PDA

View Full Version : A very sad story

cathouse willy
04-26-2016, 06:20 PM
A couple from Alberta has been found guilty after being charged with failing to provide the necessaries for life after their 19 month old son died from meningitis.They treated him with "natural remedies",read snake oil. what a horrible lesson to learn. A link to the story from CBC.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/meningitis-trial-verdict-1.3552941
So very sad.

Jim Bow
04-26-2016, 06:25 PM
Weve got a young lady down here who is near death at age 20. She was born with an easily repairable heart defect that her parents decided to cure with prayer.

S.V. Airlie
04-26-2016, 06:26 PM
It IS sad. It's amazing how much faith people have in herbal remedies. This family is not alone by any means though. Also, how many put their faith in God over what they would think meds which are designed/created by God if one thinks about it. God gave the means to create them anyway.

CWSmith
04-26-2016, 06:39 PM
Idiots. I have firm belief in the right to practice one's religion freely, but they are hopeless idiots!

seanz
04-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Idiots. I have firm belief in the right to practice one's religion freely, but they are hopeless idiots!

That's the thing, they were practicing their religion, but the child couldn't consent to having religion practiced on it.

Durnik
04-26-2016, 07:09 PM
...but the child couldn't consent to having religion practiced on it.

in a nut shell..

bobby

CWSmith
04-26-2016, 07:34 PM
That's the thing, they were practicing their religion, but the child couldn't consent to having religion practiced on it.

Parental rights are still hard to break when your parents are idiots.

What's the expression? "You can't fix stupid."

elf
04-26-2016, 08:23 PM
God's will, guys. God's will that the parents be gullible bible belters. God's will that they mulitply. God's will that some of them aren't able to thrive.

Let it be. It's no different from letting an alcoholic or smoker practice their habit 'til it does them in.

cathouse willy
04-26-2016, 09:15 PM
There is a big difference. A smoker or drinker harms themselves where the victim here is a young child who depended on his parents for his care and well being.How do you punish these people? It came out during the trial that they truly loved their son but didn't properly care for him opting for quackery instead of medicine.This will haunt them to their graves I'm sure.

elf
04-26-2016, 10:49 PM
I doubt that. You have to believe that you should have behaved differently for some error to "haunt" you for the rest of your life.

As long as they believe that the child's death was God's will, they will not be haunted.

For centuries people have produced huge numbers of children only to watch them die before they reached the age of 5. History is replete with stories of great people who had 20 children of which only 8 or 9 survived. It was God's will. The loss haunted a few of them, but not most. They were too busy just surviving and caring for the ones that did make it.

Our modern society has difficulty with people who still live in the medieval era, especially when those people are right here in our "advanced" civilization. But we should not confuse our difficulty with that of people like that couple.

paulf
04-26-2016, 10:59 PM
It's like going into battle and have someone tell you that God is on your side..BS!

Captain Intrepid
04-26-2016, 11:12 PM
Just wanted to point out that this actually had nothing to do with religion. Belief in alternatives to medicine though, is on the same level as religious belief.

This story just breaks my heart.

bobbys
04-26-2016, 11:18 PM
God's will, guys. God's will that the parents be gullible bible belters. God's will that they mulitply. God's will that some of them aren't able to thrive.

Let it be. It's no different from letting an alcoholic or smoker practice their habit 'til it does them in.
I don't know if any main stream Christian religion that advocates not useing Medicine.

Nice try though lumping the whole Bible Belt..

Captain Intrepid
04-26-2016, 11:38 PM
I don't know if any main stream Christian religion that advocates not useing Medicine.

Christian Science and Jehovas Witnesses are two off the top of my head. Of course, my church has no problem with medical care. Anglicanism for the win!

Iceboy
04-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Happenned here as well. Both parents spent jail time. They should have spent much longer.

TomF
04-27-2016, 08:24 AM

Let it be. It's no different from letting an alcoholic or smoker practice their habit 'til it does them in.It's God's will that people have exercised their brains and developed medical treatments to medical problems too.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-27-2016, 08:32 AM
Darwin awards all round.

Garret
04-27-2016, 08:42 AM
Christian Science and Jehovas Witnesses are two off the top of my head. Of course, my church has no problem with medical care. Anglicanism for the win!

I know a couple (Jehovah's Witness) who's church refused to allow their son antibiotics. She finally ran away with him & took him to a hospital where he got them - but it was too late. To describe her as haunted is an understatement. Her now ex still describes it as "God's will" & feels no remorse whatsoever.

elf
04-27-2016, 08:47 AM
It's God's will that people have exercised their brains and developed medical treatments to medical problems too.
If you believe in God, that's true, but that's not their understanding of their God.

Darwin is working here, if not God. Let it be.

Gerarddm
04-27-2016, 10:43 AM
Steve Jobs tried to treat his cancer naturally, too, and near the end said he was sorry, for the sake of his family, that he didn't try mainstream medicine earlier, that he might have survived.

TomF
04-27-2016, 11:24 AM
There's a lot to be said for building one's immune system, for developing resilience, for reducing stress. There's a lot to be said for even quite rigorous diet and exercise changes, prompting specific responses in the body's various systems - and influencing the populations of beneficial flora and fauna that cohabit in what you inaccurately call "your" body.

That said, if you get meningitis, you really want antibiotics. If you get torn apart in a car crash, the ambulance should take you ASAP to a good trauma centre, not an acupressure and herbalism practitioner. Which is not to say that as you're recovering from that massive event, it wouldn't be a very fine idea to follow up with the other kinds of therapy.

B_B
04-27-2016, 12:35 PM
...That said, if you get meningitis, you really want antibiotics...
IIRC, at some point they believed the kid may have had viral meningitis in which case antibiotics wouldn't have been very effective - they got this diagnoses from info on the internet - a resource available to most MD's who are too obtuse to use the new-fangled interwebs and rely on cerebrospinal taps to tell the difference between viral and bacterial meningeal infection.

TomF
04-27-2016, 12:45 PM
I'd missed that. Yeah, if viral meningitis, then likely the antibiotics would have been worse than useless. But the larger point about using aggressive medical interventions to address aggressive traumatic conditions stands.