PDA

View Full Version : March Madness

David G
03-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Anyone else follow college basketball at all? Official bracket is due out Sunday, I believe. Here's the latest projections --

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2016/03/11/ncaa-tournament-bracketology-projecting-field-68-bubble-teams-vanderbilt/81639524/

Rich Jones
03-11-2016, 04:24 PM
When does it start? I've no interest in basketball and all March Madness means to me is that my favorite TV shows are cancelled for the duration. -Grumble-grumble-whine-whine.... On the plus side, I've got a couple of good Bernard Cornwall books I've been wanting to get to.

Paul Pless
03-11-2016, 04:30 PM
Anyone else follow college basketball at all? meh. . .

Tom Montgomery
03-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Anyone else follow college basketball at all?I do. Unfortunately, Louisville is voluntarily out of the NCAA Tournament.

This year should be fun. There is no prohibitive favorite. The tournament is wide open.

I'll root for Indiana this year. I expect Kentucky to get knocked out before the elite eight.

hokiefan
03-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Our new coach had Virginia Tech playing really good basketball at the end of the season, winning 6 in a row before losing to #7 Miami last night in the ACC tournament. The improvement over the course of the season has been remarkable, and a lot of fun to watch. We went from a preseason pick of being 14th out of 15 ACC teams to being the #6 seed in the tournament. Unfortunately, we pretty much had to win the tourney to get into the NCAA tourney. With a little luck we'll end up in the NIT. We only lose one senior and have a couple of kids coming back from injuries that cost them the season so we should be pretty decent next year. Ought to be fun.

Cheers,

Bobby

Tom Montgomery
03-11-2016, 04:45 PM
I always have liked coach Buzz Williams (Virginia Tech) and coach Tom Crean (Indiana). Both previously coached at Marquette in the Big East and gave Louisville fits.

Vince Brennan
03-27-2016, 09:28 PM
Wow! Villanova in Final Four? Whoodathunkit?

hokiefan
03-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Looks like the two cheating ACC teams in the Final Four. Gross...

David G
03-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Since Oklahoma knocked off my Ducks, and I've always had some respect for Lon Kruger, and because I wouldn't mind seeing more of that Hield kid... I'll be rooting for the Okies.

CWSmith
03-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Today I listened to a (nice) fellow tell me how the university had to rebuild the football stadium and basketball arena because good players were going someplace else with newer facilities. I kept thinking, "Virtually none of them will have sports careers after college, so a free ride through college and an education isn't good enough?"

hokiefan
03-27-2016, 10:07 PM
There is no doubt an arms race in the world of college athletics recruiting. If you don't have good facilities it is really hard to compete for recruits. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

And while I normally do root for other ACC teams to do well, I can't bring myself to root for either of the ACC teams left in the Final Four. Sad...

David G
03-29-2016, 10:52 AM
There is no doubt an arms race in the world of college athletics recruiting. If you don't have good facilities it is really hard to compete for recruits. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

And while I normally do root for other ACC teams to do well, I can't bring myself to root for either of the ACC teams left in the Final Four. Sad...

Normally I'd be watching - even though my Ducks have been eliminated. But the fact that these two programs... emblems of so much that is wrong/corrupt in the NCAA... comprise half of the Final Four makes me far less prone to tuning in.

hokiefan
04-05-2016, 05:37 PM
The game last night really was a great game. Made even better by Villanova running a dagger through UNCheats heart at the buzzer.

Cheers,

Bobby

S.V. Airlie
04-05-2016, 05:39 PM
I don't watch but, I loved the thought that the guy who sunk the clincher's winning basket was the brother of a UNC player!

Tom Montgomery
04-05-2016, 05:49 PM
The game last night really was a great game. Made even better by Villanova running a dagger through UNCheats heart at the buzzer.
The good guys won.

S.V. Airlie
04-05-2016, 05:52 PM
The good guys won.My SIL would disagree!:(

Paul Pless
04-05-2016, 05:58 PM
150 days until the reigning national champion University of Alabama Crimson Tide football team meets the USC Trojans in Arlington Texas. . .

Can I get a Roll Tide?
David?
Sky??
Hokie???

:D

S.V. Airlie
04-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Ah, the "red tide!":(

David G
04-05-2016, 07:18 PM
150 days until the reigning national champion University of Alabama Crimson Tide football team meets the USC Trojans in Arlington Texas. . .

Can I get a Roll Tide?
David?
Sky??
Hokie???

:D

Once again... you can't figure out where to post things. Yanno... even bbbbbbbys does better in that department. PA does better. Heck... even Norman does better <G>

David G
09-21-2016, 12:57 PM
Preseason rankings are rearing their heads --

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/09/21/bleu-ribbon-releases-preseason-top-25/

Duke
Oregon
Kansas
Kentucky
Villanova
Wisconsin
North Carolina
Louisville
Purdue
Virginia
Michigan State
Xavier
Arizona
Gonzaga
Connecticut

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 01:02 PM
how fans of non football schools amuse themselves
no alabama fan has ever posted a preseason collge basketball poll, ever. . .

Preseason rankings are rearing their heads --

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/09/21/bleu-ribbon-releases-preseason-top-25/

Duke
Oregon
Kansas
Kentucky
Villanova
Wisconsin
North Carolina
Louisville
Purdue
Virginia
Michigan State
Xavier
Arizona
Gonzaga
Connecticut

David G
09-21-2016, 01:56 PM

Of course not. Alabama... even when their football program was in the doldrums... never had much of a basketball program. But... branch OUT, my boy. Bring a little balance into your life. Start following the swim team. Or baseball. Doesn't 'bama have a real baseball program? <G>

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Of course not. Alabama... even when their football program was in the doldrums... never had much of a basketball program. But... branch OUT, my boy. Bring a little balance into your life. Start following the swim team. Or baseball. Doesn't 'bama have a real baseball program? <G>

Alabama has national championship gymnastics.
Auburn has national championship swimming.

