PDA

View Full Version : Forum FAQ - Photo quota, how to change

pbeautement
04-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Hi, Is there a thread for asking questions about the Forum admin? Can't seem to see one ...

I'm trying to post a photo in response to a post, am keeping it less than 500 pixels wide ...
it starts uploading, then gives a red exclamation mark and says I've exceeded my quota ... how do I get it increased please?

I know I can just put a url ... ;-)

Thanks, patrick

Hwyl
04-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Are you unchecking the little box? This site does not host photos, ,you have to use a photo hosting site.

The Bigfella
04-21-2016, 10:14 AM
Take a look at this thread

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?121390-Thorne-s-new-and-improved-quot-how-to-post-photos-quot-instructions&highlight=thorne

We use external hosting sits like Smugmug or Photobucket or Flickr

Facebook doesn't work too well, as some folks aren't members there, so they don't get those photos

https://brontebloke.smugmug.com/Randoms/i-2Bw8hVq/0/O/hallphoto.jpg

Three clicks got that photo posted

pbeautement
04-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Ah! I see ... thank you so much for the prompt reply!

NoEyeDeer
04-21-2016, 04:46 PM
Are you unchecking the little box? This site does not host photos, ,you have to use a photo hosting site.
In that case it would be sensible to change the attachments options so that the blurb tells people this. At the moment its claims that just about all images are allowed, which is daft if none are allowed.

Hwyl
04-25-2016, 11:19 AM
In that case it would be sensible to change the attachments options so that the blurb tells people this. At the moment its claims that just about all images are allowed, which is daft if none are allowed.

I'm just the messenger

Ian McColgin
04-25-2016, 11:30 AM
"At the moment its claims that just about all images are allowed, which is daft if none are allowed." [#5]

Since I did not look last Thursday, I have no idea if this was true at the time. But it's not the case now. Thorne's method is fully detailed in the FAQ.

NoEyeDeer
04-25-2016, 04:34 PM
You're missing the point. Thorne's method has nothing to do with vB's attachments interface. The text I was talking about does. Basically, if nobody is going to be using the attachment interface then it's superfluous, and only serves to confuse new bods.

Ian McColgin
04-25-2016, 05:55 PM
You have a point, NoEyeDeer. If a person can't make one way work and won't read further to try the other, then the mention of that first way is a bit of a barrier.

NoEyeDeer
04-25-2016, 05:59 PM
All righty then. So the smart move would be to replace the attachments stuff with a nice little link that says "Herein be the Gospel According to Thorne. Readeth this and ye shall be enlightened."

Or words to that effect. ;)

Ian McColgin
04-25-2016, 06:18 PM
No need for a link. Thorne's method is right there word for word in the FAQ.

NoEyeDeer
04-26-2016, 12:32 AM
You expect newbies to read the FAQ? In my experience, they avoid FAQ's like the plague even if they can find them.

Ian McColgin
04-26-2016, 07:33 AM
The OP read or at least referred to the FAQ.

There are no dumb questions. There are pseudo questions that are really trolls but there are no dumb questions. Some folk diligently search a Forum, including FAQ, to understand what the community is before opening up. Others just wander out of the channel and here they are. Room for all.

Thorne
05-02-2016, 07:06 PM
"Herein be the Gospel According to Thorne. Readeth this and ye shall be enlightened."

I'll have to try that line at the next 17th C reenactment -- has a nice Army of Parliament ring to it. Here I'm leading two files of Puritan musketeers off to a woods skirmish a few years ago...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3857/18622486853_a6a730dc52_k.jpg