PDA

View Full Version : The danger that is Trump

Norman Bernstein
03-06-2016, 01:45 PM
I've been paying attention, lately, to what Trump supporters have been saying. We've all heard it... admiration for the notion that he says what he thinks (or, possibly more accurately, what his supporters are thinking, but are afraid to say).

What they NEVER talk about is specifics: Trump's policies and agenda, aside from the few truly outrageous and impossible things (wall on the Mexican border that Mexico will pay for, etc.). These things aren't policy points, they're rabble rousing.

BUT, we all have to acknowledge that there is the distinct possibility that January 2017 will see a President Trump inaugurated. It's worth thinking about the possible consequences, and Nick Kristoff details them, rather frighteningly:

IS there any scarier nightmare than President Donald J. Trump in a tense international crisis, indignant and impatient, with his sweaty finger on the nuclear trigger?

“Trump is a danger to our national security,” John B. Bellinger III, legal adviser to the State Department under President George W. Bush, bluntly warned (https://www.lawfareblog.com/donald-trump-danger-our-national-security).

Most of the discussion about Trump focuses on domestic policy. But checks and balances mean that there are limits to what a president can achieve domestically, while the Constitution gives a commander in chief a much freer hand abroad.

That’s what horrifies America-watchers overseas. Der Spiegel, the German magazine, has called Trump (http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/donald-trump-is-the-most-dangerous-man-in-the-world-a-1075060.html) the most dangerous man in the world. Even the leader of a Swedish nationalist party that started as a neo-Nazi white supremacist (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10823028/EU-elections-2014-I-can-hear-the-boots-of-the-1930s-marching-through-Europe.html) group has disavowed Trump (http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/11/19/exclusive-interview-sweden-democrats-leader-jimmie-akesson-talks-to-breitbart-london-from-brussels-no-go-zone-molenbeek/). J. K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter books, reflected the views of many Britons when she tweeted (https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/674196610683940864?ref_src=twsrc)that Trump is worse than Voldemort.
Leading American conservative thinkers on foreign policy (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/04/us/politics/gop-foreign-policy-figures-denounce-donald-trumps-worldview.html) issued an open letter (http://warontherocks.com/2016/03/open-letter-on-donald-trump-from-gop-national-security-leaders/) a few days ago warning that they could not support Trump. The signatories include Michael Chertoff, the former secretary of homeland security, Robert Zoellick, the former deputy secretary of state, and more than 100 others.

“Mr. Trump’s own statements lead us to conclude that as president, he would use the authority of his office to act in ways that make America less safe,” the letter declared.

A starting point is Trump’s remarkable ignorance about international affairs. And every time he tries to reassure, he digs the hole deeper. Asked in the latest debate to name people whose foreign policy ideas he respects, Trump offered Gen. Jack Keane, and mispronounced his name.

Asked about Syria, Trump said last year that he would unleash ISIS (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-60-minutes-scott-pelley/) to destroy Syria’s government. That is insane: ISIS is already murdering or enslaving Christians, Yazidis and other religious minorities; executing gays; destroying antiquities; oppressing women. And Trump wants ISIS to capture Damascus?

A second major concern is that Trump would start a trade war, or a real war. Trump told The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/01/07/donald-trump-says-he-favors-big-tariffs-on-chinese-exports/) in January that he favored a 45 percent tariff on Chinese goods, then denied (http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/102950de8cdb4e83b0af0082fe340d36/ap-fact-check-audio-refutes-trumps-claim-china-tariff) ever having said such a thing. The Times produced the audio (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/audio/politics/011516trump/trump.mp3) (that part of the conversation was on the record) in which Trump clearly backed the 45 percent tariff, risking a trade war between the world’s two largest economies.

Trump has also called for more U.S. troops (http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/meet-press-transcript-august-16-2015-n412636) on the ground in Iraq, and raised the prospect of bombing North Korean nuclear sites. A poorly informed, impatient and pugnacious leader can cause devastation, and that’s true of either Kim Jong-un or Donald Trump.

The third risk is to America’s reputation and soft power. Both Bush and President Obama worked hard to reassure the world’s 1.6 billion Muslims that the U.S. is not at war with Islam. Trump has pretty much declared war on all Muslims.

The damage to America’s image is already done, even if Trump is never elected. Simply as a blowhard who gains headlines around the world, he reinforces caricatures of the United States and tarnishes our global reputation. He turns America into an object of derision. He is America’s Ahmadinejad.

