Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Montgomery
    Lurking since 1997
    • Sep 1999

120 year-old Louisville Confederate monument to be removed from U of L campus

The War of the Rebellion is now officially over in Louisville, Kentucky.

“We don’t consider ourselves in Louisville to be part of the South” — Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer

Saying it no longer has a place in Louisville, Mayor Greg Fischer and University of Louisville President James Ramsey announced Friday morning that the 121-year-old Confederate monument on the Belknap campus is being removed.

The two gathered at the monument across from the Speed Art Museum on Third Street, joined by several city and university officials and U of L students.

"I recognize that some people say this monument should stay here because it is part of history, but I also appreciate that we can make our own history," Fischer said.

The decision came less than two weeks after Ricky L. Jones, professor and chair of Pan-African Studies at U of L, wrote a column in the Courier-Journal calling for the mayor and university to take the monument down.

"We don't consider ourselves in Louisville to be part of the South," Fischer said in an interview after the announcement.

Both Fischer and Ramsey’s offices said they had been working on moving it for several weeks.

Jones said that whatever motivated the decision, he is elated the monument will no longer be on campus. He said generations of U of L students, faculty and staff have opposed the statue's existence.

"Let's see the Confederacy for what it is, not some lost cause, it was a war about slavery," Jones said. "And that is fundamentally inhumane, so if that's a part of Kentucky history, place it in a part of Kentucky where people still have those beliefs."

The memorial’s statues will be held in storage until an appropriate location is selected, the mayor's office said. The monument will be disassembled, and the bronze figures and embellishments will be cleaned and repaired — something that has not been done since the monument was erected in 1895.

City officials said that the memorial will be replaced with a new lane that will improve access to the recently renovated Speed Art Museum and assist traffic flow.

"It is a part of history, but I get what people say they don't agree with it because it represents a time when African Americans were oppressed," said Reagan Roy, a senior at duPont Manual High School who plans to attend U of L. "I never looked twice at it, actually. Now that I know everything about it, I agree with it being removed."

The Confederate monument has been a point of contention on U of L's Belknap campus for at least the past two decades, prompting student protests on several occasions.

In 2002, Ramsey's administration renamed Confederate Hall — which sat across from the monument — as Unity Hall. Later that same year, the university's board of trustees unanimously approved a $2 million plan to rename the area surrounding the monument as Freedom Park, honoring Louisville civil rights leaders.

The monument, installed 30 years after the Civil War’s end, was donated by the Kentucky Women’s Confederate Monument Association. The CJ archives say Susan Preston Hepburn, a sister of a Confederate general, led a fundraising campaign in 1887 that raised about $20,000 to build the monument.

"I don't believe the women were making a political statement but were honoring those loved ones who died," Ramsey said. "As a result, it's time for us to move this monument to a more appropriate place."

The 70-foot-tall granite tower is adorned with three bronze statues of Confederate soldiers, along with a marker that reads it is dedicated to commemorate the "rank and file of the armies of the South" and to "our Confederate dead."

Kentucky was a slave state but never joined the Confederacy. But many Kentuckians fought for the South.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...atue/83695160/
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.
  • S.V. Airlie
    Ancient Mariner
    • Dec 2006

Re: 120 year-old Louisville Confederate monument to be removed from U of L campus

I'd much rather have a plaque a large one, giving the history, the reasons for its existence and why people want to see it moved. History needs to be corrected but, at the same time shouldn't be erased. Like the Lenin statue, most don't even know what it is muscles why it's there..

Obviously, it had a place at one time or it wouldn't have been erected. You can't just bury history and think it just goes away. Confederate flags, a different issue. This is one statue.
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 04-30-2016, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
      Banned
      • Apr 2007

Re: 120 year-old Louisville Confederate monument to be removed from U of L campus

Originally posted by S.V. Airlie
      I'd much rather have a plaque a large one, giving the history, the reasons for its existence and why people want to see it moved. History needs to be corrected but, at the same time shouldn't be erased. Like the Lenin statue, most don't even know what it is muscles why it's there..

Obviously, it had a place at one time or it wouldn't have been erected. You can't just bury history and think it just goes away. Confederate flags, a different issue. This is one statue.

How do you 'correct' history?

