PDA

View Full Version : Once again, my home town scores

Norman Bernstein
04-28-2016, 07:41 AM
According to homealarmreport.com, and based on a survey of the following:

Violent crime
Aggravated assault
Rape (both revised and legacy definitions)
Sex offenders in the area (both total number and as a percentage of the total population)
Average annual temperature
Average annual precipitation
Total number of parks

Sharon. Massachusetts, makes yet another Top 10 list. This time, the top ten safest places to let your kid play outside!

6th Place: Sharon, Massachusetts

Sharon has the distinct honor of making our list for all the right reasons, but still lost out on some of the criteria we’ve deemed as important. The town only has 4 parks for its more than 17,000 residents. It makes up for this by having a lower population density than most of our entries. At 24.2 square miles, kids here enjoy a lot more yard space than their New Jersey counterparts. Sharon also enjoys some of the lowest crime rates of any town on this list, making it one of the safest places for children and one of the best places for parents seeking some peace of mind.

I'm not sure that the criticism about having only 4 parks is fair, since we DO have a State park within the town borders, and vast amounts of land are conserved and/or owned by the Audubon Society.

BrianY
04-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Great!!! Let's all move there!!! I'm sure another 10 or 12 thousand residents will love living in that paradise with you. :p

Too Little Time
04-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Sharon also enjoys some of the lowest crime rates of any town on this list, making it one of the safest places for children and one of the best places for parents seeking some peace of mind.

I have lived in a number of places and have yet to have lived in one where one needed to worry about crime. Crime has to be above some threshold to important.

BrianW
04-28-2016, 02:22 PM
They left out a lot of cities...

Methodology Behind the List We began our list by identifying only cities with a population above 10,000 (if your city fell below 10,000, we’re sorry you were left off!). Next, we used the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report data from 2014 to gather data on violent crime, aggravated assaults and rape. We only looked at the types of crime that might impact children who play outside. Things such as robberies and burglaries were left out. The top 10 list came from the cities with populations above 10,000 people that also had a smaller number of reported crimes in the three focus areas. We then looked up the number of sex offenders registered in each city in the list of 10, and only identified the number of offenders who had committed crimes against or with children. We then used data from USA.com to identify the average annual temperature and average annual precipitation numbers for each of the cities on our list. Finally, for each city, we identified the total number of parks, ignoring certain parks that weren’t designed for playing and exploring by children or families (such as nature sanctuaries). Now, we know what you’re thinking regarding parks. “Why not the total park space?” Surprisingly, most cities don’t identify the actual size of their park space. Some did. Most did not. The total number of parks was the most reliable number use for our purposes.

S.V. Airlie
04-28-2016, 02:24 PM
Well, My town has all you've mentioned although the weather can be iffy, do we get an honorable mention at least?

Paul Pless
04-28-2016, 02:32 PM
homealarmreport.com?!

That's just awesome Norm. Congratulations!!!

Norman Bernstein
04-28-2016, 02:44 PM
homealarmreport.com?!

That's just awesome Norm. Congratulations!!!

OK, no need to be so sarcastic :)

Admittedly, I AM rather proud of our little town.... and we DID rank #1, and #2, on Money Magazine's 'Best Places to Live' list, in the past two years... which I freely admit, is a great deal more prestigious than homealarmreport.com.

Not that the town doesn't have a few problems, here and there. Local politics, like most other small towns, is pretty fierce, with lots of infighting among various interest groups; the Friends of the Library want a new building, but the Sharon Civil Defense wants a new facility... and wants it first... stuff like that. The soccer moms want improvements to the soccer fields, but the youth baseball league wants more fields, first... and on it goes.

Still, it's a pretty terrific little town. Outstanding schools (nearly always in the top 5 school districts in the state, with nearly every HS graduate going to college), truly abundant conservation land and forests, a state park within our borders, a secure series of wells with top quality water, and so on. Lots of citizen participation in town affairs. A large lake right in the center of town, with boating, fishing, and swimming.

All this doesn't come cheap, of course. Largely because of the schools, real estate prices are quite high, and property taxes are also on the high side (although school expenditures, despite very high academic achievement, are lower than the median, in the state). We're experiencing a huge influx of Chinese and Asian immigrants, probably because of the schools... which is NOT any sort of problem, but it does change the town a bit. For example, it looks like high school football will end next year, because the Asian kids don't want to do athletics (I'm told there's parental pressure to eschew anything which isn't academic in nature).