On Twitter, I suggested (https://twitter.com/NickKristof/status/705805844546502657) that Trump was pugnacious, pugilistic, preening and puerile, and asked for other P words to describe him. The result was a deluge: petulant, pandering, pathetic, peevish, prickly, pernicious, patronizing, Pantagruelian, prevaricating, phony, presumptuous, potty-mouthed, provocative, pompous, predatory and so many more, including the troubling “probably president.”
There’s something heartbreaking about the prospect that America’s next commander in chief may be a global joke, a man regarded in most foreign capitals as a buffoon, and a dangerous one.

Trump is not particularly ideological, and it’s possible that as president he would surround himself with experts and would back off extreme positions. It was a good sign that on Friday he appeared to reverse himself (http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/03/04/donald-trump-reverses-position-on-torture-and-killing-terrorists-families/) and pledged that he would not order the U.S. military to commit war crimes, yet that’s such an astonishingly low bar that I can’t believe I just wrote this sentence!

In any case, Trump is nothing if not unpredictable, and it seems equally plausible that he would start new wars. It’s a risk that few sensible people want to take. As Mitt Romney notes (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/04/us/politics/mitt-romney-speech.html), “This is the very brand of anger that has led other nations into the abyss.”
Peter Feaver, a Duke University political scientist who was a national security official in the Bush White House, noted that most Republicans are united in believing that President Obama and Hillary Clinton have damaged the United States and added to the burdens of the next president.

“Yet what Trump promises to do would in some important ways make all of the problems we face dramatically worse,” he told me. “Why, at a moment when the country desperately needs our A-team, would we send in the clowns?”

Paul Pless
03-06-2016, 01:55 PM
This could not have somehow fittingly been posted to one of the other of dozens of anti-trump threads posted in the bilge in the last three or four days? It demands its own thread?

Durnik
03-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Or -

IS there any scarier nightmare than President Cruz or Rubio in a tense international crisis, indignant and impatient, their Ideologically driven finger on the nuclear trigger?

Ego can't be as dangerous as the Dominionism of Cruz, or the neocon driven 'might is right' of Rubio, eh?

I want none of them in government, never mind, the White House - but an ego driven narcissist can hardly be the worst.

bobby

Paul Pless
03-06-2016, 02:12 PM
There’s something heartbreaking about the prospect that America’s next commander in chief may be a global joke, a man regarded in most foreign capitals as a buffoon, and a dangerous one.didn't eight years of w prepare us for this???

bobbys
03-06-2016, 02:27 PM
This could not have somehow fittingly been posted to one of the other of dozens of anti-trump threads posted in the bilge in the last three or four days? It demands its own thread?.

Huff post requires junior cub reporters to start Multiple threads per day on various forums before they can join the editorial team ...

Liberals believe they had success knocking down SP by character assaination , Now the goal is to knock DT down or if he wins destroy his presidency ..

Nazi, racist, con man, cheater, Fascist, anything goes .

Which leads me to lean towards DT as this despicable. Method will be used on any republican..

DT is the ONLY one to survive it and fight back.

LeeG
03-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Picky, picky, picky
He goes with is gut, er gonads
Whatever
Murica!

Breakaway
03-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Its only the primaries. Trump is a salesman. He's in the preliminary, lets-play-a-round-of golf stage of this deal. He's not giving anything away until he's got a commitment. At least that's what I think. I mean, why should he? Let the others lock themselves into various positions and then see how the public responds. If he gets the nomination, he can then concretize and flesh out his positions.

Kevin

Steve McMahon
03-06-2016, 02:45 PM
This could not have somehow fittingly been posted to one of the other of dozens of anti-trump threads posted in the bilge in the last three or four days? It demands its own thread?

In the ideal world there would be a single thread for all US politics, like there is for our counterclockwise friends politics.

Paul Pless
03-06-2016, 02:58 PM
what if we could winnow it down to just one trump thread?

skuthorp
03-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Good Luck.

S.V. Airlie
03-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Good Luck.:),:),:)

Steve McMahon
03-06-2016, 03:29 PM

That would be a huge savings in bandwidth.

skuthorp
03-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Nonetheless if this the bilge is any guide at all he is still hogging the free publicity! Which after all is his object.
Astonishingly I can quote Oscar Wilde on the matter: "There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

George Jung
03-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Come on, folks - Frumph is damned near a saint:

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Racists-for-Trump/107951945899782?source=whfrt&position=2&trqid=6259057529407510830

Sky Blue
03-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Maybe Trump is the rooster that is going to keep all the European hens in line. I hope they're a little "concerned." They're acting crazier than we are right now. Europe is in deep, deep trouble.

S.V. Airlie
03-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Not possible!

