by heat. This enzyme is affected all methods of cooking, including the use of microwave ovens. You can be assured that microwaving a potato affects its nutrients no worse than dicing it up and cooking it in a pan. (http://www.livestrong.com/article/525087-does-nuking-a-potato-kill-enzymes-or-nutrients/)

(http://www.livestrong.com/article/525087-does-nuking-a-potato-kill-enzymes-or-nutrients/)

(http://www.livestrong.com/article/525087-does-nuking-a-potato-kill-enzymes-or-nutrients/)
What do you think or know about it?

CWSmith
05-12-2016, 08:27 AM
"Nuke" is slang and completely irrelevant.

A microwave is a detuned radar unit. It uses electromagnetic waves to create a resonance with water molecules.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
05-12-2016, 08:28 AM
The microwave is fast but I prefer the oven for a baked potato.
To me it tastes better.

CWSmith
05-12-2016, 08:34 AM
To me it tastes better.

I like the crisp skin that an oven gives it and the texture is different (better from the oven).

Paul Pless
05-12-2016, 08:43 AM
I like the crisp skin the ultimate in crispiness and flavor is small new potatoes roasted in goose fat

Keith Wilson
05-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Quite right. The microwave radiation is tuned to a particular resonant frequency of water molecules. If you expose something something to microwave radiation of that particular frequency, the water molecules in it start moving around, raising its temperature. That's why plates in a microwave oven don't get hot, no water in them, nor does food that contains only a small amount of water (cooking oil, for example). 'Nuking' food is just slang; a microwave oven has nothing to do with radioactivity.

Paul Pless
05-12-2016, 08:48 AM
Quite right. The microwave radiation is tuned to a particular resonant frequency of water molecules. If you expose something something to microwave radiation of that particular frequency, the water molecules in it start moving around, raising its temperature. That's why plates in a microwave oven don't get hot, no water in them, nor does food that contains only a small amount of water (cooking oil, for example). 'Nuking' food is just slang; a microwave oven has nothing to do with radioactivity.

I have a microwave that does heat the plate, sometimes quite a lot. Does that mean that there is something wrong with the microwave? poorly tuned? low quality?

TomF
05-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Some plates heat up in our microwave, others not. I've assumed there's something in the ceramic or glaze that's just close enough ...

The Gentleman Sawyer
05-12-2016, 08:58 AM
the ultimate in crispiness and flavor is small new potatoes roasted in goose fat

Paul, do you remember the rosin-baked potatoes Cracker Barrel used to sell?

Ken

Norman Bernstein
05-12-2016, 08:58 AM
I have a microwave that does heat the plate, sometimes quite a lot. Does that mean that there is something wrong with the microwave? poorly tuned? low quality?

I suspect it's just thermal conductivity from the food on the plate. Try nuking just a plate... I bet it doesn't heat up, at all.

Paul Pless
05-12-2016, 09:03 AM

Kenno but it sounds interesting

CWSmith
05-12-2016, 09:04 AM
the ultimate in crispiness and flavor is small new potatoes roasted in goose fat

Ken

You guys are killing me! The best I can look forward to today is a bagel sandwich.

Rich Jones
05-12-2016, 09:32 AM
To me it tastes better. Nuke the potato for two minutes, then bake in the oven. Cuts down on the oven time and you get the same oven baked flavor.

Too Little Time
05-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Some plates heat up in our microwave, others not. I've assumed there's something in the ceramic or glaze that's just close enough ...

There are a number of materials that are not microwave safe.

ron ll
05-12-2016, 09:44 AM

We have old plates that did not originally get hot in the microwave, now some of them are starting to. They go thru the dishwasher and have eventually developed small crazing which I suspect is retaining moisture. The ones that look the worst get the hottest in the microwave.

The Bigfella
05-12-2016, 09:49 AM
I suspect it's just thermal conductivity from the food on the plate. Try nuking just a plate... I bet it doesn't heat up, at all.

I was of the understanding that doing that wasn't good for the machine. Try in with a separate mug of water in there with the plate.

BrianW
05-12-2016, 10:02 AM
We bake our potatoes in the oven, coated in olive oil and sea salt, at 425. Crispy is the ticket!

Todd Bradshaw
05-12-2016, 10:30 AM
We microwave our baked potatoes inside "potato bags", which are these curious little quilted cloth bags made for that purpose. They look kind of like something that old ladies would make for a church rummage sale, but the potatoes come out looking a lot more normal than those which have been microwaved "naked".

