PDA

View Full Version : Hard Dodger: to glass or not to glass

sully75
05-01-2016, 11:07 AM
I just built a hard dodger/pilothouse for my (not wooden) sailboat. The top is laminated with 3 sheets of meranti and the walls are 1/2" meranti.

Currently I have everything tacked together with epoxy. I'm planning on making fat fillets on all the joints and glassing them with two layers of cloth inside and outside. I'll be cutting the windows after that.

I'm wondering if I need to cover the top with glass. My instinct is to do that, but not really sure what it would offer other than just sealing it with epoxy and painting it.

Any thoughts?

Hoping the photos show up here:
https://goo.gl/photos/1KTT3LPhvzBQNKsu8

David G
05-01-2016, 11:48 AM
How much crown did you put in the top? How much weight will you need it to carry - worst case? Etc.

sully75
05-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Hi David,

I didn't measure the crown, I just copied the doghouse camber (I did this all on the dock without any sort of workspace or battens).

I'd like to be able to stand on it. I actually did stand on the forward portion already, and it's pretty stiff, I can feel it flex as I move back and I stopped there. I'm going to add two verticle fiberglass tubes to either side of the companionway at the corner between the cabin bulkhead and doghouse. I also have 8" or so of the top laminate left over, and I'm going to laminate that to the rear edge to make it 1" or more thick (and as a rain drip and hand hold). + will glass in a beam above the cabin bulkhead edge. So I think it will be pretty stiff.

John B
05-01-2016, 05:29 PM
I think you should glass it.