PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Attacks Trump for Living a “Lavish Lifestyle”

Rum_Pirate
04-29-2016, 08:13 AM
Clinton Attacks Trump for Living a “Lavish Lifestyle” But Take a Look at How Hillary Lives!
Ross Woods (http://hillarydaily.com/author/brandon/)
April 26, 2016

(http://hillarydaily.com/brandon/2016/04/26/clinton-attacks-trump-for-living-a-lavish-lifestyle-but-take-a-look-at-how-hillary-lives/?utm_source=fnot1&utm_medium=facebook#)TWEET

(http://hillarydaily.com/brandon/2016/04/26/clinton-attacks-trump-for-living-a-lavish-lifestyle-but-take-a-look-at-how-hillary-lives/?utm_source=fnot1&utm_medium=facebook#)

Hillary Clinton recently criticized Donald Trump for living a lavish lifestyle.
If that seems strange to you, it should.
Hillary Clinton is incredibly wealth. She owns at least three homes and two of them are mansions.
Hillary Clinton has made over $141 million in the last eight years. Clinton flies on charter jets and every time she delivers a speech, she gets paid over $200,000. That same person is calling out Trump for living a lifestyle that is too lavish.
On Monday, in Delaware, Hillary said that wealthy Donald Trump flies into a state, gives a speech and then returns to a life of luxury without caring about the citizens’ problems.
The funny thing about this is that Clinton does the same thing she accuses Trump of doing!
Clinton said the following about Trump:

Donald Trump says wages are too high in America and doesn’t support raising the minimum wage and I have said, ‘Come out of those towers named for yourself and actually talk and listen to people. At some point, if you want to be president of the United States, you have to get familiar with the United States, you have to spend time with Americans of all sorts and backgrounds in every part of our country.
Don’t just fly that big jet in and land it and go give a big speech and insult everybody you can think of and then get on the big jet and go back to your country club house in Florida or your penthouse in New York. I somehow don’t think that puts you in touch with what is going on.
Clinton has no right to make such a claim as she herself is clearly not “in touch” with the average American citizen.
Also, take a look at the apparently not so lavish living conditions that Clinton is in:
http://thefederalistpapers.integratedmarket.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Whitehaven-Clinton.png (http://thefederalistpapers.integratedmarket.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Whitehaven-Clinton.png)
http://thefederalistpapers.integratedmarket.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Chappqua2.png (http://thefederalistpapers.integratedmarket.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Chappqua2.png)
http://thefederalistpapers.integratedmarket.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/clinton-apartment.jpg (http://thefederalistpapers.integratedmarket.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/clinton-apartment.jpg)

It’s true that Donald Trump may be out of touch because he is wealthy, but it is hard to defend Hillary Clinton when she lives quite the lavish life herself.

Wilmington, Delaware (CNN)Hillary Clinton cast Donald Trump as out of touch with the United States while campaigning Monday in Delaware, arguing that the Republican front-runner flies into states, gives speeches and then returns to the lap of luxury without listening to voters' problems."Donald Trump says wages are too high in America and doesn't support raising the minimum wage and I have said, 'Come out of those towers named for yourself and actually talk and listen to people,'" Clinton said. "At some point, if you want to be president of the United States, you have to get familiar with the United States, you have to spend time with Americans of all sorts and backgrounds in every part of our country."
Clinton has started to turn her focus to the general election after a sizable win in the New York primary last week, not even mentioning Democratic rival Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders once during her event.
Casting Trump as out of touch is new and opens up Clinton -- who regularly travels via private jet and has multiple homes -- to criticism for her own lifestyle. She and husband Bill Clinton own sizable homes in Chappaqua, New York, and Washington, as well as a Manhattan apartment. They also use an apartment in Little Rock that is owned by Bill Clinton's presidential library.
But she didn't shy away from her criticism on Monday, mocking Trump -- who has cast himself as a populist champion -- for his lavish lifestyle.

"Don't just fly that big jet in and land it and go give a big speech and insult everybody you can think of and then get on the big jet and go back to your country club house in Florida or your penthouse in New York," Clinton said. "I somehow don't think that puts you in touch with what is going on."
Clinton concluded by saying she has "spent more than a year talking and listening to people and I can tell you, there is a lot of concern, people are having a hard time."
Trump regularly boasts about his wealth and owns multiple properties across the country, including an expansive home in Mar-A-Lago, Florida, and a reportedly $100 million penthouse in New York City.
Clinton, preparing for a fight against Trump in the general election, has tried a series of attacks against the boisterous businessman in recent weeks, casting him as a security risk because of his foreign policy views and ill-prepared and ill-suited for the job of president.
Trump has responded by depicting Clinton as low energy and only running for president to benefit herself. He has also given her the nickname "Crooked Hillary."
Clinton has defended her focus on Trump while still campaigning against Sanders, telling reporters in New York earlier this month that she can "walk and chew gum at the same time."

"I intend to do everything I can to be the nominee. I am clearly focused on that," Clinton said. "But at the same time, I want to start drawing the starkest distinctions, between what I know America stands for ... and what Donald Trump is standing for."
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/25/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump/

Norman Bernstein
04-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Clinton's criticism of Trump on the basis of a lavish lifestyle is indeed hypocritical.