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 10:55 AM
If just cooking for me, I use the micro wave, wrap my tater in a damp paper towel an in a few minutes I got a baked one. A little salt pepper and butter and Bobs your fat uncle.

bobbys
05-12-2016, 11:08 AM

I like to think of the micro wave as my own personal nuclear reactor machine and over cooked fish sticks as spent rods that have to be deposed with mayo..

I don't use the white lab coat anymore when doing this, a bit overkill..

Keith ,you can't be all facts and figures, loosen up a bit and play with Yer food..

bobbys
05-12-2016, 11:09 AM
We bake our potatoes in the oven, coated in olive oil and sea salt, at 425. Crispy is the ticket!

This post will make you a shoo inn for June's BROTM.

bobbys
05-12-2016, 11:12 AM
the ultimate in crispiness and flavor is small new potatoes roasted in goose fat.

What next, The proper wine to go along with this?

Paul Pless
05-12-2016, 11:13 AM

What next, The proper wine to go along with this?depends what you're serving with the potatoes :D

bobbys
05-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Nuke the potato for two minutes, then bake in the oven. Cuts down on the oven time and you get the same oven baked flavor.

My wife is not allowed to use the oven, in fact we have yellow tape around the kitchen, sometimes she can use the nuclear Reactor machine but we have a governer on it with 2 minutes max..

my Dad told me why cant Yer wife cook anything?.

I told him the way she looks... Who cares!

Jim Mahan
05-12-2016, 11:17 AM
I don't remember the details but I've read that the carbs in a potato break down somewhat after they've been cooked and allowed to sit for some time, like overnight in the fridge. Roast a potato, put it in the fridge, in the morning, dice it, fry it a little brown. Good for you and less glycemic than just eating it right after cooking. Try hashbrowns or home-fries fried in coconut oil, but be careful to not get the oil too hot, as it will burn. Coconut oil is way beneficial because it is a long chain molecule unlike other cooking oils, which means that it gets digested differently, affecting appetite, blood sugar, cravings and metabolism such that less fat gets laid up around your middle. Dietary fat doesn't cause body fat; low metabolism from being sedentary and high sugar, which includes finely processed carbs like cookies, and even whole foods high in fructose create body fat.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-12-2016, 11:18 AM

It is possible to buy plates specifically designed to heat up in a microwave, used to brown food, tin oxide glaze.

Breakaway
05-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Ok, science guys, please explain why a flourescent bulb placed in a microwave will not only illuminate, it will dance around like a dervish!

Kevin

Jim Mahan
05-12-2016, 11:20 AM
...loosen up a bit and play with yer food

. :d

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 11:21 AM
I would not be with out a microwave, I really like bacon done in the thing, baked potato or heat up a plate or bowl of any left overs that I may want to eat. Scrambled eggs yummo. I even do whole eggs in mine. Ya gotta poke a few holes in the yoke or you will be cleaning your micro wave for ever. :)

bobbys
05-12-2016, 11:21 AM
depends what you're serving with the potatoes :D

I went on Atkins So no taters morn, noon and night like I used to.

I'm in a 12 step potato program..

People like you are unaware of others addiction ..

How yam(pun) I going to make it through this day now after reading about Yer hoity toidy goose fat brag.

I will NOT stop at Macdonalds for their goose fat fried fries.

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 11:40 AM

I went on Atkins So no taters morn, noon and night like I used to.

I'm in a 12 step potato program..

People like you are unaware of others addiction ..

How yam(pun) I going to make it through this day now after reading about Yer hoity toidy goose fat brag.

I will NOT stop at Macdonalds for their goose fat fried fries. So now you hate your heart? That is a dangerous diet ya got goin. on.

Paul Pless
05-12-2016, 11:43 AM
How yam(pun) I going to make it through this day now after reading about Yer hoity toidy goose fat brag.pretty sure goose fat is atkins approved :D

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 11:52 AM
I bet Syed has learned more than he ever wanted to know on this thread.:):)

Breakaway
05-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Butta makes it betta.

Kevin

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 11:53 AM
We've been buying "Steamables" (http://www.sidedelights.com/our-potatoes/convenience-potatoes/steamables/) recently. Very convenient and delicious.

http://www.sidedelights.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/steamables-family.jpgYes they are, times they are a changing.

Syed
05-12-2016, 12:03 PM
I bet Syed has learned more than he ever wanted to know on this thread.:):)

|:)
Moreover, l am now the propreitor(as somebody said about BYOB/Glen) of a thread that is going into thirties.

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Moreover, l am now the propreitor(as somebody said about BYOB/Glen) of a thread that is going into thirties. The Nuke thread, by Syed.:) Way to go my friend.

