PDA

View Full Version : A very good BBC Radio 4 series on Deobandi Islam

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-12-2016, 04:29 AM
I found this very well worth listening to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06gqr66

Because most Muslims in Britain are either immigrants from, or descended from immigrants from, Pakistan, we tend to assume that Deobandi Islam is, so to speak, the "normal variety". Most mosques here are Deobandi. But it certainly isn't that simple, and these programmes point up the links between the Deobandi Islam that early arrivals from Pakistan brought with them and the political commitment to the Kashmir issue that they also brought with them, leading to involvement in the support of Muslim activists in Kashmir including terrorists and in due course support for the Taliban in Afghanistan.

One point that was made - one that struck home very powerfully with me - is the emphasis on Hell and damnation in much Deobandi preaching and the effect that this has on impressionable young people - who may often conclude that they are themselves eternally damned - unless they take up jihad and become martyrs...

AndyG
04-12-2016, 06:32 AM
A pair of excellent and eye-(ear?)-opening programmes.

I was taken aback more than a few times by the dismissve and obfuscatory attitude by many of the sect supporters who agreed to speak.

Andy

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-12-2016, 06:42 AM
A pair of excellent and eye-(ear?)-opening programmes.

I was taken aback more than a few times by the dismissve and obfuscatory attitude by many of the sect supporters who agreed to speak.

Andy

As was I.

There is a can of worms here, and it is not the one that I was expecting - this seems to have much more to do with old men wanting to make young men miserable. The side effects of this seem to be the causes of much of the trouble.

A parallel strikes me - Pakistani immigrants into Britain brought the Kashmir issue to Britain with them just like Irish immigrants to the States brought the Northern Ireland issue with them.

carioca1232001
04-12-2016, 09:11 AM
.....A parallel strikes me - Pakistani immigrants into Britain brought the Kashmir issue to Britain with them just like Irish immigrants to the States brought the Northern Ireland issue with them.

And for the Indian immigrants ?

They arenīt exactly staying put, it seems:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/india/from-us-to-uk-how-rss-gone-global-with-overseas-wing-hindu-swayamsevak-sangh-in-39-countries_1836942.html

The RSS has dug in quite extensively in Nepal followed closely by the US, which has a population of around a quarter million people of Indian descent.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-12-2016, 09:21 AM
And for the Indian immigrants ?

They arenīt exactly staying put, it seems:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/india/from-us-to-uk-how-rss-gone-global-with-overseas-wing-hindu-swayamsevak-sangh-in-39-countries_1836942.html

The RSS has dug in quite extensively in Nepal followed closely by the US, which has a population of around a quarter million people of Indian descent.

Oh, great... :(r