PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglas over pine

Peterduncan
03-31-2016, 09:54 AM
I have built the Handi Billy using white pine planking on the hull. I would now like to fiberglass/epoxy over the hull. Is this possibe or is this a bad idea? Do I need to epoxy the interior as well?

skaraborgcraft
03-31-2016, 12:23 PM
I think its a good idea if its done correctly. I would also coat the inside with a minimum of 3 coats of your chosen epoxy. Many may sheath just one side and paint on the interior, but just paint will not seal and keep the wood at steady moisture content. The argument of not sealing the inside to allow the wood to "breath" if it gets wet, makes some sense, but do you want it to take up moisture when its perfectly sealed on the outside face? It is important that everywhere is coated inside.
I expect this post may be followed up by someone saying epoxy encapsulation is a waste of money because a certain Canadian boat builder has a strong personal opinion about it.
How will the boat be used? Kept afloat, trailed, beached, stored outside or undercover?

Thorne
03-31-2016, 03:50 PM
Dunno about Canadian builders, but conventional wisdom is that it ain't wise to fiberglass over solid wood planking -- as it shrinks and swells with moisture cycles the epoxy will crack, allowing moisture in to start rot. Most small boats built with white pine for planking are just painted in my experience, but I've only owned one built that way.

But much depends on the specific materials, build, design, and usage as Skara points out. Tell us more!

Todd Bradshaw
03-31-2016, 04:49 PM
It also would seem to be an awful lot of expense and trouble just for a moderate gain in abrasion resistance or durability. Unless you're planning on going down boulder-strewn rivers or sliding over gravel bars I can't see how it would be worth it. A lot of pine planked boats lasted a long time with nothing more than paint and decent maintenance.

willin woodworks
03-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Yeah, what Todd said.