PDA

View Full Version : Craft Beer in NZ

AnalogKid
03-13-2016, 05:34 PM
So Paul, you're gonna have to start researching the place, the way things are looking.

Wellington is not only the capital, it's also the coffee capital and the beer capital, getting a jump-start on the rest of the country in the craft beer stakes.

But Auckland is catching up fast. From a boating perspective, it's got Wellington well beaten, but just as importantly, there are now plenty of places to get a proper beer. The area around where Mr. Welsford moors his live-aboard is fairly rich territory with the likes of Hallertau and Leigh Sawmill (to the north of the city, plenty of lifestyle block properties and not so many people). There's a new place opened in my local town centre and I'm properly spoiled now, just can't drink the mass produced stuff. This:

http://www.birkenheadbrewingcompany.com/uploads/5/8/6/8/58687771/8489030.pngis their headline product, but the pub itself is a freehouse 'tasting studio', i.e. different beers from around the country on fast rotation.

Perhaps Sean and Pete can add a South Island perspective.

seanz
03-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Sean (who hardly drinks at all these days) has just come back from the Catlins. Whistling Frog makes a nice ale and a very nice lager on site. 3 Boys in Chch do some good stuff and The Brew Bar at the Dux has reopened but I've not tried anything there yet.

Has Paul tried Scrumpy?
:)

Paul Pless
03-14-2016, 05:56 AM
So Paul, you're gonna have to start researching the place, the way things are looking.

tehe :D

there are now plenty of places to get a proper beer

this is very good to know

Willin'
03-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Sean (who hardly drinks at all these days) has just come back from the Catlins. Whistling Frog makes a nice ale and a very nice lager on site. 3 Boys in Chch do some good stuff and The Brew Bar at the Dux has reopened but I've not tried anything there yet.

Has Paul tried Scrumpy?
:)

I had a run in with scrumpy once. Started drinking it with lunch at a roadside rest area and forgot to stop. Had to set up camp early and sleep it off.;)

The craft beer revolution hadn't really started yet when we lived there, but I do have fond memories of Speights Old Distinction of all the big national brews. Very rich and chocolaty.

Ahhhh, the Catlins coast was perhaps the most beautiful place we camped on the South Island. Simply stunning! I'm jealous, Seanz.

David G
03-14-2016, 09:47 AM
C'mon fellas. Don't you think the joke has gone about far enough?

I mean, there's no such thing as Kiwi Beer. Most of the rest of the world has figured out by now that "New Zealand" is a mythical place. Made up by Aussies to scare their children into obedience, is the way I understand it.

Time to come clean, you lot!