No place remains the same forever, I guess.

Too Little Time
04-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Admittedly, I AM rather proud of our little town.... and we DID rank #1, and #2, on Money Magazine's 'Best Places to Live' list, in the past two years... which I freely admit, is a great deal more prestigious than homealarmreport.com.
Some people are so vain.

Most places people live should be on a 'Best Places to Live" list. I live in a great town. I have a job. I live with my wife. I am near one of my kids. I have phone service so I can talk to my other kid.

What else is there? (rhetorical)

CWSmith
04-28-2016, 06:16 PM
If it makes you feel any better, my home town of Baltimore isn't getting great press.

There is the police shooting a 13-year old:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/28/us/baltimore-13-year-old-shot/

And some nut in an animal suit and fake bomb on his chest:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/baltimore-tv-station-evacuated-after-man-in-lobby-claims-to-have-bomb/

I never hear about the library getting in some new books.

genglandoh
04-28-2016, 06:43 PM
If you look at city data for Sharon MA you will find.
1. Majority white 86.1%
2. Average income twice the states average at $125K

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sharon-Massachusetts.html

Dan McCosh
04-28-2016, 06:53 PM
You are looking at data from a burglar alarm company?

Bob Adams
04-29-2016, 05:33 AM
Must be nice to be nice able to afford to live in a nice town.

Hunky Dory
04-29-2016, 05:48 AM
Yea but, I am 3 miles from Cape Cod Bay to the north and three miles from Nantucket sound to the So. Priceless

Jim Mahan
04-29-2016, 07:24 AM
When all those perfectly safe kids going to all those perfectly safe schools go away to college, they won't have built up any natural immunity to the harshness in modern life, and they will be eaten by upper classmen early in the first semester. Then what are you going to tell those selfish bastards that just had to sacrifice their beloved offspring just to get a nice park and a lake in town? "Hello Mrs. Smith? Bill won't be home for spring break as we had hoped; he's been eaten. It's your fault you know, he was weak. I see you live in Sharon. Little sucker never had a chance."

Dan McCosh
04-29-2016, 07:28 AM
Life is good without poor people around.

Dan McCosh
04-29-2016, 07:42 AM
Here's the wiki account of the town down the street:

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 80 people, 40 households, and 24 families residing in the township. The population density was 511.5 per square mile (193.1/km˛). There were 42 housing units at an average density of 268.6/sq mi (101.4/km˛). The racial makeup of the township was 88.75% White, 1.25% African American, 2.50% Native American and 7.50% Asian.

There were 40 households out of which 10.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.0% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.0% were non-families. 32.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.00 and the average family size was 2.54.

In the township the population was spread out with 6.3% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 12.5% from 25 to 44, 36.3% from 45 to 64, and 38.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 60 years. For every 100 females there were 81.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.4 males.

The median income for a household in the township was $97,278, and the median income for a family was $117,025. Males had a median income of $100,000 versus $100,000 for females. The per capita income for the township was $64,812. There were no families and 3.8% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 8.7% of those over 64.

It has been on rough times in recent years, since it's primary householder gave the house away to a foundation. The former resident's income put the median family income up to about $2 million or so. Of course, they didn't need schools, as no one had ever gone to a public school.

Todd D
04-29-2016, 08:05 AM
I am envious Norman. Our crime numbers are pretty high - I heard someone got a speeding ticket last week. That is a rare event though since we don't have a police department (a county sherrif's deputy passed through town and gave the ticket). On top of that we only have one park in town. Actually only part of the park is in town limits. It is Acadia National Park. It is also tough having to look at the ocean whenever you go anywhere - all the roads to and from town have seaside segments. We are also plagued by wildlife in town. This morning I was awakened by wild turkeys in the yard and there were deer on the other side of the house. The density is pretty high too. This time of year I can actually see the neighbor's house. When the trees finish leafing out it will disappear though. It is tough living here.

Jim Mahan
04-29-2016, 08:12 AM
What's the trick-or-treating like there, Todd?

:)

Norman Bernstein
04-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Yes, the town is comparatively wealthy, and yes, it's largely white... although it seems a bit absurd to be blaming white people for being white.