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 01:06 PM
For all the anti nuke guys, it is a hundred +degrees out side the AC is crankin out all it has. So I set the oven to 400 and wait for it to heat up and then cook for an hour? I put my potato in the nuke thing and in 4 minutes have food.

Peerie Maa
05-12-2016, 01:21 PM
An excellent baked potato recipe, from a street vendor at the Brest IFOS as replicated by Der Management.

Part cook the spuds in the microwave until cutting a cross in the skin allows you to squeeze the sides and open the top. Cover with lardons of good ham or bacon and a good grated cheese. Put a big nob of garlic butter on each and bake in a regular oven until the cheese is melted.

BrianW
05-12-2016, 01:40 PM
For all the anti nuke guys, it is a hundred +degrees out side the AC is crankin out all it has. So I set the oven to 400 and wait for it to heat up and then cook for an hour? I put my potato in the nuke thing and in 4 minutes have food.

We simply never have that problem at my house. :)

BrianW
05-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Moreover, l am now the propreitor(as somebody said about BYOB/Glen) of a thread that is going into thirties.

Time to 'nuke' the thread then.

The 'fallout' threads will run twice as long.

:D

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 01:46 PM
Come on Brian, Syed does not want to be famous.:)

TomZ
05-12-2016, 01:48 PM

Time to break open the Grill.

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Home alone, I don't want to wait all day.

johnw
05-12-2016, 02:13 PM

I like to think of the micro wave as my own personal nuclear reactor machine and over cooked fish sticks as spent rods that have to be deposed with mayo..

I don't use the white lab coat anymore when doing this, a bit overkill..

Keith ,you can't be all facts and figures, loosen up a bit and play with Yer food..

Did the lab coat stop fitting when you got big and green?

Steve McMahon
05-12-2016, 02:17 PM
To get your potato to cook evenly in the radar range there is a little known trick: pierce the potato with a couple of 2 1/2" common nails in the form of an X crossing in the center of the spud. This will help distribute the energy within it.

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 02:21 PM
To get your potato to cook evenly in the radar range there is a little known trick: pierce the potato with a couple of 2 1/2" common nails in the form of an X crossing in the center of the spud. This will help distribute the energy within it. The radar range will do that, No metal in the micro wave.

Paul Pless
05-12-2016, 02:36 PM
It's not true, though. You can use metal, very selectively, in a microwave.My younger brother and I put a lightbulb in the microwave when we were young. An amazing plasma show ensued. My mom was not amused. . .

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 02:44 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--W_Z_A_Mb--/pallauulzowclennpopn.gif

It's not true, though. You can use metal, very selectively, in a microwave. Try it you will not be happy.

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 02:46 PM
My younger brother and I put a lightbulb in the microwave when we were young. An amazing plasma show ensued. My mom was not amused. . . I read a story bout a kid that put a kitten in one.

cathouse willy
05-12-2016, 03:36 PM
One of the many uses for the "nuker" is cooking corn on the cob. Cut off the stem but leave the husk on, three or four minutes on high will get you the best corn ever. None of the flavor is leeched out as in the boiling water method.

Peerie Maa
05-12-2016, 03:40 PM
I read a story bout a kid that put a kitten in one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_zpdyBz3VM

Jim Mahan
05-12-2016, 04:00 PM
None of the flavor is leeched out as in the boiling water method.

If you boil your corn on the cob until any flavor leeches out, you're doing it wrong. Get the water boiling, float the ears just long enough to start it getting hot, certainly no more than a minute. If it's fresh corn, from the stand down the road, it won't get any better.

Bobby of Tulsa
05-12-2016, 04:04 PM
If you boil your corn on the cob until any flavor leeches out, you're doing it wrong. Get the water boiling, float the ears just long enough to start it getting hot, certainly no more than a minute. If it's fresh corn, from the stand down the road, it won't get any better. Same with okra.

Hwyl
05-12-2016, 04:08 PM
What do you think or know about it?

I thought you were an electrical engineer.

John Meachen
05-12-2016, 04:31 PM
Don't try heating tinned potatoes in a microwave-gets very messy.

Jim Mahan
05-12-2016, 05:15 PM
That sounds like a good recipe for raw corn.

Boil the water.

Drop in the ears of corn (the water stops boiling instantly).

Turn off the heat and cover the pot.

Leave it for 4 minutes if you like it firm, or 6 if you like it soft.

I prefer the microwave method. You're steaming the corn instead of boiling it, and it's much more flavorful. Same with grilling it. Steam instead of boil.

I'll spend an ear trying the microwave technique.

As summer approaches, I'm also thinking of fresh peaches. As good as they are fresh (raw) they are heavenly blanched. Treat them like I described for the corn. They don't need to be cooked through, just the part right inside the skin, and then the skin will just slip off easily.