However, buried in that, there is a valid point; Clinton's campaign has included a great deal of 'retail politics', with her spending a far larger amount of time talking personally to voters. Trump doesn't do that.... at all. It's pretty had to see how Trump has much of any personal knowledge or contact with people who don't fly huge jets and return to their mansions every night, whereas Hillary has participated in a lot more direct contact with voters, for more than just photo-ops and handshakes.

Whether this matters is subjective.... and like anything else, subject to bias.

Sky Blue
04-29-2016, 08:23 AM
it may be true that DJT is out of touch because he is wealthy

That's absurd. No one in the race, no one in politics today, really, is more "in touch." His unique and astonishingly successful campaign thus far is proof enough of that.

TomF
04-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Trump continues to be the poster kid for conspicuous consumption. I remember even in the 80s seeing tours of his homes, fawning over the gold plated taps in the bathrooms etc. It's not been too different when you hear him talk on the stump this year. Wasn't it "Super Tuesday" where his press conferences etc. were held in one of his Florida hotels, where literally everything was almost Rococo "glamour?"

His brand is based on being a "winner," and the way his effectiveness at "winning" is proven is by displaying his wealth. Displaying his wealth in ways that look obviously "wealthy" to folks who aren't wealthy themselves.

Clinton's rich too, no question. It's disingenuous to criticize Trump for being rich, when she is too. But it's valid to criticize Trump for using his wealth as a branding tool, as a billboard and proxy for supposed good judgment.

Rum_Pirate
04-29-2016, 08:30 AM
Trump continues to be the poster kid for conspicuous consumption. I remember even in the 80s seeing tours of his homes, fawning over the gold plated taps in the bathrooms etc. It's not been too different when you hear him talk on the stump this year. Wasn't it "Super Tuesday" where his press conferences etc. were held in one of his Florida hotels, where literally everything was almost Rococo "glamour?"

His brand is based on being a "winner," and the way his effectiveness at "winning" is proven is by displaying his wealth. Displaying his wealth in ways that look obviously "wealthy" to folks who aren't wealthy themselves.

Clinton's rich too, no question. It's disingenuous to criticize Trump for being rich, when she is too. But it's valid to criticize Trump for using his wealth as a branding tool, as a billboard and proxy for supposed good judgment.

I wonder how far a Presidential candidate would go if they based their brand on being a "loser". :confused:

CWSmith
04-29-2016, 08:38 AM
A swing and a miss.

The goal of many voters is to become wealthy. That dog won't hunt.

Canoeyawl
04-29-2016, 08:40 AM
http://i.makeagif.com/media/5-15-2015/z6t4C-.gif

TomF
04-29-2016, 08:44 AM
I wonder how far a Presidential candidate would go if they based their brand on being a "loser". :confused:Do you? :confused:

In exactly the same way, I wonder if there's a better option for building one's credibility as a leader. ;)

Rum_Pirate
04-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Do you? :confused:

In exactly the same way, I wonder if there's a better option for building one's credibility as a leader. ;)

In case you had not noticed, it was a rhetorical question. :ycool:

BTW As to your wondering, you don't say whether the better option to which you wish to refer is as a "winner" or as a "loser".

TomF
04-29-2016, 08:59 AM
BTW As to your wondering, you don't say whether the better option to which you wish to refer is as a "winner" or as a "loser".Depends what the guy's trying to win.

S.V. Airlie
04-29-2016, 09:02 AM
BUT,BUT, Trump spent a night at a Holiday Inn Express last night in Indiana!

George Jung
04-29-2016, 09:26 AM
'.... longest night of his life!'

Dave Wright
04-29-2016, 10:16 AM
She's wealthy, and it sticks in the craw of the man on the street. I'm not fond of it either. You have to find someway to reconcile it. Officers of charities, CEO's, trust fund kids, evangelical megachurch "ministers," they all have more than us and they seem to want even more. You can look at her (and her husband's) financial disclosure statement, it was in the LA Times:

http://documents.latimes.com/clinton-financial-disclosure-report/

If it helps, almost all of the money is held in a pretty uncomplicated vashion: between $5 and $25 million in cash at JP Morgan, and between $5 and $25 million in the Vanguard 500 index fund. Most of the income is from public speaking. She also got $5 million in royalties from her recent book.

What can be done? Mao had a solution, unfortunately in that scenario, everyone, not just the fat cats, were wading in mud and sh!t.

Norman Bernstein
04-29-2016, 10:23 AM
She's wealthy, and it sticks in the craw of the man on the street. I'm not fond of it either.

*shrugs* there's neither virtue, nor vice, in being wealthy... with the exception of how the person obtained the wealth. Relative to most Washington politicians, for example, Joe Biden is relatively poor; he'll unquestionably need his pension to live. However, that doesn't make him virtuous.... same story with Sanders, who is even 'poorer'. If wealth were a vice, then we'd have to be more condemnatory of Trump, than Clinton, by a long shot (assuming, of course, that Trump's wealth is what he says it is... I've read some sources which say that Trump is worth vastly less than he claims... and I bet he never releases his tax returns, for that reason).

