PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in for Diane Rehm

TXdoug
03-23-2016, 10:17 PM
I guess Diane is pushing 80 and not on NPR as much these days. Still a soothing voice, though the cadence has slowed in recent years.
I have come to appreciate the guest journalist who sit in and do the interviews. Can anyone here help me spell Endura Lanokshanon? Curious, a very intelligent young woman.

I swear I aint no icky stalker.

Ian McColgin
03-23-2016, 10:23 PM
Googeling 'guest hosts on diane rehm' led to Indira Lakshmanan.

TXdoug
03-23-2016, 10:44 PM
Thank you Sir, that is a lot of letters to get wrong.
Are you a regular listener?

Jim Bow
03-23-2016, 11:07 PM
Diane has some sort of neurons disorder of her vocal chords. Treated with botox injections.

elf
03-23-2016, 11:46 PM
That job takes a huge amount of research to do well. I hope when she retires, there is someone able to hold her audience long enough for NPR to figure out how to find the money to support the necessary staff.

Durnik
03-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Let's face it - The Diane Rehm Show _is_ Diane Rehm.. Voice peculiarities aside, it is her heart & mind that draws people to listen.

Meaning, there will be no real continuation when she departs.. & that's ok. Let's use where she led us to find a new, better place to go. After all, we're not 'hold on to the past' conservatives here.. are we?

Meanwhile, Indira has a heck of a CV (http://www.pbs.org/weta/washingtonweek/profile/indira-lakshmanan) - tho I don't listen to NPR enough to have heard her.

bobby

Norman Bernstein
03-24-2016, 01:33 PM
Diane has some sort of neurons disorder of her vocal chords. Treated with botox injections.

The same affliction as Susan Collins, senator from Maine.

John of Phoenix
03-24-2016, 01:44 PM
An impressive résumé.

Indira Lakshmanan has reported from 80 countries in Asia, Latin America, Europe and the Middle East over seven years as a State Department correspondent for Bloomberg News and more than a decade abroad for The Boston Globe. Indira traveled regularly with Secretaries of State Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, and interviewed Clinton more than a dozen times for Bloomberg TV, Radio and Businessweek.

Indira also covered the 2008 U.S. presidential campaign, traveling with Clinton, Barack Obama, John McCain and Mitt Romney. For two years, she wrote a page two column for the International Herald Tribune, the overseas edition of The New York Times, and Bloomberg.

Indira has been a guest host for NPR’s “Weekend Edition” and “The Diane Rehm Show,” WGBH-TV’s “Greater Boston” and Bloomberg TV’s “Surveillance.” She’s been a guest commentator on PBS’s “Washington Week” and “NewsHour,” and on NPR, Sirius XM and MSNBC. She chronicled the inside story of seven years of Obama Administration diplomacy with Iran for Politico Magazine.

More here> http://www.pbs.org/weta/washingtonweek/profile/indira-lakshmanan

Michael D. Storey
03-24-2016, 04:31 PM
That job takes a huge amount of research to do well. I hope when she retires, there is someone able to hold her audience long enough for NPR to figure out how to find the money to support the necessary staff.I started to listen to her when I was running my restaurant in Georgetown, D.C., in 1990. I feel that I know her. The death of her husband and the loss of her voice I am sure are huge burdens. I wish her strength and happiness.

TXdoug
03-24-2016, 08:27 PM
Wiki claims that the Diane Rehm show started in 1984. No small wonder that I find it a comfort when I expand my listening habits in the work truck. She does plan to retire this year.

Obviously I have a preference but there have been a number of well spoken guest interviewers.

Followers of the show may enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VinoVJdxF_g