SMARTINSEN
05-12-2016, 08:15 PM
To get your potato to cook evenly in the radar range there is a little known trick: pierce the potato with a couple of 2 1/2" common nails in the form of an X crossing in the center of the spud. This will help distribute the energy within it.

My late sainted mother had a set of 20 penny aluminum spikes special just for baking potatoes. She was also an early adopter of the microwave oven, and I learned at an young age how to cook spuds. Fast forward a few years later, and we get a microwave oven as a wedding present. SWMBO, never having used one, tried to bake a potato, and sets it on HI for 20 minutes, microwave ovens cook much faster after all...

A recent Cooks Illustrated did a thing about how to bake the best potato. 375 in the oven yields just the right balance of crispy skin and fluffy insides. The old electric range up at the camp bakes really, really hot, and makes the best baked potatoes in this world.

Syed
05-12-2016, 09:18 PM
I thought you were an electrical engineer.

Gareth, you can see from the posts that this thread is only 2.7% about engineering.

Steve McMahon
05-12-2016, 10:50 PM

In case anyone didn't catch on.... I was joking! :D
Don't do this!

Harvey Golden
05-13-2016, 12:00 AM
Why say "goose fat" when you can say "schmaltz?"

LongJohn
05-13-2016, 12:47 AM
Baked potatoes are far better out of the oven. Where the nukrowave excels is in pre-cooking potatoes for frying.

Load enough spuds to feed the table and nuke 'em until they're sizzling and just soft. Cut into wedges or cubes and toss into a hot skillet. Season to taste and turn a few times until browned.

Perfect steak fries or hash browns in record time. Yum.

- John

Wooden Boat Fittings
05-13-2016, 05:22 AM
Butta makes it betta.

God, that was an ad here from I don't know how many decades ago.

But they spelled the words 'butter' and 'better'.... :D

By the way, the best roast potatoes are done in a real oven, and continually basted with lard.

Mike

Paul Pless
05-13-2016, 06:45 AM
Why say "goose fat" when you can say "schmaltz?"

from a guy that sometimes writes about wooden boats. . .

http://ruhlman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/schmaltz1.jpg

Bobby of Tulsa
05-13-2016, 07:05 AM
What a cool thread this Syed guy has goin on.

Syed
05-13-2016, 07:48 AM
Thank you Bobby. |:)

Bobby of Tulsa
05-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Thank you Bobby. |:)...:d....

Bobby of Tulsa
05-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Syed, have you nuked a potato yet? Did you decide that you would not use the nuke devise or what?

Syed
05-13-2016, 11:12 AM
Syed, have you nuked a potato yet? Did you decide that you would not use the nuke devise or what?
Bobby, I always nuke the potatoes. Recently decided to make potatoes my staple food therefore decided to do some research. I have heard that changing the eating habits is a good thing.

Bobby of Tulsa
05-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Bobby, I always nuke the potatoes. Recently decided to make potatoes my staple food therefore decided to do some research. I have heard that changing the eating habits is a good thing. That is true, live long and prosper my good friend. My friend Curtis is going in the same direction, something green as in salad every day. Good on both of you.

Paul Pless
05-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Recently decided to make potatoes my staple food therefore decided to do some research.

http://d2ffpqfzu9jhqg.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Belgiium-Frites1-1024x685.jpg

Peerie Maa
05-13-2016, 01:15 PM
God, that was an ad here from I don't know how many decades ago.

But they spelled the words 'butter' and 'better'.... :D

By the way, the best roast potatoes are done in a real oven, and continually basted with lard.

Mike
No, not lard, beef dripping or duck or goose fat.

Bobby of Tulsa
05-13-2016, 01:25 PM
No, not lard, beef dripping or duck or goose fat. We agree on that.:)

John of Phoenix
05-13-2016, 01:38 PM
No one else bakes them on the grill?

http://img.sndimg.com/food/image/upload/w_555,h_416,c_fit,fl_progressive,q_95/v1/img/recipes/32/72/63/picAsYEHo.jpg

Salt, pepper, garlic, oil/butter, wrap in foil, bake for 30-40 mins.

TomF
05-13-2016, 02:23 PM
We did, when we used to grill things. :(

Now every one of my kids is functionally vegetarian. 1 will only eat "happy meat" from the local growers; 1 will kinda do that, on protest. The third will eat fish, but no other animal.