Dave Wright
04-29-2016, 10:33 AM
*shrugs* there's neither virtue, nor vice, in being wealthy... with the exception of how the person obtained the wealth..

Completely agree, but you can bet this subject will be tossed around a lot until November, with much of the insinuation that Trump is more "worthy." The implication will be that Trump works harder and creates more jobs (totally ignoring the fact that he was given millions and a real estate business by his father), and also ignoring the fact thag the Clinton foundation is responsible for more charitable fund raising than Trump.

Norman Bernstein
04-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Completely agree, but you can bet this subject will be tossed around a lot until November, with much of the insinuation that Trump is more "worthy." The implication will be that Trump works harder and creates more jobs (totally ignoring the fact that he was given millions and a real estate business by his father), and also ignoring the fact thag the Clinton foundation is responsible for more charitable fund raising than Trump.

Certainly true... but those facts will be lost in the insanity of the general election campaign, unfortunately.

Too Little Time
04-29-2016, 11:11 AM
*shrugs* there's neither virtue, nor vice, in being wealthy... with the exception of how the person obtained the wealth.
I would hope that for a politician virtue lays in who they think deserves the government's assistance. I don't think either does well by that metric. Trump want to assist the 1%. Clinton wants to assist the 10%. And neither wants to do it with their assets.

I've read some sources which say that Trump is worth vastly less than he claims... and I bet he never releases his tax returns, for that reason).
Tax returns don't show wealth or assets. They show part of one's income and that is about all.

Dave Wright
04-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Clinton wants to assist the 10%.

I noticed this statement previously. Could you explain it for me please?

CWSmith
04-29-2016, 11:56 AM
She's wealthy, and it sticks in the craw of the man on the street. I'm not fond of it either.

Every GOP candidate since the start of the campaign season is wealthy by most standards.

Sanders is comfortable to well-off, but I'll guess not wealthy by the same measure.

S.V. Airlie
04-29-2016, 12:06 PM
I can think of only one president, either party who wasn't wealthy; Truman!

Dave Wright
04-29-2016, 12:22 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Too Little Time http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=4874163#post4874163)

Clinton wants to assist the 10%.

I noticed this statement previously. Could you explain it for me please?

OK, you must be busy. Everything I have read suggests Trump cuts taxes on the 1%, so yes he benefits them.

But Clinton's tax proposal raises taxes on mainly the upper 20% so I question why you say "Clinton wants to assist the 10%."

"Filers in the top income quintile would have an average tax increase of $4,527 (1.7
percent reduction in after-tax income). The tax increases would be concentrated among the
highest earners. Tax units between the 80th and 95th percentiles (with income between about
$143,000 and about $295,000) would have relatively modest tax increases (averaging no more
than 0.3 percent of after-tax income). Filers with income between $295,000 and $732,000
(highest 95 percent to 99 percent) would incur an average tax increase of about $2,700 (0.8
percent of after-tax income). Among the top 0.1 percent—filers with income greater than $3.8
million—the average tax increase would be nearly $520,000 (7.6 percent of after tax income)."

From: TAX POLICY CENTER | URBAN INSTITUTE & BROOKINGS INSTITUTION

S.V. Airlie
04-29-2016, 12:30 PM
It's not based on fact, reality, or by any supportive information. He won't answer your question. He can't.

B_B
04-29-2016, 02:54 PM
That's absurd. No one in the race, no one in politics today, really, is more "in touch." His unique and astonishingly successful campaign thus far is proof enough of that.
Well, its what he and his little hands are in touch with that are the crux of the matter.

... I remember even in the 80s seeing tours of his homes, fawning over the gold plated taps in the bathrooms etc. ...
You weren't paying attention - it was "solid gold plated"...

Dan McCosh
04-29-2016, 03:02 PM
I don't see her criticizing his lavish lifestyle--she said he is not in touch with average Americans. That hardly is the same thing. FWIW, Trump was paying $1,000 a day to dock his yacht, when said he could not pay his bills. That's a bit out of the experience of many Americans.

Breakaway
04-30-2016, 08:12 AM
Certainly, monetary wealth is not the only measure of a successful life. Indeed, one can be deemed, "successful" and be a pauper. But that doesn't mean that the opposite is true. If we are honest--IMHO-- we will include material wealth as one component of the matrix used to judge success in life.

Kevin

Rum_Pirate
04-30-2016, 08:43 AM
Certainly, monetary wealth is not the only measure of a successful life. Indeed, one can be deemed, "successful" and be a pauper. But that doesn't mean that the opposite is true. If we are honest--IMHO-- we will include material wealth as one component of the matrix used to judge success in life.

Kevin

+ 1

Somebody said "it was better to rich and happy, than poor and happy, it was better to rich and healthy, than poor and healthy, also that it was it was better to rich and unhealthy, than poor and unhealthy." :rolleyes:

and

"If you are happy with what you have then you are truly rich."

This story is inspiration to slow down, reassess, and get real about how to live life.

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.

Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna.

The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “Only a little while.

The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs.

The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”