"I recognize that some people say this monument should stay here because it is part of history, but I also appreciate that we can make our own history," Fischer said.
      One cannot change the past so that one can have a sanitised PC history.

Otherwise it becomes 1984 and the Ministry of Truth (or Minitrue in Newspeak), which is responsible for propaganda and historical revisionism.

Removing such and other statues is akin to

If you wish to go down that path where does one stop?

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
        Lurking since 1997
        • Sep 1999

For decades after the Civil War one didn't stand a chance to win selected political office in Kentucky without having been either a confederate veteran or a confederate sympathizer.

Cave Hill Cemetery (a block north of me) has a section that is designated a National Cemetery where the Louisville Union dead are buried. The Louisville confederate dead are buried around the perimeter of the National Cemetery.
        "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
          Lurking since 1997
          • Sep 1999

Originally posted by Rum_Pirate}[COLOR=#333333
          How do you 'correct' history?[/COLOR]

One cannot change the past so that one can have a sanitised PC history.

Otherwise it becomes 1984 and the Ministry of Truth (or Minitrue in Newspeak), which is responsible for propaganda and historical revisionism.

Hyperbole.

Making our own history from now into the future is neither "correcting" nor changing the past. It is learning the lessons of the past and moving forward.

Put another way: No one is advocating burning all the history books.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
            Ancient Mariner
            • Dec 2006

History obviously can't be corrected unless you are Palin. I worded this wrong, it should be explained in a plaque, why, when, how, the consequences, the result. not have the monument taken down or removed. People should be aware!

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
              Banned
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Tom Montgomery
              Making our own history from now into the future is neither "correcting" nor changing the past. It is learning the lessons of the past and moving forward.

Put another way: No one is advocating burning all the history books.
              He is proposing making own history in trying to remove things that he thinks unpleasant and sanitising and making his history PC, in doing so he is "advocating burning all the history books" by destroying books/the statue.

As I asked "If you wish to go down that path where does one stop?"

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
                Lurking since 1997
                • Sep 1999

Originally posted by Rum_Pirate
                He is proposing making own history in trying to remove things that he thinks unpleasant and sanitising and making his history PC, in doing so he is "advocating burning all the history books" by destroying books/the statue.
                Nonsense.

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2007

History obviously can't be corrected unless you are Palin. I worded this wrong, it should be explained in a plaque, why, when, how, the consequences, the result. not have the monument taken down or removed. People should be aware!

I agree with you, except the bit about Palin.

I do not believe that she has that power.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                    Ancient Mariner
                    • Dec 2006

If you are referring to me I'm NOT at all. But, knowing your history at skewing what people say, I'm not surprised.

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
                      Lurking since 1997
                      • Sep 1999

From the Courier-Journal article:

The memorial’s statues will be held in storage until an appropriate location is selected, the mayor's office said. The monument will be disassembled, and the bronze figures and embellishments will be cleaned and repaired — something that has not been done since the monument was erected in 1895.
                      The statue is not being destroyed. It is being removed from its current location and will be placed somewhere else.

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Rum_Pirate

Originally posted by Tom Montgomery
                        Nonsense.

If you start removing/destroying statues etc, i.e. trying to sanitise and PC ones history, one becomes similar to the Taliban actions.
                        You start getting into the realms of the Ministry of Truth, see 1984.

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
                          Lurking since 1997
                          • Sep 1999

The statue is NOT going to be destroyed. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Read the article again.

Comment

• BrianW
                            not your average member
                            • Nov 2002

I worded this wrong, it should be explained in a plaque, why, when, how, the consequences, the result. not have the monument taken down or removed. People should be aware!
                            I agree with you Jamie. Deconstructing our history is the wrong path. Remember it, remember when we were wrong, remember to not repeat it.
                            “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
                              Lurking since 1997
                              • Sep 1999

You know what 99.9% of 21st century Louisvillians think when they see the Confederate monument?

They think, "What a horrible location! Right smack dab in the middle of traffic!"

The area around the monument has changed drastically over 120 years. The houses and trees pictured in the old postcard no longer exist. They have been replaced by the widening of the street. The area around the monument is now a large concrete thoroughfare with constant auto traffic.

Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 04-30-2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...