They're acting crazier than we are right now

Memphis Mike
03-06-2016, 06:54 PM

Do you think you can keep your dreamy little boat pictures down to just one thread a day?

Norman Bernstein
03-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Do you think you can keep your dreamy little boat pictures down to just one thread a day?

Touche' :):):)

David G
03-06-2016, 07:08 PM

Oh carp!!! The Rev. is agreeing with me??

OK, Paul... I take it all back. <G>

Paul Pless
03-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Touche' :):):)the boat pics are to flush this crap away. . .

Memphis Mike
03-06-2016, 07:21 PM
I mean lets get real here, who wants to look at pictures of boats in multiple threads day after day after day? And all of them are boats that only Donald Trump could afford to begin with. Not me sez I!

Paul Pless
03-06-2016, 07:30 PM
i suggest you place me on your ignore list

Norman Bernstein
03-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Pless, I'll make you a deal. you post what you want, and I'll post what I want. I promise not to look at your threads, and you don't have to look at mine. Fair enough? :):):)

Paul Pless
03-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Pless, I'll make you a deal. you post what you want, and I'll post what I want. I promise not to look at your threads, and you don't have to look at mine. Fair enough? :):):)is my criticism too harsh for you?

Durnik
03-06-2016, 07:45 PM
...who wants to look at pictures of boats in multiple threads day after day after day?

I'm good with that.

And all of them are boats that only Donald Trump could afford to begin with.

_All_ of them? Nah - some are good. ;-)

bobby

Memphis Mike
03-06-2016, 07:59 PM
i suggest you place me on your ignore list

I don't need an ignore list to ignore you.

Duncan Gibbs
03-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Ha!

It's become about who looks at what thread, instead of all about The Donald. The Donald will be well pissed off! :D:D:D

Sky Blue
03-06-2016, 08:19 PM
How about this for dangerous? Leaks now say Trump's general election strategy will be the +1 Rust Belt strategy, GOING TO THE LEFT of Hillary Clinton in the general on trade, infrastructure, foreign policy and Iraq, and muting her on women's issues, abortion and other social issues that will not be seriously in play owing to Trump's moderation. Trump is going to go for white Sanders supporters (is there any other kind?).

Sanders and Trump sound almost identical right now on various trade and economic issues.

SMARTINSEN
03-06-2016, 08:23 PM
^the base stay home in that senario and he still looses.

S.V. Airlie
03-06-2016, 08:25 PM
How about this for dangerous? Leaks now say Trump's general election strategy will be the +1 Rust Belt strategy, GOING TO THE LEFT of Hillary Clinton in the general on trade, infrastructure, foreign policy and Iraq, and muting her on women's issues, abortion and other social issues that will not be seriously in play owing to Trump's moderation. Trump is going to go for white Sanders supporters (is there any other kind?).

Sanders and Trump sound almost identical right now on various trade and economic issues.Like his tax returns?When is this gonna be leaked?

Rum_Pirate
03-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Sanders and Trump sound almost identical right now on various trade and economic issues. To whom is this most detrimental ?

Glen Longino
03-06-2016, 08:31 PM

Sanders and Trump sound almost identical right now on various trade and economic issues.

"GOING TO THE LEFT"...

Trump might bloviate to the left but he's not "going" anywhere!
You're not that naïve, you're merely that disingenuous!
Who the hell do you think you're talking to around here?

Paul Pless
03-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Sanders and Trump sound almost identical right now on various trade and economic issues.Don't even go there with that lie; the basics of all economic issues for America starts with tax policy - the two could not be further apart.

Keith Wilson
03-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Neither protectionism nor isolationism are 'left' issues. Both have historically had lots of support on the right as well as the left.

Paul's dead right about tax policy. Trump's will gladden the hearts of all obscenely rich folks across the US. Read it and weep (https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/tax-reform).

Sky Blue
03-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Getting back to the OP, how credible are these BushCo "national security" and "danger to the world" arguments?

Are you kidding me? BushCo hectoring Trump about being a danger? The Trump people are livid about BushCo crimes too, we've learned.

paulf
03-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Trump is not the danger. Cruse is!

A fundamentalist ding bat who is smart and basically EVIL.

Cruse is a person that if drowning, I would approach feet first.

S.V. Airlie
03-06-2016, 09:02 PM
The Trump people are livid about BushCo crimes too, we've learned.

As with everything you post, pure BS, no facts, Nothing, So be it, Tis always so!

Glen Longino
03-06-2016, 09:12 PM

That is also my take on Cruz.
Very telling that the RNC would prefer that lizard to Trump.

