PDA

View Full Version : I keep thinking that this is the last fire if the year in the wood stove ...

coelacanth2
04-05-2016, 11:49 PM
And winter keeps coming back. 31 here tonight, schools on the other side of the peninsula were delayed due to snow this AM and we saw a few flakes here.

I have some some cold tolerant stuff coming up in the garden already, and I hope it's tolerant enough. I see by the forcasts that you folks up North are getting hit too. Good luck!

cathouse willy
04-06-2016, 12:05 AM
Very rainy and mild here all winter long, rarely below freezing and not a trace of snow. Winter weather in april just sucks.:D

Gerarddm
04-06-2016, 12:18 AM
71 in a day or two here. Yee hah.

skuthorp
04-06-2016, 12:48 AM
First cool waether in about 5 months here, I am contemplating our first fire for the year. But not today I reckon, it's wet (thank goodness), but not cold. But I will not be the decider, depends what SWMBO wants.

Gib Etheridge
04-06-2016, 01:04 AM
And winter keeps coming back. 31 here tonight, schools on the other side of the peninsula were delayed due to snow this AM and we saw a few flakes here.

I have some some cold tolerant stuff coming up in the garden already, and I hope it's tolerant enough. I see by the forcasts that you folks up North are getting hit too. Good luck!

This happened in our garden last year, onions and brassicas. You may want to wait a while and replant some of your stuff.

Beware the vernalization conundrum: This is another reason to delay planting biennial vegetables for a little longer. Many veggies (onions, leeks, carrots, beets, cabbage, kale, chard, celery, celeriac) are biennials, meaning if left in the garden over the winter, they bolt, meaning they send up flower stalks in the spring of their second year. For biennial plants, the cold chill of winter is the signal that another season has arrived and it is time to go to seed. If, for example, we start Swiss chard really early, then have a bout of colder weather in April (5-10oC/40-50oF), some or all of the plants “think” that was winter. The result is that half way through the summer, they start putting up flower stalks. We are puzzled because we consider it their first summer, but they are confused into responding as if it is their second growing season. We are pretty much the only gardeners in Canada that can run into this problem because our weather is so mild in Feb. and March that we are tempted to plant early. Increasingly variable weather due to our changing climate, however, means we are can have unusually cool spells as well as heat waves any time. Ironically, it is the hardest working, early-starter gardeners that run into this problem the most because the larger a biennial plant is when a cold spell occurs, the more likely it is to bolt. Tiny, late sown plants don’t have the energy to produce seed stalks so they don’t bolt. High risks for vernalization are: onions sets larger than a nickel, leeks the thickness of a pencil, celeriac and cabbage family seedlings with more than 5 leaves. I used to think the biggest onion sets gave the biggest onions, but those are the ones most likely to bolt. The most reliable onion sets are the smallest ones because they can be planted early without risking bolting, which allows them to develop a large root system well before the long days of May and June stimulate onion bulbs to form.

Stiletto
04-06-2016, 01:51 AM
Here in NZ at the other end of the earth, I am getting organised to get my firewood in.

skuthorp
04-06-2016, 02:40 AM
i've got several years worth stacked and dry, I've given a few trailer loads away.

Rich Jones
04-06-2016, 03:04 AM
After a very warm and very little snow winter, it was -5F here yesterday with 3" of snow the day before. Woodstove is going full tilt after being off for two weeks. Looks like winter will have a grip on April for a couple of more weeks at least. I'm OK with it, but the wife is not liking it.

StevenBauer
04-06-2016, 04:26 AM
Usually we are about out of firewood this time of year. But the winter was so mild and oil was so cheap that we have lots still. We bought heating oil for $1.35, almost $3 cheaper than last year.

Steven

Sky Blue
04-06-2016, 06:02 AM
Our last fire was more than two weeks ago. We've planted spring greens which are coming along nicely. The vines are budded and the raspberries are leafed out in deep green. I just stirred in some chicken last week. It was 81F the day before yestetday and the creeks are full. It will be a time of plenty this Spring.

Garret
04-06-2016, 06:22 AM
I'm looking at the stove roaring away. In fact I need to stoke it...

Paul Pless
04-06-2016, 07:51 AM
I'm looking at the stove roaring away. In fact I need to stoke it...

Yup same here and a mix of snow and ice pellets coming down outside. . .

skuthorp
04-06-2016, 04:30 PM
No fire here yet, the sun is out:ycool:

StevenBauer
04-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Snowing again here now.