However, to be completely fair, Sharon pales in comparison to a number of towns in Eastern MA who are considerably more wealthy... and considerably MORE white... towns like Weston and Dover, with a dense population of very highly paid CEOs and executives... and THOSE towns didn't make it to any of the top 10 lists.

The demographic numbers might be deceiving, though.... since the recent influx of Chinese, Pakistani, and Indian residents... as well as Muslims... might not be reflected in surveys that aren't up to date. In the past year alone, four houses adjacent to mine have turned over; three are now owned by Chinese residents, and one is Pakistani. Within my own neighborhood, there are many more Chinese, as well as Muslim... the latter, undoubtedly because of the location of New England's largest Mosque and Muslim School, located less than a mile away.

At one time, Sharon was probably majority Jewish. Even today, there are no less than seven congregations in town, including several Orthodox and ultra-conservative... so the 86% white number doesn't really reflect the actual diversity of the town, which is quite broad.

Todd D
04-29-2016, 09:36 AM
What's the trick-or-treating like there, Todd?

:)

There is none, but I do live on a one lane private road with no street lights. There are only houses on one side of the road since the other side is the national park. On an average day four cars pass my house, so traffic can be an issue.

Gill
04-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Sounds like a great place to settle a couple thousand Middle Eastern refugees.

Norman Bernstein
04-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Sounds like a great place to settle a couple thousand Middle Eastern refugees.

...and we welcome them. Diversity is a good thing.

Sky Blue
04-29-2016, 10:22 AM
...and we welcome them.

Ooh, a little virtue signaling this morning! Love it!.

I wonder how long it would take to score a dime bag in Sharon.

Norman Bernstein
04-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Ooh, a little virtue signaling this morning! Love it!.

Your vice-signalling is getting pretty tiresome.

I wonder how long it would take to score a dime bag in Sharon.

Like pretty much ANY town, there is probably some drug activity going on... but it's obviously very little.

Paul Pless
04-29-2016, 10:29 AM
Like pretty much ANY town, there is probably some drug activity going on... but it's obviously very little.au contraire, its just not conspicuous. . .

Sky Blue
04-29-2016, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry, Norman, but I've grown weary of such easy virtue pronouncements from progressives.

Have you done anything, anything at all, to aid in the settlement of ME refugees in the greater Sharon area? Demanded such from political representatives? Donated to refugee organizations seeking the same? Anything? Who is this "we" you purport to speak on behalf of?

Norman Bernstein
04-29-2016, 11:02 AM
I'm sorry, Norman, but I've grown weary of such easy virtue pronouncements from progressives.

No sicker and weary than me, of your ridiculous attempt to portray progressive attitudes and beliefs as always insincere... as if there was some sort of virtue in being mean-spirited.

Have you done anything, anything at all, to aid in the settlement of ME refugees in the greater Sharon area? Demanded such from political representatives? Donated to refugee organizations seeking the same? Anything? Who is this "we" you purport to speak on behalf of?

I vote for people who share my values. I donate to refugee organizations. If there was anything else I could do, I would.

bobbys
04-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Some of our forum members live in economic gated communities sheltered from the poor, minorities and trailer folks.

Course cannot blame anyone for wanting to live like rich old white folks but when then get on a soapbox and tell others how " tolerant" they are it rings a bit shallow.

Wonder what ones perspective. Would be if they lived in Passaic or Paterson or Newark and had to walk around at night or the wife and kids had to..

I will tell youse, some minorities would wait for you beat you to a pulp and rob you..

Some ethnic groups make a pack, never sell to a black family..

This is why when you read about these towns with 0 .oo blacks..

Very racist..
To get rid of their guilt they jump on any soapbox and plead the case for racism.

Gill
04-29-2016, 12:04 PM
If there was anything else I could do, I would.

It sounds like your town has plenty of excess land on which to build housing for refugees. As a local elder, you are a natural to spearhead this effort. I await reports of your progress.

S.V. Airlie
04-29-2016, 12:10 PM
Your vice-signalling is getting pretty tiresome.

Like pretty much ANY town, there is probably some drug activity going on... but it's obviously very little.Hey, in my town, I have found baggies, grass, thrown out of cars on my driveway. I feel like putting up a sign at the end of my driveway thanking someone for the donations.

Norman Bernstein
04-29-2016, 12:12 PM
It sounds like your town has plenty of excess land on which to build housing for refugees.