Keith Wilson
03-06-2016, 09:16 PM
. . how credible are these BushCo . . .Mr Trump has said completely idiotic things about foreign policy. He's said idiotic things about protectionism . He's then often said something very different the next day or the next week, sometimes just as idiotic. These people are pointing that out. They are not wrong. The fact that some of them my have worked for the Bush administration (either one, for that matter) makes their argument neither better or nor worse; you understand the ad hominem fallacy as well as anyone.

I agree 100% about Cruz.

S.V. Airlie
03-06-2016, 09:20 PM
That is also my take on Cruz.
Very telling that the RNC would prefer that lizard to Trump.Well, the RNC agree with him on the SC nominee, Abortion, Family values (HAHA), Christians Obamacare, guns, the environment, industry and the Constitution. They can accept the LITTLE things; when he closes down the gov.,being a "T Partier, limit the gov.. What do you expect?

paulf
03-06-2016, 09:28 PM
The hedonist, bombastic, Trump is a much more manageable enemy than Cruse, There is, in Cruse, an evil, sly, cunning, calculating "rat Frequenter" waiting to infect the world!

Glen Longino
03-06-2016, 09:33 PM
The hedonist, bombastic, Trump is a much more manageable enemy than Cruse, There is, in Cruse, an evil, sly, cunning, calculating "rat Frequenter" waiting to infect the world!

And those are his good qualities!:)
I shudder to think what lurks within Cruz beyond our view.

paulf
03-06-2016, 09:42 PM
And those are his good qualities!:)
I shudder to think what lurks within Cruz beyond our view.

My fear is that American Voters change like Fall Fashions and for the same reason, boredom. Their understanding, limited!

Hell, This is our lives, our future, our existence.

No big deal!

Glen Longino
03-06-2016, 09:45 PM
My fear is that American Voters change like Fall Fashions and for the same reason, boredom. Their understanding, limited!

Hell, This is our lives, our future, our existence.

No big deal!

Exactly!

bobbys
03-06-2016, 09:54 PM

I think it's a great idea.
Norm ,I think Yer ego is the reason you don't want one thread.

So to fix this how about YOU start the all trump thread.

Then you can look at Yer name in lights.

paulf
03-06-2016, 09:57 PM

Why are you a Norm hater?

bobbys
03-06-2016, 09:59 PM

I would save Glen if he wuz drowning.

heck he drowns here every day and I jump in to save him.

bobbys
03-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Why are you a Norm hater?

How is that hate?

Glen Longino
03-06-2016, 10:02 PM

How about YOU fix BobBS and let Norman take care of Norman?
You've got your work cut out for you little buddy!lol
Don't come back here until you're fixed.

Rum_Pirate
03-06-2016, 10:05 PM

I would save Glen if he wuz drowning. So would I.

He is entitled to his views, whether they are right or wrong he is entitled to them, but that does not mean he should be left to lose his life by drowning.

David G
03-06-2016, 10:07 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/12066003_10154055846479255_3110965270693063225_n.p ng?oh=86dd41300391b721b440ec3fde7d714e&oe=57560714

bobbys
03-06-2016, 10:09 PM
How about YOU fix BobBS and let Norman take care of Norman?
You've got your work cut out for you little buddy!lol
Don't come back here until you're fixed.

So tell me why are you against having one thread?

Durnik
03-06-2016, 10:12 PM

I would save Glen if he wuz drowning.

heck he drowns here every day and I jump in to save him.

Well, Of Course! Glen (yeah!, only one 'n'! ;-)) isn't "A fundamentalist ding bat who is smart and basically EVIL". He's much more a sweet, lovable (bear with me, Glen - I'm campaigning for ya!) curmudgeonly ole coot!

see? ;-)

enjoy
bobby

David G
03-06-2016, 10:20 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtl1/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/12801175_963669723725092_2382700392323383645_n.jpg ?oh=927e43ebb801d42966779143f5f20c0f&oe=574FCF06

Durnik
03-06-2016, 10:22 PM
^ there it is.

bobby

Glen Longino
03-06-2016, 10:32 PM
^ there it is.

bobby

Yep!

Sky Blue
03-06-2016, 10:37 PM
Yipper skipper!

Sky Blue
03-06-2016, 11:31 PM
The Bilge liberals ought to consider Boy Wonder's thoughtful words as they create and contribute to Trump threads on this Forum. Walk the talk, as it were.

bobbys
03-07-2016, 12:54 AM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtl1/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/12801175_963669723725092_2382700392323383645_n.jpg ?oh=927e43ebb801d42966779143f5f20c0f&oe=574FCF06

This is the libs talking points.