They're right, of course, but it's cut our grillable-stuff down by a significant volume. When the charcoal grill needed replacing a year back, I didn't bother. Had set my heart on building a masonry smoker thing with a grill top, but it became clear that only Herself and I would eat the bounty, and that under the baleful and principled eyes of my ethical brats. :D

Somehow I can't find the enthusiasm to light a charcoal fire to blacken a couple of peppers or waggle some eggplant.

John of Phoenix
05-13-2016, 02:26 PM
Somehow I can't find the enthusiasm to light a charcoal fire to blacken a couple of peppers or waggle some eggplant.The joy of a gas grill.

Breakaway
05-13-2016, 02:43 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Steve McMahon http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=4886768#post4886768)

We knew this as part of," roasting Mickeys," which were potatoes, roasted by wrapping in foil and placing the spud directly in the flames of a fire we'd made. If you had a spike or nail, you impaled the potato for a better roast. Never heard of the crossing them thing.

This was the late 60's and the 70's. We kids didn't really have to roast scrounged or swiped potatoes in the street. We did it because our parents and grandparents, many of whom were immigrants, told us of their doing so as kids, during the depression. Then, we were simply copying our folks, but now I see that we were honoring them.

Kevin

Curtism
05-13-2016, 04:26 PM

http://img.sndimg.com/food/image/upload/w_555,h_416,c_fit,fl_progressive,q_95/v1/img/recipes/32/72/63/picAsYEHo.jpg

Salt, pepper, garlic, oil/butter, wrap in foil, bake for 30-40 mins.

These guys are slipping when it takes 80 posts before someone mentions grill baking them, geesh. Good job taking up the slack, John.

Unless I'm doing a roast or some cut that takes a while to grill, I'll nuke them for a couple minutes to get the inside cooking, then foil and butter and 20 minutes on the grille usually does the trick.

Then I read Tomf's pitiful post and I'm just sitting here weeping. I got to this part:

"When the charcoal grill needed replacing a year back, I didn't bother."

Well, I didn't know whether to push the button or send a copy to the Ministry of Meat and request an intervention, or both. You think you know somebody and they go and show such blatant disregard for the temple of the flame via a public admission such as this. I mean, I get the family pressure and that he lives in a climate where a charcoal grill is only useful a few weeks a year but, good heavens, man. Have you no fear of losing your man card privileges altogether?

:)

Wooden Boat Fittings
05-13-2016, 06:27 PM
No, not lard, beef dripping or duck or goose fat.

I'm sure your options are good. But lard is better (http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/cooking-with-lard-baking_n_5212804.html?section=australia#gallery/347017/7). :)

Long before the days of aluminium foil (late 40s/early 50s) we used to put them straight into the oven whole, or in the coals at the side of the fire, until cooked. If done in the oven you could cut the end off then scoop out the contents like a boiled egg. If done in the fire you peeled the charcoal layer away and put the meat into a bowl to eat. Either way, added butter and salt was all we used.

Paul Pless
05-13-2016, 07:32 PM
What?! You don't eat the crispy skin???

TomF
05-13-2016, 10:41 PM
... I mean, I get the family pressure and that he lives in a climate where a charcoal grill is only useful a few weeks a year but, good heavens, man. Have you no fear of losing your man card privileges altogether?

:)Scares me from time to time, but then I go to the gym. ;)

Curtism
05-14-2016, 04:10 AM
Ohhh, touche', Tom.

Paul Pless
06-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Recently decided to make potatoes my staple food. . .The Irish might serve you a warning on this subject.

Captain Intrepid
06-05-2016, 12:57 AM
New potatoes, the little ones about an inch across. Marinate them in freshly squeezed lemon juice, tons of minced garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Grill for about 40 minutes, tossing in a grill basket occasionally until they're done. You can also bake larger new potato wedges directly in the marinade, delicious.

chas
06-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Syed, all of the above ....posers! :d Where I'm from, we do potatoes! Food for thought. / Jim

http://www.peipotato.org/recipes/homegrown-recipes

Old Dryfoot
06-05-2016, 04:31 PM
Fast and stoopid simple.

Spuds, onions, carrots, chop `em up, salt & pepper, butter or olive oil, wrap in foil and grill or bake.

Paul Pless
06-05-2016, 04:37 PM
This thread is missing the attention of Joe Dupere, gone two years now. . .

Captain Intrepid
06-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Syed, all of the above ....posers! :d Where I'm from, we do potatoes! Food for thought. / Jim

Some of the bigger CG ships out east still have a potato room. :D

Syed
06-06-2016, 02:57 AM

...:D

Please tell us, why the term couch potato and not couch tomato?

Curtism
06-06-2016, 05:58 AM
Perhaps it's because potatoes have eyes and tomatoes don't?

I mean, what would you watch TV with?

:)