Mississippi State is the traditional conference baseball powerhouse.
Arkansas and Kentucky basketball, with notable surges from LSU and Auburn at times. . .

David G
09-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Alabama has national championship gymnastics.
Auburn has national championship swimming.

Mississippi State is the traditional conference baseball powerhouse.
Arkansas and Kentucky basketball, with notable surges from LSU and Auburn at times. . .

That's nice. They maybe branch out in that direction?

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 02:14 PM
That's nice. They maybe branch out in that direction?or maybe not. . .

David G
09-21-2016, 02:36 PM

I just noticed that canard. I'm curious how you define 'football school' if you think Oregon is not a football school. By some metrics, it's one of the top 10 football schools over the last 10 years. Last fall, I remember one of the magazines putting them right behind Alabama, and just ahead of LSU - over the 10 year period. But perhaps you've got a definition that'll get you there?

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 02:38 PM
how 'bout the number one duck fan in the bilge being here in september talking about college basketball, nary three weeks into the college football season? :D
on the other hand college basketball hasn't crossed my mind since oh say, last march. . .

David G
09-21-2016, 02:42 PM
how 'bout the number one duck fan in the bilge being here in september talking about college basketball, nary three weeks into the college football season? :D
on the other hand college basketball hasn't crossed my mind since oh say, last march. . .

If that is your definition...

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 02:48 PM
sure the ducks are a great football school
how many national championships?
how many conference championships?
have they ever lost to idaho state?

David G
09-21-2016, 02:58 PM
No... too late. You've already created your definition. Not that I like it... but I can't argue with it.

The #1 Bilge fan for a school is here on a BASKETBALL thread - at THIS time of year.

I have to give it to you. By that definition, my Ducks are NOT a football school. <sigh>

And neither is 'bama. <G>

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 03:00 PM
d'oh

David G
09-21-2016, 05:16 PM
So... since 'bama has no chance at glory on the basketball court, would you like to join me in rooting for the Ducks hoopsters?

David G
09-23-2016, 02:32 PM
PK 80 to be held in Portland. 9 of the last 13 national champions will participate --

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4385680-155/college-basketball-sixteen-team-pk80-tournament-set

bamamick
09-23-2016, 06:13 PM
Not that it compares favorably to the biggest programs, but Alabama has won the second most basketball games of any SEC team, and had a nice stretch in the 80's where we went to something like 8 Sweet 16's, and made it to an Elite 8 not too long ago.

Our baseball program (I was a season ticket holder for a few years awhile back) has been to 23 regionals and five CWS's, losing in the title game twice.

We do alright.

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
09-23-2016, 06:33 PM
and had a nice stretch in the 80's where we went to something like 8 Sweet 16'

Wimp!

bamamick
09-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Yep. Wimp was why I got into Bama basketball. The Plaid Palace used to be rocking back in the day.

Mickey Lake

David G
09-23-2016, 09:03 PM
Yep. Wimp was why I got into Bama basketball. The Plaid Palace used to be rocking back in the day.

Mickey Lake

These things come and go. Oregon won the very first NCAA basketball championship, and has only had a few periods of success since then - including now, after we hired the new coach - Dana Altman. And a bit during the Dick Harter/Kamikaze Kids years. And a bit later with Ernie Kent (one of those K.Kids) as coach. This years, it's conceivable they could contend for the title.

Just be glad that you're enjoying 'bama football now... and not back during the cheating scandal/probation years of Dennis Franchione... or the mediocrity of Mike Schula. Saban has really made it one of the benchmark programs currently. On the college level, a good head coach can make a huge difference. That's why Ohio State is now back consistently in the conversation.

bamamick
09-24-2016, 06:35 AM
For the sake of clarity, the reasons we were on probation did not happen during Franchione's time as coach, but under the guidance of Mike Dubose. Mike Shula did his best, but he is much more suited to be a qb guru than the public face of a program. We certainly do enjoy having Coach Nick Saban running the show. We hope that Avery Johnson is building something good with our men's hoops team.

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
09-24-2016, 06:55 AM
Franchione still sucked. Idiot, west coast dork. . .

Paul Pless
09-24-2016, 06:58 AM
That's why Ohio State is now back consistently in the conversation.When have the Buckeyes not been consistently in 'the conversation'?

And, while on the subject, what's your opinion of U of M, and the direction they are headed? Do they unseat Ohio State as the Big Ten's perennial national championship contender? Hell is a scant twenty mile drive from the Big House, I endure a lot of U of M talk. . .

David G
09-24-2016, 11:39 AM
When have the Buckeyes not been consistently in 'the conversation'?

And, while on the subject, what's your opinion of U of M, and the direction they are headed? Do they unseat Ohio State as the Big Ten's perennial national championship contender? Hell is a scant twenty mile drive from the Big House, I endure a lot of U of M talk. . .

Michigan? Hard to fault where the program is now. Seems like Beilein has taken a program that was floundering just a bit, and put them back on track. He's no CoachK, but he's got them playing pretty well. Heck... they even played Louisville for the national championship a couple of years back.

Paul Pless
09-24-2016, 11:44 AM
you're killing me :D