Racism and bigotry..

All Ad hominum.

PeterSibley
03-07-2016, 05:03 AM
No bobby, the racism and bigotry are from Trump's mouth. You may find it unusual that some people don't like racism and bigotry but it's a fact.

Duncan Gibbs
03-07-2016, 05:17 AM
Try this version:

It's true in a sense that Trump has stolen the Republican party. But it's also true it was there for the taking. There are many reasons Trump is succeeding – anger and disillusionment among a humiliated electorate is one of them. But there's also the fact that the Republicans have been training their voters to indulge every reactionary prejudice for years. Trump simply does this better, louder, and with less varnish than his rivals. Can we be surprised when he vanquishes them? Can the Republican establishment really cry foul when he outdoes them?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/malcolm-turnbull-in-the-middle-of-an-upheaval-of-conservative-politics-20160302-gn93e1.html#ixzz42D8DTcEY

Nicholas Scheuer
03-07-2016, 05:36 AM
Maybe "we" could winnow the boat porn pics down to just one, too, eh? There is a Miscl. Boat Related section one flight up from the Bilge, Paul.

Duncan Gibbs
03-07-2016, 06:08 AM
I vote "we" don't need any winnowing!

PeterSibley
03-07-2016, 06:18 AM
Pron uber Trump!!

Duncan Gibbs
03-07-2016, 06:34 AM
Not sure if The Donald still owns it, but you've gotta admit that it looks like a nautical Dalek:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/Kingdom_5KR.jpg/290px-Kingdom_5KR.jpg

http://www.superyachtfan.com/Donald_Trump_yacht-1.JPG

Daniel Noyes
03-07-2016, 06:56 AM

Attention Everyone! a Partisan Dem is saying negative, un-true things about the Republican Party!... So Repubs, did that little B&R campaign (Bigotry and Racism) change/ enlighten your minds?

This is the libs talking points.

Racism and bigotry..

All Ad hominum.

Ad hominum... Ad nauseam

+1... we only need 1 Trump thread... 'nuff said.

Duncan Gibbs
03-07-2016, 07:07 AM
sO long...

aS yOu proMISe to tYpe awl IN ONEfONt size, with Kno bolded bits an spell gOOOderer! OKAY!?!

Daniel Noyes
03-07-2016, 07:15 AM
Ad hominem... Ad nauseam

... :rolleyes:

Duncan Gibbs
03-07-2016, 07:30 AM
Latin eh!

Daniel Noyes
03-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Ad hominum... Ad nauseam ... 'nuff said.

(wow... this is way too easy :D )

Duncan Gibbs
03-07-2016, 07:35 AM
A lie repeated often enough becomes the truth?

Shootin' fish inna barrel!!

Sky Blue
03-07-2016, 08:47 AM
One of the reasons for Trump's popularity is the chauvinism showed for these voters, as we see here in this thread and most of the others. Many have lost their jobs and homes while at the same time the political left cannot often enough tell them what racist, sexist, homophobic haters they are. They're fed up.

bobbys
03-07-2016, 12:00 PM
So how about it Norm , start one DT thread.

Unless of course the plan is to headline multiple threads for partisan propaganda reasons.

Duncan Gibbs
03-07-2016, 04:17 PM
One of the reasons for Trump's popularity is the chauvinism showed for these voters, as we see here in this thread and most of the others. Many have lost their jobs and homes while at the same time the political left cannot often enough tell them what racist, sexist, homophobic haters they are. They're fed up.
Maybe they lost their jobs because they didn't abide by normal business HR policy to not be racist, sexist and homophobic haters on the job. Maybe instead of being "fed up" they should grow up and take responsibility for their own lives.

Sky Blue
03-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Is ISIS a danger?

Norman Bernstein
03-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Is ISIS a danger?

Sure.

An existential danger to the US?

Not by a long shot.

skuthorp
03-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Like it or not Donald is the most interesting development in US politics for a very long time. He's broken the mould, and if elected may go on to break a few more. He's blindsided his own party (presuming he's a member) left the press floundering, rewritten the financing of campaigns and thrown the PC bible out the window. Add panic in the ranks of the party bosses to that.

The Hitler comparison smacks of desperation.

Norman Bernstein
03-07-2016, 04:36 PM
The Hitler comparison smacks of desperation.

It's just an observation and comparison. Nobody is saying Trump is exactly like Hitler. What IS being said is that his political tactics, and in particular, the tone and behavior of his rallies, look remarkably similar to the ones we've seen on historical newsreels.