PDA

View Full Version : Back lean coming on H12.5 What lumber to use??

Jochen
03-02-2016, 06:50 AM
I am currently building a shallow draft version of the Herreshoff 12.5 like the one called
Haven 12.5. The hull was build upside down with 1/2 " cove concave Cyprus full length glued and nailed. covered with fibre glass cloth on the outside and mat on the inside. I am now working on the inside Centerboard / deck / bulkheads/ seats and am getting ready to work on the deck gunnels and coming . The coming-back lean has quite a curve-bend to it so I am wondering what the best lumber for this would be? I have a long enough steam box. I have a few years experience but never attempted this???? all reply would be apprechiated

Bill Wiegmann
03-02-2016, 08:24 AM
I used Honduras mahogany for my Haven coaming, but, despite steaming, the coaming cracked forward of amidships where it takes a sharp bend inward toward the centerline. To repair, I laminated two thinner pieces of mahogany, but even that required steaming.

jpatrick
03-02-2016, 12:00 PM
I built a Somes Sound which is quite similar to your Haven. I chose to use quarter sawn sapele because I like its appearance. At the time, Honduras Mahogany was in short supply at the local wood supplier but they had a good selection of the Sapele. I chose to laminate two 1/4" pieces rather than steam bend. Doing it this way enabled me to hollow out and reinforce the critical area where the coaming steps up onto the foredeck. Nearly every builder has found this to be a troublesome spot and there are various ways to deal with it.

The coaming is said to be the most difficult aspect to the building of one of these boats. I won't disagree with that.

Jeff