• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norman Bernstein
    Liberaltarian
    • Nov 2004

Sarah Palin: “Bill Nye is as much as scientist as I am.”

I couldn't help breaking out in laughter at this one

Former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential hopeful Sarah Palin argued Thursday that Bill Nye is not actually a scientist.“Bill Nye is as much as scientist as I am,” Palin said at an event in Washington, D.C., according to The Hill. “He’s a kids’ show actor; he’s not a scientist.”

Palin specifically targeted Nye for his statements on global warming, saying he and others who tout the science that says humans are contributing to changes in the Earth’s climate are fueling “alarmism.”

Palin’s criticism came after a showing of a new anti-climate change documentary called “Climate Hustle,” which features a clip of producer Marc Morano interviewing Nye, who regularly speaks out about the negative effects of global warming.

“We’ve been told by fearmongers that global warming is due to man’s activities, and this [film] presents strong arguments against that in a very relatable way,” Palin toldVariety in an interview published Monday.

Palin has a long history of denying that humanscontribute to climate change.
    Hmmm... let's see.... is Sarah as much of a scientist as Bill Nye?

In the early 2000s, Nye assisted in the development of a small sundial that was included in the Mars Exploration Rover missions.[2] Known as MarsDial, it included small colored panels to provide a basis for color calibration in addition to helping keep track of time.[32] From 2005 to 2010, Nye was the vice president of The Planetary Society, an organization that advocates space science research and the exploration of other planets, particularly Mars.[33] He became the organization's second Executive Director in September 2010 when Louis Friedmanstepped down.[34][35]

Nye holds several United States patents,[39] including one for ballet pointe shoes[33] and another for an educational magnifying glass created by filling a clear plastic bag with water.[40][41] From 2001 to 2006, Nye served as Frank H. T. Rhodes Class of '56 University Professor at Cornell University.[11][42] Nye supported the 2006 reclassification of Pluto from planet to dwarf planet by the International Astronomical Union.[43]

Nye is a fellow of the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry, a U.S. non-profit scientific and educational organization whose aim is to promote scientific inquiry, critical investigation, and the use of reason in examining controversial and extraordinary claims.[44] Interviewed by John Rael for the Independent Investigation Group IIG, Nye stated that his "concern right now ... scientific illiteracy ... you [the public] don't have enough rudimentary knowledge of the universe to evaluate claims."[45] In November 2012, Nye launched a Kickstarter project for an educational Aerodynamics game called AERO 3D but it was not funded.[46] His book, Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation, was released on November 4, 2014.[47] His second book, Unstoppable: Harnessing Science to Change the World, was published in 2015.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

• Chip-skiff
    Wolves Without Borders
    • Jan 2008

Re: Sarah Palin: “Bill Nye is as much as scientist as I am.”

Sarah is a certified Psychoproctologist. She has a sub-Masters from the SE Alaska College of Christian Pedagogy, School of Child Abstinence.

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
      Lurking since 1997
      • Sep 1999

Sarah Palin is full of (fill in the blank).

Does anyone outside of bobbys and his kind take her seriously? Of course, his sort eat up her nonsense with a spoon.

For the rest of us, I suppose she is good for entertainment of a low sort.
      "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Comment

• Gerarddm
        #RESIST
        • Feb 2010

Sara Who?

God's teeth, will we ever be relieved of her inanity?
        Gerard>
        Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• B_B
          Banned
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Norman Bernstein
          ... Hmmm... let's see.... is Sarah as much of a scientist as Bill Nye? ...
          To be fair, she does hold as many University degrees as he does ...

Comment

• Vince Brennan
            Seymour TN 37865
            • Jun 2005

Every time. EVERY freakin' time I am convinced that Her Ex-Governorship can't, simply CANNOT make a pronouncement so stupid that it could eclipse all her previous oral diahorreal emissions, she foxes me and DOES it.

I know that somewhere in there is an actual intellect, but it's been in full concealment mode for so long, it's forgotten where the light is.

Vice President? Gawd, did WE dodge a biggie there.

Bbbbbzzz, I expect your gage inst.
            http://www.frayedknotarts.com

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
              Lurking since 1997
              • Sep 1999

Originally posted by Vince Brennan
              I know that somewhere in there is an actual intellect, but it's been in full concealment mode for so long, it's forgotten where the light is.
              You are mistaken. Which explains why she consistently surprises you.

Sarah's mind is simply a vacant expanse devoid of sophisticated learning and occupied only by myth and ideology. Not unlike myriad citizens across the land.
              Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 04-14-2016, 09:35 PM.
              "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                • Apr 1999

" . . . she does hold as many University degrees as he does ..." [#5]

To be fair, a BA for Idaho in journalism is not a degree in science. A BS in engineering from Cornell is.

Comment

• Katherine
                  Too Young to be a Senior
                  • Sep 2004

He has a degree in mechanical engineering, worked for Boeing, and guest lectures at Cornell in astronomy. Seems like a scientist to me.
                  Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Comment

• B_B
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Ian McColgin
                    " . . . she does hold as many University degrees as he does ..." [#5]

To be fair, a BA for Idaho in journalism is not a degree in science. A BS in engineering from Cornell is.
                    That wuz the joke ...

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                      • Jun 2003

Same as Sarah, nyuk, nyuk..

"In May 1999, Nye was the commencement speaker at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute where he was awarded an honorary doctor of science degree. He was awarded an honorary doctorate by Johns Hopkins University in May 2008. In May 2011, Nye received an honorary doctor of science degree from Willamette University[69] In May 2015, Rutgers University awarded him an honorary doctor of science degree and paid him a $35,000 speaker's fee for his participation as the keynote speaker at the ceremony. In addition, Bill Nye also received an honorary doctor of pedagogy degree from Lehigh University on May 20, 2013, at the commencement ceremony. Nye received the 2010 Humanist of the Year Award from the American Humanist Association. In October 2015, Nye was awarded with an honorary doctorate of science from Simon Fraser University"

wiki

Comment

• Jim Bow
                        Normcore
                        • Jul 2008

Bill has a Bachelor of Science. He's a scientist.

Sarah has a Bachelor of Arts. She's an artist.
                        “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Jim Bow
                          Sarah has a Bachelor of Arts. She's an artist.
                          A particular kind of artist, we see them a lot.

Comment

• isla
                            Isla Woodcraft
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Canoeyawl
                            Surrealist?
                            Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                              Old Grey Inquisitive One
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Canoeyawl
                              The sort that has their coloured pencils sharpened at both ends?
                              It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
                              The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

Working...