Yeah, it's just that easy.... right?

If only.

Much of the undeveloped land in Sharon is conservation land, a state park, or Audubon land.. which, by covenant, cannot be developed. Of the remainder, it's privately held.

So, what would you advocate? Eminent domain taking? Is that fair to the landowners, whose property is valuable? And if it WAS taken by eminent domain, where would the money come from, to pay compensation to those landowners?

We DO have low income housing, in Sharon... there's actually a Sharon Housing Authority, and at least some of those units are occupied by immigrants. Any single town can accept refugees... but there are limits to what any town can do, based on the available resources. The solution to accepting refugees is NOT the presumption that any one town should take a massive economic hit to do so... but that every town could do what it CAN..... and each town has it's limits.

Of course, the vice-signallers wouldn't care to think that rationally.

Daniel Noyes
04-29-2016, 12:21 PM
According to homealarmreport.com, and based on a survey of the following:

Violent crime
Aggravated assault
Rape (both revised and legacy definitions)
Sex offenders in the area (both total number and as a percentage of the total population)
Average annual temperature
Average annual precipitation
Total number of parks

Sharon. Massachusetts, makes yet another Top 10 list. This time, the top ten safest places to let your kid play outside!

I'm not sure that the criticism about having only 4 parks is fair, since we DO have a State park within the town borders, and vast amounts of land are conserved and/or owned by the Audubon Society.

I wonder how they picked towns to consider for the list? I'm sure you could subistute the names of hundreds of Newengland Towns, established between 1630 and 1776, and populated largely by the first settlers of said town...

Congrats to Sharon!

Norman Bernstein
04-29-2016, 12:41 PM
I wonder how they picked towns to consider for the list? I'm sure you could subistute the names of hundreds of Newengland Towns, established between 1630 and 1776, and populated largely by the first settlers of said town...

Congrats to Sharon!

There are plenty of really nice, and incredibly charming, towns in New England. One of the reasons I adopted Massachusetts as my home was precisely for that reason: I've been around the country on business trips and vacations, and it seems to me, from what I've seen, that New England has a far higher density of towns that have actual charm. Sure, there are charming towns in other places.... but you can drive east to west through Massachusetts, and see (for the most part) charming small communities with a sense of history, and a great deal of preservation of it, as well. The same can be said of the rest of the New England states. The 18,000 or so residents of Sharon do constitute a community where neighbors know one another, there's a great deal of citizen participation in civic affairs, and one gets a sense of peace and security here.

I don't mean to disparage any other places, where the same virtues can be found... I'm just proud of my own.

TomZ
04-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Hmm, I used to think I lived in a fairly quiet town. A local seargent (awsome police dept) clued me in, it ain't so. I apparently live in 'the nice section'. We actually had two rival gangs move into the lower portion of town over the winter, expectations are pretty low.

I mentioned that sometimes I heard what could be taken for gunfire once in a while, he assured me that it probobly was, trouble overflows from 'Woonsocket', drug deals, overdoses...

So I don't think you'll be seeing my town on that list anytime soon.

Norman Bernstein
04-29-2016, 12:59 PM
Hmm, I used to think I lived in a fairly quiet town. A local seargent (awsome police dept) clued me in, it ain't so. I apparently live in 'the nice section'. We actually had two rival gangs move into the lower portion of town over the winter, expectations are pretty low.

I mentioned that sometimes I heard what could be taken for gunfire once in a while, he assured me that it probobly was, trouble overflows from 'Woonsocket', drug deals, overdoses...

So I don't think you'll be seeing my town on that list anytime soon.

There ARE incidents in Sharon, Tom, that never bubble to the surface. Quite a few things are handled quietly by police, because in a town like this, everybody tends to know everyone else's business... so the cops prefer to avoid talking about some events.

The only reason *I* know about them: SWMBO, who, as manager of the local community TV station, is both resolutely neutral regarding controversial issues (she HAS to be), but also clued in to much of what goes on beneath the surface (because cops and politicans know they can trust her to keep things confidential... except to ME, of course).

I'm sure that there is NO town in the entire country who doesn't have at least SOME stuff going on that is less than complimentary to the town. Thankfully, in this town, it's kept to a minimum.

As for Bellingham, I always thought it was every bit as nice as Sharon, Tom :)